Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

So many "puel out" calls from fans, so who replaces him?

9 hours ago, STUHILL said:

why? Because some are unhappy about a Manager under performing? Try every other team forum who lost today! 75% probably have some posters on their calling for their manager's head! 

Stop being dramatic ;)

I'm not talking about that. I think our fans are generally embarrassing. I understand why people aren't happy with the manager, but what's mad is that there were people wanting him to go as early as January. What exactly was he doing wrong at that point? Also our away ends are an absolute shambles and our home atmosphere isn't great either. I remember being in the away end at Goodison Park with people singing 'Champions of England, you'll never sing that' at Everton (nine league titles! Fourth highest amount in the country) as well as you'll never walk alone. Completely embarrassing. 

3 hours ago, HKFox said:

Can I please ask why you think this is embarrassing ? We show no improvement, concede lots of goals since Puel has come in, we have a very talented squad and with a decent manager we would be challenging for top 7 certainly with a team showing pride to play for us, instead of what we have seen since christmas. 

We are 10th 5 games into the season.  I can see what he's trying to do by playing the younger players as they are the future. It's not always going to work, remember we played a decent Bournemouth side away. Yes CP is frustrating at times and is slow to make subs. It's not perfect, but some fans never wanted to give him a chance from the start.

13 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Anyone who has posted Rafa Benitez in this thread should delete their account, take themselves to a tall building or cliff and throw themselves off.

Just a couple of points for me because I keep seeing his name pop up...

His football is defensive, more defensive than Puel. The other week Newcastle were at home, yes at home, against Chelsea and Newcastle didn't even try to score never mind win the game.

Be ready to welcome back a target man. IE Slimani. And that's another point, Slimani and UIloa were deemed not good enough on here yet now we haven't got them they're suddenly the answer to our problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HKFox said:

Can I please ask why you think this is embarrassing ? We show no improvement, concede lots of goals since Puel has come in, we have a very talented squad and with a decent manager we would be challenging for top 7 certainly with a team showing pride to play for us, instead of what we have seen since christmas. 

This. 

Its not only this season it’s what we saw last season.

He clearly cannot inspire a talented squad of players or apply correct tactics to fit the players we have.

Nothing has changed; even with him having ‘his own’ players in two transfer windows.

• Like 2

I suppose we must accept that this season is a transitional season and mid table should be satisfactory, that means winning at home and trying our luck away. The stress test for Puel is the players he's bought in and the young players he's put his faith in.

I've always thought we should have splashed the cash on a Mahrez replacement that would have been Premier League ready and that's what we're missing, Ghezzal might come good but we're also waiting for Gray to come good, we're putting too much pressure on developing players

6 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Former West Ham boss David Moyes says he "was disappointed not to be offered the opportunity to stay" at the club after keeping them up last season but still believes he is "in the elite group of managers".

Be careful of what you might wish for...?

When was he ever in the elite group of managers?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I suppose we must accept that this season is a transitional season and mid table should be satisfactory, that means winning at home and trying our luck away. The stress test for Puel is the players he's bought in and the young players he's put his faith in.

I've always thought we should have splashed the cash on a Mahrez replacement that would have been Premier League ready and that's what we're missing, Ghezzal might come good but we're also waiting for Gray to come good, we're putting too much pressure on developing players

How many more "transitional periods" do we need? I'd like to give Puel more time based on a full pre-season now and leave the deserved frustration surrounding the second half to last season behind, but deary me, how much more patience can one stand?

I don't see how it is "putting too much pressure on developing players" when you know that Gray has already played 80+ times in the Premier League and Chilwell half of that. Chilwell seems to cope with the "pressure" and has improved in my eyes, Gray for instance hasn't (despite positive signs in pre-season).

Meanwhile, the manager persists with Morgan as a starting centre-back, even though it's pretty clear to most fans that the player's no longer up to speed. That's not vitriol or hate as some might still imply, that's stating facts.

Puel also persists with Pereira and the player makes the most basic mistakes for a so-called defender and instead opts to play as a winger.

Puel has brought Mendy back in (who deserved a crack at it more than anyone else after his unfortunate injury spell), but Ndidi is set as a starter and escapes all criticism, despite also already having 50+ PL matches on his CV.

The personnel decisions are the manager's, but they strike me as somewhat odd.

We are now close to entering Shakespeare territory again, looking at the results so far. I do hope that Puel can avoid making the mistakes the previous manager has made or avoid a similar fate based on results. That Puel was given a lifeline after last season's appalling period between mid-December 2017 and May 2018 (five wins out of 21 matches) should've given him enough incentive to work on his failings.

The next three matches are pivotal in that regard.

• Like 2

We're gonna have threads like this after nearly every defeat aren't we? There's no stand out candidate to replace puel who will massively improve us. Under him or a replacement we're probably going to finish between 7th and 13th that's our place in the pecking order currently and that's nothing to be ashamed of. Basically threads like this exist due to a lot of fans having made up their minds about Puel and point blank refusing to change it unless he achieves the absolute maximum possible with us. The amount of people believing we deserve to go to a midtable team in one of the world's strongest leagues and waltz away with the points or that being below 7th place is a disaster is incredible.

• Like 2

Earlier in the season we were linked with Martinez and Henry. IF Puel was sacked the club would appoint someone with a reputation for playing technical football and developing youth. Belgium played the best stuff in the World Cup which is why those links are believable. Brendan Rogers at Celtic would also fit the mould. 

Whilst it’s understandable to hear the Puel out shouts I also find it a bit disappointing to hear them so early. If after ten games the consensus is that we are shite and struggling in the league then fair enough. But this is a team in transition so it will still take some time to gel. And whilst the Bournemouth result was disappointing I still saw a team playing for the manager and fans and playing some nice stuff. Defending let us down and playing the high line with Wes in the team is questionable indeed!

At the end of the day I want the club to succeed regardless of who’s in charge and will get behind the team. I also trust our owners as they pulled the plug on Shakespeare early last year so you can be assured if they aren’t happy that they will act. IMO they are genuinely fans of the club and not in it to make a quick buck. 

Puel deserves more time IMO and hope he can repay the faith shown in him. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

This is all none sense.  Puel will not get us relegated, though bringing in another manager might.  Overall, we’re not playing  badly.  We have a poor defence that is costing us games.  I fear we will remove Puel and bring in a Shakespeare (a decision I still cannot understand).  Replacing a good manager with someone who is “available” makes me wonder why is he available.  Let’s wait till the end of the season and then see if he needs replacing, and who would be best to replace him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

We are 10th 5 games into the season.  I can see what he's trying to do by playing the younger players as they are the future. It's not always going to work, remember we played a decent Bournemouth side away. Yes CP is frustrating at times and is slow to make subs. It's not perfect, but some fans never wanted to give him a chance from the start.

Valid point. Most fans gave him time from the start and performances for a brief period were very high standard then we have been very stale since christmas arguably. Bournemouth are a decent side at home and I have no problem losing to them. However the manner of the defeat the abysmal tactics to play a high line with 2 slow cbs and both fullbacks continuously bombing forward leaves a lot to be desired. Puel is coming up to 25 league games for us I think, which granted does not sound a lot, but there are no signs or progression to our play or to anyone of our players, in fact there has been a severe decline in performances since his initial good spell in charge. We have a very good team on paper, who play well below the team capabilities I think. 

17 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It doesn't matter what Puel does - he won't win over the fans regardless of what results come in.  That's the conclusion I have come to.

Performances and results win over fans, he has produced neither.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the biggest problem I have Is the manner of defeat ,i,m struggling to see exactly what kind of team the manager wants us to be..

A loss at home next week would change peoples perception of him , one thing for sure he is on borrowed time if results don't pick up..

I was at the Sheffield Utd match in which our fans chanted for O'Neil to F*** Off. If we had gotten our way, those terrific years with him would never have existed. I too am gutted at our performances in the last few games but as has  been stated already , changing managers every five minutes is not the way forward. Stability is the key as well as bringing in younger players. Its only a few months since Chillwell was being slated but having a run in the team has improved him no end. So lets grit our teeth, and ride this storm; you never know, it might turn out to be glorious.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sharpe's Fox said:

Benitez is a world class manager anyone who wouldn’t have him here is deluded. If Puel had Newcastle’s squad with us he’d be on minus points somehow.

I agree that Benitez is world class but he is extremely defensive minded. If you want attractive, attacking football which I do, don't look to Rafa. 

So i have to put myself in the deluded category as I admire him very much as a person but don't want his football style here.

4 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Completely understand that, just think the owners will want a big name manager and there was a big link with him in the summer; if there’s any legs in the story isn’t known, but certainly matches the owners ambitions.

We are always told that the owners will want a big name manager, but apart from Sven which was an anomaly, we end up with Managers like Puel.

Graham Potter, with Chris Powell as one of his assistants..

Both are highly-regarded, especially the latter, in the English game and will have learnt valuable technical aspects of the game with their managerial careers they've had already.

Edited by Wymeswold fox
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Just a couple of points for me because I keep seeing his name pop up...

His football is defensive, more defensive than Puel. The other week Newcastle were at home, yes at home, against Chelsea and Newcastle didn't even try to score never mind win the game.

Be ready to welcome back a target man. IE Slimani. And that's another point, Slimani and UIloa were deemed not good enough on here yet now we haven't got them they're suddenly the answer to our problems.

Exactly this! I'm surprised every time I see his name mentioned. Against the big teams he doesn't even set his teams up for a game purely to hang on for 90 minutes. Awful football.

Talk about impatience!    Claude Puel hasn't even been with us a full 12 months yet!   Give him a chance.   It takes time.

(even the greatest manager in recent years - Alex Ferguson - took years before getting Man Utd playing how he wanted.)

4 of the last 5 managers to get Leicester City promoted, have all had really dodgy spells - where nothing seemed to be going right, and we just looked like we were getting worse.   But in every case, they turned it around and we either got promoted that season, or the following season.

2012-13 (Nigel Pearson)
After beating Wolves 2-1 and being in the automatic promotion spot in January, we then won only 1 of our next 13 league games.
We managed to scrape into the playoffs but were beaten in the Semi Finals by Watford.  The following season we won promotion with 102 points.

1995-96 (Martin O'Neill)
After beating Norwich 3-2 at home, we then won only 3 of the next 16 league games.
We finished the season strongly, however, and got promoted by beating Palace in the playoff final.

1993-94 (Brian Little)
We won only 2 of our last 12 league games, and stumbled into the playoffs looking more like a mid table team.
We rode our luck in the playoff semi 1st leg at Tranmere, but won the 2nd leg and final against Derby to get promoted.

1978-79 (Jock Wallace)
We looked to be trundling along in mid table, but then won only 1 or our last 11 league games (and nearly got relegated).
The following season we got promoted by winning the the 2nd Division championship.

All of those poor spells I've listed above, included some truly horrendous defeats.   At the time, you really couldn't believe there was any hope.   But there was.   Because whilst we had the odd bad defeat, things were invisibly getting better.    And in all those cases, it did get much better.

I don't think we're anywhere near as bad as some people on here think.   That's obviously just my opinion.  I think we're heading in the right direction, and just need to be patient and hold our nerve.

• Like 3