Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fightforever

Who do you want for next season if we go up?

2 hours ago, Rigga said:

Look at Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton..

we are miles  away from being a PL team..

8/16 could poss step up… not a given though..

You’d argue we’ve got a better team than some of them now. 

It‘s clear that we shouldn’t have been relegated. 

• Like 2

Question: which of last season’s departed PL players would you put in this current team and setup?

Barnes probably edges Mavididi only based on guaranteed PL output, although you’d think he would find it harsh given this year’s contributions.

Maddison imo played his best for us when in a three with Ndidi and Tielemans, so would be quite effective as one of our 8s.

I think that’s it for me. Others?

9 hours ago, Sly said:

What we need, is largely where we are expected to finish I’d imagine.

I don’t see the club wanting to fight off relegation again.

If we look at the current squad, we have some players that could make the transition.

GK: Hermansen, Stolarczyk

DF: Faes, Doyle (sign), Ricardo, Justin, Vestergaard (re-sign), Coady, Choudhury

MF: Ndidi (re-sign), Winks, Dewsbury Hall, Mavididi, Fatawu (sign), McAteer

FW: Daka

Based on what little we have seen, I’d be tempted to loan out Cannon, Nelson, Marcal, Alves and Braybrooke as they’ll need game time to develop. They might cover as backup depending on how they develop. 

So I make that a bloody big overall in squad players required for next season.

One goalkeeper for third choice. I can see this being Ward as he’s basically unsellable, due to him being tarnished. 

One defender, left footed that can cover full back / centre back. 

Two centre midfielders and two wide midfielders. Based on what we’ve seen Casadei and Akgun aren’t the sort of players that could make the step up. 

Two forwards. 

Hopefully we cover a few of those positions in January, so we are not relying on half the team getting up to speed come August.

This obviously means Vardy, Albrighton, Iversen, Souttar, Iheanacho, Smithies and Praet will be gone come August. Ideally shed some of them in January, as the build is now for next season. 

Agree with pretty much all of this, although could see Cannon staying as 3rd choice striker next year, Daka 2nd choice, so new starter needed.
Also think Yunus becomes an obligation if we go up? Still means we’re looking at minimum: 

1 x CB 

2 x CM 

1 x LW

1 x ST 

+ Fatawu, Yunus & Doyle being made perm, so 8 total. 

As for Jan I can only see business being done early if we’re able to shift Souttar or Praet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KFS said:

Question: which of last season’s departed PL players would you put in this current team and setup?

Barnes probably edges Mavididi only based on guaranteed PL output, although you’d think he would find it harsh given this year’s contributions.

Maddison imo played his best for us when in a three with Ndidi and Tielemans, so would be quite effective as one of our 8s.

I think that’s it for me. Others?

Maddison, Perez, Barnes, Tielemans and Soyuncu would all improve this squad and arguably first team.

Castagne, Soumare, Kristensen and Evans wouldn’t offer a great deal in my opinion, compared to what we have already. 

That being said, our coaching setup and tactical philosophy has clearly improved us, you never know. 

Salzburg have a few very handy players at the moment,

Would have a lot of competition in the summer but Luka Sučić is a serious player, midfielder, 6ft1, very technical for his size, absolutely no doubt he ends up at a top club in Europe. 

Strahinja Pavlovic is a young CB with plenty of potential, decent on the ball, doesn’t mind possession and a decent enough passer, still quite raw but has a good future. 

Oscar Gloukh also another future top 6 player in Europe, can see him ending up in the Bundesliga, very talented, plays as a more attack minded midfielder. 

Konate very highly rated striker by them but needs a bit of time IMO, wouldn’t sign him for the prem just yet, would need a sign and loan type move. 

Of those Sučić and Pavlovic would be my priority. 

Edit: Even Gourna-Douath looks a handy player, French youth international but might struggle to get a senior cap given just how good this French midfield is going to be in the coming years, bit of a sideways step going from St Etienne to the Austrian league but could prove to be a decent player in future.

Edited by cityfanlee23

14 hours ago, Sly said:

What we need, is largely where we are expected to finish I’d imagine.

I don’t see the club wanting to fight off relegation again.

If we look at the current squad, we have some players that could make the transition.

GK: Hermansen, Stolarczyk

DF: Faes, Doyle (sign), Ricardo, Justin, Vestergaard (re-sign), Coady, Choudhury

MF: Ndidi (re-sign), Winks, Dewsbury Hall, Mavididi, Fatawu (sign), McAteer

FW: Daka

Based on what little we have seen, I’d be tempted to loan out Cannon, Nelson, Marcal, Alves and Braybrooke as they’ll need game time to develop. They might cover as backup depending on how they develop. 

So I make that a bloody big overall in squad players required for next season.

One goalkeeper for third choice. I can see this being Ward as he’s basically unsellable, due to him being tarnished. 

One defender, left footed that can cover full back / centre back. 

Two centre midfielders and two wide midfielders. Based on what we’ve seen Casadei and Akgun aren’t the sort of players that could make the step up. 

Two forwards. 

Hopefully we cover a few of those positions in January, so we are not relying on half the team getting up to speed come August.

This obviously means Vardy, Albrighton, Iversen, Souttar, Iheanacho, Smithies and Praet will be gone come August. Ideally shed some of them in January, as the build is now for next season. 

Agree with the majority of this, think we’ll need 12-13 players coming in, with around the same amount going out.

1 - GK

1 - RCB

1 - CB

2 - LCB/LB(Doyle potentially permanent)

1 - DM

1 - RCM

1 - LCM(Hopefully Gronbaek in Jan)

2 - RW(One being Fatawu on a permanent)

1 - LW

2 - ST

Like yourself, I’d consider new contracts for Vestergaard & Ndidi. 

Ward, Iversen, Souttar, Kristiansen, Thomas, Praet, Albrighton & Iheanacho to be sold.

Casadei & Akgun can go back.

I’d contemplate letting Coady leave if Vestergaard signs a new contract, I wouldn’t keep both in the Prem. 

While finally two of Vardy, Daka & Cannon to depart, keep one as third choice.

I think we need 6 or 7.

Centre back to replace Vesty. (I have no idea on who)

Full back who can step into midfield (I still like Krejci at Sparta Prague for this)

Midfielder who can also fill in for Winks as the 6 (Bernabe)

Two attacking 8s (Lewis Ferguson and Matt O'Riley)

Winger who can play either side (Nathan Tella)

Centre Forward (Pavlidis from AZ)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Salzburg have a few very handy players at the moment,

Would have a lot of competition in the summer but Luka Sučić is a serious player, midfielder, 6ft1, very technical for his size, absolutely no doubt he ends up at a top club in Europe. 

Strahinja Pavlovic is a young CB with plenty of potential, decent on the ball, doesn’t mind possession and a decent enough passer, still quite raw but has a good future. 

Oscar Gloukh also another future top 6 player in Europe, can see him ending up in the Bundesliga, very talented, plays as a more attack minded midfielder. 

Konate very highly rated striker by them but needs a bit of time IMO, wouldn’t sign him for the prem just yet, would need a sign and loan type move. 

Of those Sučić and Pavlovic would be my priority. 

Edit: Even Gourna-Douath looks a handy player, French youth international but might struggle to get a senior cap given just how good this French midfield is going to be in the coming years, bit of a sideways step going from St Etienne to the Austrian league but could prove to be a decent player in future.

They always have a handy few players, it's a conveyor belt of young talent.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Cheeky loan bid for Smith-Rowe next season?

A better option than Casedai at least

Couldn't get off the bench in a shocking Arsenal performance today.

Would absolutely take him here, but there'll be a few established top division sides here and abroad who'd be a bigger draw and pay decent fee for him though.

On 31/12/2023 at 00:36, Rigga said:

Look at Burnley, Sheff Utd, Luton..

we are miles  away from being a PL team..

8/16 could poss step up… not a given though..

Don’t fall into that trap. You say we’re miles off, but look at Fulham…… they did really well last season……. The team we have now is better than all three of those clubs you’ve mentioned. This team with have now would have stayed up last season comfortably. 

If this team was put in the premier league now it would probably survive. We need some more quality, but it’s untrue we’re miles away, in fact, the bulk of this team is still a premier league squad. 

We’ve recruited really well this season, it seems we may have got our act together in this regard, and we will still have more to spend than Burnley, Sheff and Luton. 

Im pretty sure we will be following our old model and be looking to bring in young hungry players that we can develop and then sell on. Brendan came along and pissed all over that, now we’ve got Enzo things seem to have returned to how they were when we were a success. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Don’t fall into that trap. You say we’re miles off, but look at Fulham…… they did really well last season……. The team we have now is better than all three of those clubs you’ve mentioned. This team with have now would have stayed up last season comfortably. 

If this team was put in the premier league now it would probably survive. We need some more quality, but it’s untrue we’re miles away, in fact, the bulk of this team is still a premier league squad. 

We’ve recruited really well this season, it seems we may have got our act together in this regard, and we will still have more to spend than Burnley, Sheff and Luton. 

Im pretty sure we will be following our old model and be looking to bring in young hungry players that we can develop and then sell on. Brendan came along and pissed all over that, now we’ve got Enzo things seem to have returned to how they were when we were a success. 

We are by far a better footballing team on the eye for sure..but with more risks..

A PL team with Vest/Winks in we would get taken to the cleaners with the oppo high press..

we have no cover anywhere once our attacks break down in the championship..

imagine that in the PL

I do believe in the buy young with fatawu etc

41 minutes ago, Rigga said:

We are by far a better footballing team on the eye for sure..but with more risks..

A PL team with Vest/Winks in we would get taken to the cleaners with the oppo high press..

we have no cover anywhere once our attacks break down in the championship..

imagine that in the PL

I do believe in the buy young with fatawu etc

I agree with Vesty, he will need replacing. And as far as winks is concerned I don’t necessarily agree. What Winks will need however is someone who is adept at playing CM and RB, but has the physical attributes required to play on the premier league. 

For me you’ve highlighted the most important areas to recruit in next season. We HAVE to sign at least two new CB’s a central defender and a left sided defender, JJ I think may be good enough, because of his pace, but Doyle I don’t think is anywhere near ready, nor does will he have the physical attributes to avoid the counter attack issue you’ve highlighted. 

We need to be really smart in the next window, but for me the most important area of the pitch will be that inverted fullback role, we’ve got to ensure we get the right person to play that role, because the whole plan falls down if we don’t. Perhaps it’s N’didi again? If we can get him to own a new deal, maybe Maresca needs to look at him as the inverted fullback? 

On 31/12/2023 at 09:13, LVFox said:

I think we need 6 or 7.

Full back who can step into midfield (I still like Krejci at Sparta Prague for this)

we’ll be lucky if we can buy a new pack of training bibs in January, let alone 6-7 players…

On 31/12/2023 at 14:13, LVFox said:

I think we need 6 or 7.

Why? He has been fantastic

Agree these would be nice

One if lucky

Amad seems ideal

Amad probably covers this too

So Amad + #8 seems enough

Too many wholesale changes to the team would put us back in the baby stages of Enzos style and would almost certainly relegate us as we havent got time at the highest level to “get used to the system” so really need to be careful and pick the positions carefully without disturbing the tactics. For me right now we need a better striker, number 8 and left centre back. Any more changes to the 11 and your at risk of the above. However we might sort these in January so pre seasons transfer window might be drastically different to how we feel now.

Edited by les-tah
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MPH said:

we’ll be lucky if we can buy a new pack of training bibs in January, let alone 6-7 players…

I'm talking about the summer, not concerned if we don't bring anyone in this Jan.

• Like 1