Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Dave Rennie sacked by BR

32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hip injury wasn't it? 

As @Ashley said in another thread, this seems to be more than just about 'injuries'. There appeared to be some discord between him and Rodgers about interference with team selection and it's not the first manager he's done this to. I guess Rodgers just couldn't be arsed with it any longer. 

...If Rennie is trying to tell Rodgers which players to pick, this is surely outside of his remit!!!

Now if he was advising Rodgers on the suitability of a player due to any fitness issue perceived by Rennie then he is clearly doing his job correctly.

That article appears to give a particular slant on the decision and blaming Rennie for the run in without Chilwell and Maddison due to injuries seems a poor excuse for Rodgers failure in maintaining a top four position. Rennie has been with the club for sometime, the rumours of team interference may be true but if he is advocating for the players( and that must be his primary position) not to be put in a position, which he believes, may shorten or curtail a players career, then he should be backed and not have to carry the can for someone else's shortcomings.

1 minute ago, Stevosevic said:

He was near me at Burnley away under Puel. 

He was saying things I wouldn't expect from a colleague so maybe he has previous for being a bit disruptive.

What was he saying? Without going into specific players if you don’t feel comfortable with it. 

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's clearly the reason this has happened. Rodgers' teams usually improve in the second half of the season, but this is the first time where a team has fallen back considerably.

It's harsh on Rennie, but in 15/16 the team was setup a totally different way to how we play now so it's not surprising that we want someone with experience in setting a team up for higher intensity play for our new style. As an example Jurgen Klopp did the same thing at Liverpool and it's had a huge impact - look at how much fresher they seemed when they tonked us at home despite having played in the World Club Cup the same week. 

I can definitely appreciate the concern in getting rid of someone who has been at the club for so long and been part of our greatest ever success, but I think there is precedent for it. 

The concerning thing is that it's the head physio though. 20 years ago it would make sense to hold them to account but nowadays football clubs' fitness departments, and particularly with a club of our size, will be 10's of people big and the physio really doesn't have responsibility for the fitness of the players or the overall direction of the conditioning of players.

Maybe some fresh blood will be useful but there's probably 10-20 you get rid of before removing a really popular member of staff where there is likely to be very little impact on changing the personnel in their role.

Don’t know if I’m missing the point here, but even if he was well liked and he’d been here years, if he’s going behind managers backs and causing issues, and sticking his nose in with regards to team decisions surely this was just a matter of time and we’re actually well shot of him? 

1 minute ago, String fellow said:

If true, I'm quite shocked by those overheard words from DR, although CP was indeed boring. On the question of trust in BR, let's not forget that the green and white half of Glasgow lost trust in him when he walked out on them.

You are joking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We will never know the ins and outs within the dressing room, unless there is an amazon documentary on the way (I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was actually interested in that by the way) but we all know managers have had issues controlling the dressing rooms at times and maybe Rennie was part of that. Might not have been intentional but he's been here a long time so naturally he is going to be close to the senior players who have been here a long time and Rodgers might have lost trust in him. It could of course be nothing sinister. 

I guess we will find out soon enough though, whether the players are on side or not. Big season for Rodgers, loses the dressing room here and gets sacked then I'm not sure what is next for him. 

45 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

I personally believe the idea of a medical team restructure is just the PR position, when really it's more likely misconduct, team news leaks, a big falling out etc.

If he wanted a restructure they'd have binned off more than just Rennie.

As for Rodgers leaving and taking all his staff, he has only brought with him Davies, Toure and Driscoll, plus a head of recruitment (who has brought with him two scouts). When he does leave, Congerton won't necessarily go with him straight away, just like he didn't at Celtic.

Ranieri brought Benetti and Azzalin; Puel had Appleton, Plancque and Bonnevay at different stages. It's normal to bring 3-4 members of established staff these days, mostly in the coaching side rather than medical and fitness. If Rodgers were to be sacked mid-season we would still have Sadler and Stowell as we did when Puel went, on top of the rest of the established sports science and medical team which has been here since Pearson days.

All that being said, intrigued to see if the head physio position is now a club-led appointment or someone Rodgers/Driscoll have worked with before.

Only thing I'd say is there were four or five others he tried to take with hm at Celtic but didn't go, John Kennedy and Stevie Woods being the two most high profile ones.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We will never know the ins and outs within the dressing room, unless there is an amazon documentary on the way (I wouldn't be surprised if Rodgers was actually interested in that by the way) but we all know managers have had issues controlling the dressing rooms at times and maybe Rennie was part of that. Might not have been intentional but he's been here a long time so naturally he is going to be close to the senior players who have been here a long time and Rodgers might have lost trust in him. It could of course be nothing sinister. 

I guess we will find out soon enough though, whether the players are on side or not. Big season for Rodgers, loses the dressing room here and gets sacked then I'm not sure what is next for him. 

Nor me, despite coming across as an absolute twonk in the Liverpool documentary from years ago!

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

He was near me at Burnley away under Puel. 

He was saying things I wouldn't expect from a colleague so maybe he has previous for being a bit disruptive.

Go on... 

1 hour ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...If Rennie is trying to tell Rodgers which players to pick, this is surely outside of his remit!!!

Now if he was advising Rodgers on the suitability of a player due to any fitness issue perceived by Rennie then he is clearly doing his job correctly.

That article appears to give a particular slant on the decision and blaming Rennie for the run in without Chilwell and Maddison due to injuries seems a poor excuse for Rodgers failure in maintaining a top four position. Rennie has been with the club for sometime, the rumours of team interference may be true but if he is advocating for the players( and that must be his primary position) not to be put in a position, which he believes, may shorten or curtail a players career, then he should be backed and not have to carry the can for someone else's shortcomings.

The writer of that article probably knows very little. They've just put 2 and 2 together based on last 6 months. 

If Rodgers didn't like Rennie and his physio input he'd have sacked him earlier I think. There's more to this than meets the eye and it probably won't be revealed as such the proper reasons why. 

52 minutes ago, Kopic said:

When i was sat near him he was talking to SFE saying things like, "my god puel is so ****ing shit I hate him so much. He's so bloody boring and all the lads hate him. Don't worry though Seany babes, me and the lads will get him sacked soon like we do, always works. We are untouchable, we run this town. Oh also here's the team sheet for the next one, gotta get back to the team, love you."

Not surprised they binned him off after that sort of nonsense.

almost convinced me... with this fake story.

50 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The only thing I'll say as per Liverpool Documentary. It was Rodgers first big job and the documentary/infomercial was planned before he was hired. Fenway Sports Group selling the brand back home.

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Go on... 

The writer of that article probably knows very little. They've just put 2 and 2 together based on last 6 months. 

If Rodgers didn't like Rennie and his physio input he'd have sacked him earlier I think. There's more to this than meets the eye and it probably won't be revealed as such the proper reasons why. 

Given our transfer dealings I'd say your first sentence is very apt.