Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Who do you want for next season if we go up?

Jacob Greaves seems perfect for LCB, I've not watched much of him but he looks more athletic than Doyle although I'd be happy if we signed CD permanently.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Jacob Greaves seems perfect for LCB, I've not watched much of him but he looks more athletic than Doyle although I'd be happy if we signed CD permanently.

I think he would be cheaper as well.

But wouldn't be surprised if we got Doyle back on loan in the PL.

7 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I think he would be cheaper as well.

But wouldn't be surprised if we got Doyle back on loan in the PL.

Depends on what Man City think of Doyle, I don't think they'd turn down £15m ish as he's most likely not up to their standards 

• Like 1

Iván Fresneda interests me, he had a good start at Valladolid I think he’s the type of player we could use to try as the alternative RB. 

I think Spain or Portugal would be good place to look for players to do this job, largely because it’s drilled into them from a young age, so you’d like to think provided they’ve got the physical attributes to deal with the premier league….. 

The PL hasn't become brilliant because the three who came up are doing badly. The year before the three who went up all survived. We're obviously miles off the top teams but not the bottom half.

• Like 2

My main worry is that we dominate so many games at present, it's hard to judge how capable our defence is. Vestergaard, Faes and Doyle are all comfortable on the ball, great going forward, but how good can they defend?  Against better opposition that the Premier League this may be an issue. I suspect they may struggle, so for me, we may need to invest in some upgrades at the back with greater pace.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

My main worry is that we dominate so many games at present, it's hard to judge how capable our defence is. Vestergaard, Faes and Doyle are all comfortable on the ball, great going forward, but how good can they defend?  Against better opposition that the Premier League this may be an issue. I suspect they may struggle, so for me, we may need to invest in some upgrades at the back with greater pace.

The defensive unit will need looking at. Faes I think is capable… but Doyle and Vesty not in this team. Unfortunately pace is vital when playing an inverted fullback, because you’re susceptible to being counter attacked. 

It’s going to be an interesting summer, because there’s a lot of work to do to get that defence up to premier league standard. 

41 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Some people might see this as an exaggeration, but I genuinely think we’ll need four new defenders if we get promoted.

Faes is the only one I’d consider starting regularly in the Premier League. We’ll need a backup for him if Souttar goes.

I wouldn’t keep both Vestergaard & Coady, a central defender to play in the middle should be a priority imo.

Then we’ll need two players who can play on the left side. Maybe Doyle on a permanent or loan again. Jacob Greaves as mentioned by others is a clear candidate for this position.

Edited by kingfox

14 hours ago, Pliskin said:

The defensive unit will need looking at. Faes I think is capable… but Doyle and Vesty not in this team. Unfortunately pace is vital when playing an inverted fullback, because you’re susceptible to being counter attacked. 

It’s going to be an interesting summer, because there’s a lot of work to do to get that defence up to premier league standard. 

I’m not sure about writing Vesty off in the prem, I mean is he any slower than Dunk? Who’s got the highest number of passes in the league not unlike Vesty in ours. It’s about getting pace around him I guess.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

I’m not sure about writing Vesty off in the prem, I mean is he any slower than Dunk? Who’s got the highest number of passes in the league not unlike Vesty in ours. It’s about getting pace around him I guess.

Yes I agree, but added to the mix is that he is out of contract in the Summer. It will be interesting to see if he is offered a new contract and whether he wants to sign it or run his old contract down in the hope of a big signing on fee as a free agent with a new club.

10 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

No, but to Brighton use an inverted full back? Or does the CB step up? 

I agree, if we can accommodate Vesty then we should be fine, like I said the defensive structure is going to need looking at, because to play in this style the balance has to be near perfect. We will need a new CB of sorts, and we need to look at the inversion, whether we want that player to step in from CB or either WB. 

I trust Enzo to get it right however. 

58 minutes ago, ceebeefox said:

I don't have too many issues with Vestys pace or defensive ability in the prem. My main concern is while he's excellent on the ball starting play from an advanced position, I think he can be pressed deeper in his own half, and naturally we will be pushed back far more next year than we have this year. 

As well as Vesty has done this year I wouldn’t be comfortable with him in the Prem if we got promoted.

Lack of pace is a problem but his lack of physicality is just as worrying. He would get bullied. Happy with Faes but I’d want a sturdier CB/LB alongside. 

He’s also on a wedge and I’d imagine our owners have had their fingers burnt so can’t envisage us paying that sort of money to squad players again. 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Kevin Danso as a left sided CB? 

He fits the player profile I’d say.

He is far better in the middle of a three mate, would be an ideal replacement for Vestergaard/Coady. 

If Lens fail to make Europe, especially Champions League again, I’d go all out for him in all fairness, he’s been one of my favourite defenders in Ligue 1 over the past few seasons.

Would anyone consider Ross Barkley now he has found his form again?
1st season back in the prem we arn't going to be spending huge amounts on single players, we can't rely on every offshore player adapting quick enough & you do need an element of experience in the team, who knows what will happen to Vardy & Sharky next season.
Barkley's a grafter, knows what's required & is fine footballer when firing, he could be a very good 8

Edited by BKLFox
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ceebeefox said:

It's a much different system from Bodgers. I would be tempted to give him another 12 months. Would that tempt him for another crack at the Prem or would he want the security of a longer contract elsewhere?

I'd want Joachim Andersen to play the Vestergaard role. Doing great but going nowehere at Palace. Would be playing in front of Danish colleague Hermansen and can pass a football pretty well. Should be a good sell in if the fee is right. There's the added benefit is first name is Joachim, so we already have 4 or 5  songs up our sleeve for him. 

for me Faes is a real 50./50 for the prem. Too good for a shit league but needs to cut out the diving in / giving the ball away stuff if we go up and really kick on

On 31/12/2023 at 03:18, cityfanlee23 said:

Salzburg have a few very handy players at the moment,

Would have a lot of competition in the summer but Luka Sučić is a serious player, midfielder, 6ft1, very technical for his size, absolutely no doubt he ends up at a top club in Europe. 

Strahinja Pavlovic is a young CB with plenty of potential, decent on the ball, doesn’t mind possession and a decent enough passer, still quite raw but has a good future. 

Oscar Gloukh also another future top 6 player in Europe, can see him ending up in the Bundesliga, very talented, plays as a more attack minded midfielder. 

Konate very highly rated striker by them but needs a bit of time IMO, wouldn’t sign him for the prem just yet, would need a sign and loan type move. 

Of those Sučić and Pavlovic would be my priority. 

Edit: Even Gourna-Douath looks a handy player, French youth international but might struggle to get a senior cap given just how good this French midfield is going to be in the coming years, bit of a sideways step going from St Etienne to the Austrian league but could prove to be a decent player in future.

This has got Football Manager 24 plastered all over it. You'd have a hell of a side signing all them!

(NB - Sucic looks unbelievable, think he goes to a side playing European football, if not UCL)

13 minutes ago, FosseSpark said:

I'd want Joachim Andersen to play the Vestergaard role. Doing great but going nowehere at Palace. Would be playing in front of Danish colleague Hermansen and can pass a football pretty well. Should be a good sell in if the fee is right. There's the added benefit is first name is Joachim, so we already have 4 or 5  songs up our sleeve for him. 

for me Faes is a real 50./50 for the prem. Too good for a shit league but needs to cut out the diving in / giving the ball away stuff if we go up and really kick on

His contract is up in 2026, so Palace would probably command a decent fee this summer. He's highly rated and it wouldn't surprise me if teams further up the PL are keeping their eye on him

21 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Iván Fresneda interests me, he had a good start at Valladolid I think he’s the type of player we could use to try as the alternative RB. 

I think Spain or Portugal would be good place to look for players to do this job, largely because it’s drilled into them from a young age, so you’d like to think provided they’ve got the physical attributes to deal with the premier league….. 

Went to Sporting in the summer after being linked to Arsenal, Newcastle amongst others. Can't imagine him coming here unless his development stalls massively. 

• Like 1

On 04/01/2024 at 19:49, kingfox said:

Some people might see this as an exaggeration, but I genuinely think we’ll need four new defenders if we get promoted.

Faes is the only one I’d consider starting regularly in the Premier League. We’ll need a backup for him if Souttar goes.

I wouldn’t keep both Vestergaard & Coady, a central defender to play in the middle should be a priority imo.

Then we’ll need two players who can play on the left side. Maybe Doyle on a permanent or loan again. Jacob Greaves as mentioned by others is a clear candidate for this position.

Unpopular opinion but I think that IF we struggle defensively in the PL next year it will because of Faes. He's good for 70-80 minutes a game but will switch off a couple times a match and unlike in the Championship those lapses in concentration will be punished in the PL.

• Like 1