Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

59 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Extremely talented or not, if you honestly can't see why some people are starting to despise him as an individual you perhaps need to read some of the posts more deeply.

I think that it's first and foremost defensive mechanisms kicking in rather than anything else. People are a kicking up a fuss about this loyalty bonus or whatever it is called without exactly knowing what's actually going on, as if they're only searching for a good reason to hate him because it makes things less painful to bear. 

I personally want him gone so we can move on, but still the guy is one of the best players to ever put our shirt and I won't let this kind of non-event tarnish the memories I have of him. 

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

Guest Markyblue
5 hours ago, Redouane said:

The main source I believe is BBC Sports. Other than that, I take all other medias with a grain of salt, especially in such a clickbait world. 

Ah the BBC the media outlet so fair and balanced you are joking I assume. 

Struggling to understand this 

Signed a new deal for 4 years 100k a week , puts in transfer request,tried to push a move to a bigger club then because it fell through he went  on strike because he's upset ! Again he's now wanting to break his contract he signed to join another club yet wants a loyalty payment ! .

3 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Can you really blame him for trying to get the best deal possible if this is indeed the case?

Tell me one professional footballer who would not do the same? 

Indeed

perhaps if we called it something else, people would be less excitable .....

what about ‘service fee’ based on the number of years played for the club ? 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Indeed

perhaps if we called it something else, people would be less excitable .....

what about ‘service fee’ based on the number of years played for the club ? 

He has received a handsome 'service fee' every week after signing a new 4-year contract,  its called wages.    FFS just go Mahrez and allow Leicester City plan for the future with players that want to play for Leicester.

• Like 3

Guest Markyblue
1 minute ago, ithuriel said:

or maybe just greedy ****, how about that?

Brutal and very true.

4 hours ago, themightyfin said:

Can you really blame him for trying to get the best deal possible if this is indeed the case?

That's fine, but if the owners don't believe he's due a loyalty payment then that' fine too. If Man City are his dream move though, and he subsequently misses out because they get fed up of the situation and go elsewhere, then he's only got himself to blame, therefore this time, I wouldn't expect anymore pitiful whining or strike action. He's thinking more about his pocket than Man City, Leicester or his football. He's also being advised by a notorious agent who has already had one previous run in with Man City over the Tevez affair. There could come a time when Man City, who in theory could buy most players they wanted, won't be prepared to hang on for some little upstart who is questionably little better than what they've already got and who is only really going to be a player to enable rest games for more talented players like Sane. He may be a big fish in a little pond here but on the big stage he's not as special as he believes himself to be. He's a legend in his own luchtime. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, That_Dude said:

I think that it's first and foremost defensive mechanisms kicking in rather than anything else. People are a kicking up a fuss about this loyalty bonus or whatever it is called without exactly knowing what's actually going on, as if they're only searching for a good reason to hate him because it makes things less painful to bear. 

I personally want him gone so we can move on, but still the guy is one of the best players to ever put our shirt and I won't let this kind of non-event tarnish the memories I have of him. 

I accept and understand what you say and think your probably a nicer and more content person than me for being able to think that way. I honestly don't have any problem with players leaving our club for seemingly better things and challenges to themselves by going to bigger clubs, on the contrary I usually feel very proud of them and wish them well. Let' be honest, we'd probably all do it in our own working lives given the opportunity.

It's how these things are done that perhaps wrankle with some. Selfishness, greed , lazyness and lack of respect are not qualities to be aspired to and though personally, I suppose you're right, it shouldn't bother me, I'm just not made that way and his behaviour outweighs his past bursts of talent for me personally. 

If the situation was that we were trying to force him out the door and he was eager to stay, then fair enough.

But when you request the transfer, not turn up to training to try and force the move yourself whilst still under contract, you've lost the privilege of any kind of loyalty bonus imo.

I understand that he is trying to get as much money as possible, as anyone would, but you can't resign from work and still expect to reap the benefits.

6 hours ago, dylanlegend said:

Wtf is going on here? Since when do players get loyalty bonuses? It's his agent trying to look good again.

Are Man City only paying him 10k a week or something? 

When a player is sold they get a loyalty bonus unless they hand in a transfer request that is standard/required in all contracts. Without a transfer request it is deemed that it is the club’s choice to sell them and not the players choice to leave.

When Mahrez wanted to leave in January he handed in a request to help push it through and was happy to sacrifice his loyalty bonus. He has since withdrawn his transfer request probably on the assumption that the deal will go through in the summer anyway and he’ll get a nice wedge of cash. It is his right to do so, but I can see the club’s point that he handed in his request in January and went on strike so doesn’t really deserve a loyalty payment. Technically we do owe it to him so it is now a case of who blinks first. Mahrez hands in a transfer request or Man City up the offer to cover his loyalty bonus.

It’s still early in the window and everyone is trying to get the best deal so I’m not too fussed, although Mahrez stands to lose the most so if I was him I’d just hand in the transfer request and get it done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, themightyfin said:

It’s the twatty way he’s going about it that’s peeing people off. 

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

Soon be time to start training ...   wonder if he's dubbined his boots ?     :)

Dubbin? lol

I'm pretty sure the last person to use that was Stanley Matthews.

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

When a player is sold they get a loyalty bonus unless they hand in a transfer request that is standard/required in all contracts. Without a transfer request it is deemed that it is the club’s choice to sell them and not the players choice to leave.

When Mahrez wanted to leave in January he handed in a request to help push it through and was happy to sacrifice his loyalty bonus. He has since withdrawn his transfer request probably on the assumption that the deal will go through in the summer anyway and he’ll get a nice wedge of cash. It is his right to do so, but I can see the club’s point that he handed in his request in January and went on strike so doesn’t really deserve a loyalty payment. Technically we do owe it to him so it is now a case of who blinks first. Mahrez hands in a transfer request or Man City up the offer to cover his loyalty bonus.

It’s still early in the window and everyone is trying to get the best deal so I’m not too fussed, although Mahrez stands to lose the most so if I was him I’d just hand in the transfer request and get it done.

How i read the situation is that both clubs have struggled to find common ground on the transfer fee and have now finally come to a price that is palatable for both clubs but it's not the fee either wanted to pay or receive.

Maybe the only way this works for Leicester is if we don't have to pay out £7m to Mahrez as his percentage of the transfer fee? Man City are also at their limit and will refuse to pick up that £7m themselves. If Leicester are adamant we won't pay him then Mahrez will have to suck it up or refuse to move. Refusing to move to Man City when they're probably offering him a £50k a week pay rise will be cutting his nose to spite his face. If the situation is how I perceive it to be Mahrez can only call our owners bluff which is certainly not advisable or plead to their better nature. You catch more flies with honey rather than vinegar but ultimately it will be Leicester who decide if he gets paid from this transfer fee because it's almost certain to everyone Mahrez will leave without it if he has to. 

I would be amazed if it's Riyad who is overly concerned about loyalty bonuses, when you are talking about the money he is set to earn over the next 4-5 years it's loose change, so you can only draw one conclusion it must be something or someone that is trying to squeeze every last penny out of this deal...………….I wonder who?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I don't mind it at all actually, it's just negotiating but in the public arena.

For me he's probably the greatest Leicester City player of all time and if not definitely the most skilful and easiest on the eye. I'll miss watching him but the more I think of it the more I've warmed to the idea of selling him. He's run his race here after 4.5 years and with him being 28 in February it's probably an ideal time to sell him whilst his value is at it's peak. He's done everything for this club in getting us out of the Championship and winning the Premier League to a QF Champions League place and is now leaving for the best part of a £75m profit.  We move on and perhaps we won't miss him that much with Pereria providing attacking width and Maddison and AN Other could prove to be £70m players in time?  I also think Gray looks far better on the right and this could be the making of him. The timing of Mahrez leaving is as good as it can be IMO.

2 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I would be amazed if it's Riyad who is overly concerned about loyalty bonuses, when you are talking about the money he is set to earn over the next 4-5 years it's loose change, so you can only draw one conclusion it must be something or someone that is trying to squeeze every last penny out of this deal...………….I wonder who?

Great to read some posts containing thinking and rational perspective other than the bitterness, hate and a limited understanding of the modern game and the peoples involved who range so greatly in their professional abilities - and this includes owners, senior football club personnel, agents and journalists.

2 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

It will be his agent (unfortunately) doing his job correctly and letting Riyad know he's technically now legally entitled to the bonus. Shame it wasn't the incompetent agent from before, or the transfer request would still be in and we would have been done with this.