Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxinNotts

Conor Coady

Has got a great ping on him but his defending sometimes leave a lot to desire. However still should be solid enough for championship level and seems like he’ll be a good character and leader to have in changing room something we’ve been missing at the back since Morgan’s been gone 

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't say I'm that enthralled by this but it could be a necessary signing in isolation.

I'm more worried by the trend of Coady, Winks, Steffan. These are experienced players coming from PL clubs on big wages where playing in the Championship is a step down and if we return to the PL aren't the profile of player that will necessarily improve or add squad value for resale and reinvestment. There's always a need for the odd one of these players but in 24 hours the 3 concrete links are all this type of player and alarm bells are ringing.

I'd prefer Coady if we had to sign one of him or Winks as a leader though.

pleased with anyone we've been linked with so far?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

For those few turning their nose up at him, you won't find many better signings at Championship level for rebuilding a team. You need one or two experienced heads with experience of promotion, good attitudes, and more importantly, leaders who can lift the squad. Coady ticks all those boxes and is still at a good playing level. He's a perfect signing for you and captain material. 

You're rebuilding your team after a gutting relegation and those types of players are massive when you have lots of important players in the dressing room about to leave.

£4-5m is nothing for him really. You're about to be minted from Maddison and Barnes leaving. Pay up! 

Why are you always on our forum? Not being rude, genuine question. Is it boring in Wolverhampton.

1 minute ago, The Bear said:

For those few turning their nose up at him, you won't find many better signings at Championship level for rebuilding a team. You need one or two experienced heads with experience of promotion, good attitudes, and more importantly, leaders who can lift the squad. Coady ticks all those boxes and is still at a good playing level. He's a perfect signing for you and captain material. 

You're rebuilding your team after a gutting relegation and those types of players are massive when you have lots of important players in the dressing room about to leave.

£4-5m is nothing for him really. You're about to be minted from Maddison and Barnes leaving. Pay up! 

Have to try your luck though. :D

I remember when the usuals were slaggin Evans. Washed up. Waste of space. Slow etc etc.

We are Championship. I think some people need to temper their expectations.

Coady is a solid accompaniment to the CBs we still have, and will in my view be good addition to the bracket we are working with. We need to curb our spending to strengthen in more important areas.

2 minutes ago, FoxyJim1987 said:

Why are you always on our forum? Not being rude, genuine question. Is it boring in Wolverhampton.

For guys like you who need the benefit of my wisdom, personality and attractive lady recommendations :thumbup:

And I only venture into the Leicester sections if its Wolves related. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can't say I'm that enthralled by this but it could be a necessary signing in isolation.

I'm more worried by the trend of Coady, Winks, Steffan. These are experienced players coming from PL clubs on big wages where playing in the Championship is a step down and if we return to the PL aren't the profile of player that will necessarily improve or add squad value for resale and reinvestment. There's always a need for the odd one of these players but in 24 hours the 3 concrete links are all this type of player and alarm bells are ringing.

we don’t know how we’re approaching the wages issue ric 

you won’t get experience in unless you pay a decent wage approx 40k with a promotion increase to around 60k.  

steffan is obviously a maresca signing because he wants his keeper to play out under pressure and he trusts him - we’ve seen how important a competent keeper who can also play is. The concern is that he won’t be fit until end sept which means coping for two months with iverson trying to play enzo ball 

the three linked today are a good start imo. We can sprinkle on the younger players with a bit of a wow factor once the base is certain.  Presumably we aren’t sure of selling barnes yet which makes it tough to bring a left winger in. 

I assume we are going to attempt to get these type of players in on low fees - what we think we’ve save on the fee will end up covering the players wage next season. The selling club want to get the wages off their books so will probably play ball.  i believe that both coady and winks could have got moves to low level PL clubs - I see the fact that they are willing to drop down as a big positive. Hopefully they  are sold on a journey with us 

• Like 2

With reflection I think I’d be quite happy with Winks and Coady. It’s a solid starting point to building a squad, there is always room for those sorts of players. The key is then adding the X factor to the team as well and some youth to complement them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a very, very good signing. As my Cov supporting mate said “you’ve got no chance of signing him mate he’s too good for the championship”….. he is exactly what we need, now we can let Evans go. Coady Faes and Souttar would be an excellent main three, then possibly a youngster to come in and bolster the ranks. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

You don't know that they are definitely coming here on 'big wages' though do you? There may be clauses promotion based incentives as opposed to really  high weekly salaries🤷‍♂️

I can make a reasonable guess based on two things. 1) we notoriously overpay players, even when faced with the issues that blighted us last summer (see Jack Harrison on 31st January 2023) and 2) Coady is supposedly rejecting PL clubs to come to us, he's not doing that unless the financial package is pretty competitive. He's already on about 70k a week I heard. Winks has a year to go on 50k a week, he's not coming here for a modest wage.

NOT FOR ME CLIVE

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I think last 2 seasons have provided we lack leaders.

We can't expect to buy 7-10 20-24 year old.

I can see us bring in a mix.

Edited by coolhandfox

There's a difference between signing experience for the sake of it and signing experience from a level above where you currently are... Huth, Fuchs, Solano, Phillips, Cambiasso to name a few. In this league it makes a massive difference. 

That's before you even start the debate on whether he's still PL quality or not. I'm certain of his character, he's not in it for one last pay day.