Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Wolves H Post Match Thread 2-0

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Ugh. We really need to take more of our chances when we're on top. The two that hit the post in the first half were unlucky but we had at least two good chances to score in the 2nd half that we didn't take. We played well overall and on another day could easily have won. We certainly didn't deserve to lose or concede the way we did.

Leicester only had two shots on target all game and one of them was a deflected goal that was initially going straight at the keeper. We also had almost twice as many shots at goal. You definitely got away with one today. Even Puel admitted it. 

I'm definitely not worried about us at all judging by that. If you lot are going to be pushing for 7th/8th then we more than competed. Just the profligacy in front of goal needs to be reduced. 

You have got Man City home next and then WHam away.   1pt from 12 going into the International break and your CL place could be in tatters.   You need to get points whilst you are a PL novelty or else it is going to be a difficult season.  All this talk about hitting post 3 times, the facts are, we did not play very well, we had 10 men for 30 minutes and Kasper was redundant in the second half.  I think our bad performance was self inflicted and not because you forced the issue.   

Wolves will gain respect once you lot and certain pundits drop the arrogance card.  Some numpty on your local paper web-site claimed your team is full of  CL players?  May be true but not for Wolves.   Good luck Pal.

Edited by mozartfox
why not
  • Like 1

We may have taken the lead against the run of play, but if Wolves really were the dominant force people are making them out to be, they would have retained control for the rest of the game and put enough goals past us to win it. But they didn't.

After taking the lead, we improved. We may have had another slice of fortune with Madders' deflection but, as the saying goes, you don't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Wolves made 2 questionable subs at half-time and they never regained the kind of momentum they had before our very fortunate first goal. I was listening on the radio, and even after Vardy's red card, I didn't feel nervous in the slightest about Wolves coming back into the game.

They may have bossed the first half an hour and tried to blow us away, but I think we managed the game well and deserved to win the game. Maybe 2-0 flattered us a bit, but we deserved the 3 points.

• Like 2

I’ve heard a few people now say Wolves missed loads of chances. Did they? Are long shots from 25 yards classed as good chances? Other than the one Chillwell cleared off the line I can’t remember them threatening inside our box

They have some proper salty fans lol

• Like 4

All things considered playing a newly promoted team at home isn’t easy, it’s a pschylogical battle as well as a physical one, our midfield controlled it for me, Ndidi and Mendy were rock solid, we weren’t imposing in terms of possession, and Wolves did dominate in spells, but we put the ball in the back of the net, and Wolves didn’t. A good win, WYS.

1 minute ago, Father Ted said:

What are people's thoughts on Pereira? For me, outstanding going forward but defensively caught out again and again as he was at United and it is worrying.

Atm I think he's a better winger than fb .

6 hours ago, Fadsie said:

The red card did not help wolves in the slightest. In fact it worked against us because you just shut up shop. You offered very little before the sending off but there was more space for wolves and the game was more open. As soon as Vardy was sent off i knew it was over. Saying you beat us with 10 men is a little misleading considering you were 2-0 up and it wasnt like it was Maguire who got sent off. It was your striker who was anonomous for the game anyway.

One could call it "shutting up", others would consider it to be an appropriate tactical move (by the opposing manager).

Why risk running into counters - which you're good at, certainly took a slice of what made us successful in the past - when you can stop opposing movement in your own half by crowding one half of the pitch with ten men, using a subbed on striker (Iheanacho) as a loose No. 10?

Why do you think anyone would want to expose the decimated team against another with a one-man advantage? That'd be suicidal. It's nor no reason that they say it's easier to break down ten men as it is with eleven.

But kudos to Wolves - you play good football, yesterday made for an entertaining game. Hope you stay up, you're the closest to a derby we have right now (looking at you Forest, Derby, Coventry). :D

8 hours ago, weller54 said:

We were second best in everything apart from goals.. 

Worrying against a newly promoted team. 

Makes up for the point we deserved at OT last week perhaps.

We played fairly well, even with a man down.

Yeah, Wolves may have had more possession and subjectively dominated the match, but created little up front.

We were composed - only Pereira at right-back gave me a few scary moments, when he was caught out of position and failed to track back in time. But other than that, we looked very solid and hard to break down. Ndidi and Mendy swept away almost everything in the middle, and Gray/Chilwell and Albrighton helped out in defense, too.

Worth the effort.

Was hoping yesterday would tell us a lot about the season ahead...... what it did show is that the players ARE playing for puel. They put in a hell of a shift. 

Learnt very little else as wolves were the better side and we struggled tactically until Maddison’s elbow on neves gave us an opportunity to tweak a few things by the dug out. 

Vardy endangers an opponent with his straight leg follow through - it’s not necessary. There should  be no appeal as it’s not a clear error by the official to issue a red. shame we have to play Liverpool in the three games as he enjoys that game at the KP. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Bear said:

Oh and Ricardo is a great buy for you. I wish we had him at RWB rather than Matt Doherty. 

What I don't get is why you sold Douglas? Jonny is more suited to RWB but you're playing him LWB I assume as you have no alternative?

First game of the season: Unlucky not to get something

Second game of the season: Rode our luck but took our chances

It's still early doors - lots to work on and learn before we settle down fully. Ricardo, Chilwell, Gray, Maddison and Mendy all impressive today. Bit of madness from Vardy but it will give Iheanacho a chance to shine.

15 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

What are people's thoughts on Pereira? For me, outstanding going forward but defensively caught out again and again as he was at United and it is worrying.

I think both Pereira and Chilwell are natural wing backs and will therefore always be vulnerable, likely to be occasionally caught out of position when their instinct is to be up in support of the attack.

The obvious way to counterbalance that is to play 3 cbs and to allow your wing backs freedom to play to their strengths. Adding an extra defender may appear a defensive move but the extra attacking potency on both flanks more than makes up for that. The extra cb can also push up when the situation demands it to reinforce the midfield.

My view is that this works best when one of the cbs has speed to cover the wing backs. Also better if at least one cb has the ability to play the ball out. My hope is that the Turk will have that speed, and both he and Maguire look to have the ball-playing skills. This formation gives more flexibility, which I suspect Puel would like.

• Like 1