Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 minute ago, TK95 said:

Is it me or were there barely any televised pre season games this year?

I'm happy ours were all shown by the club of course. But seems significantly less on the whole, I remember the International Champions cup and Emirates cup etc being dead certs

The Audi cup or w/e starts this week on ITV4 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Royston. said:

Agree.

Take his average stats away from the team though and palace would struggle.

Maybe a statto could look further into this.....

Yeah I think they'll struggle this season. I can't see a Hodgson team getting relegated though but I think they'll be nearer the bottom three.

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

What do people think about Pogba?

Not sure what his actual position is, as he's been very inconsistent and hardly an inspiration to the younger players such as Daniel James etc.

Reckon he'll stay at Man United - him and the club suit each other at the moment, in terms of being an over-paid player.

Clearly a great talent, but obviously has a stinking attitude.

Honestly wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. Poisonous.

55 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah I think they'll struggle this season. I can't see a Hodgson team getting relegated though but I think they'll be nearer the bottom three.

Hope they get flushed this season but there’s a lot of relegation fodder around which will keep them up 

57 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

Clearly a great talent, but obviously has a stinking attitude.

Honestly wouldn't want him anywhere near the club. Poisonous.

Is his attitude that bad? He’s gone back for pre season and done exactly what he’s paid to do, train and play football. Arsenals captain decided he couldn’t be arsed with them anymore and refused to go on a pre season tour

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Samilktray said:

Is his attitude that bad? He’s gone back for pre season and done exactly what he’s paid to do, train and play football. Arsenals captain decided he couldn’t be arsed with them anymore and refused to go on a pre season tour

I think it is. When he plays, you can see he can't really be bothered half the time. Doesn't seem anywhere near committed enough.

It’s going to be damn competitive to get into that top six. Man United are the most vulnerable of the ‘big six’. Arsenal still haven’t addressed the major flaws in the midfield and crucially defence, but they still possess the ability to put away the sides ourselves, Wolves and co struggled to put away at home last year. If any of us, Wolves, Everton and West Ham want to gatecrash the party, the record against lower to mid table sides at home has to improve. However messed up these more established ‘big six’ are (Man City and Liverpool aside), they still possess quality and depth. We are more than capable of hurting these sides, it’s the sides who put everyone behind the ball we have to figure out. Tielemans and Maddison combined should help with that, along with Brendan’s tactical nouse. Finishing has to improve all round this season, can’t just be left to Vardy. I really hope Harvey gets a goal early on, it will do him the world of good. Ayoze looks capable as well. It’s going to be a hell of a ride this season, but a more entertaining one than the first half of last season 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is what should make the season super interesting and competitive. I don't think anyone on the forum is taking a top 6/7 finish for granted, because it will be hard. But it's definitely possible for the reasons you've listed above.

If we look at the top 10 finishers from last year:

- Man City. One of the best first teams and the best squad. Their only weakness (a lack of replacement for Fernandinho) was fixed with the signing of Rodri.

- Liverpool. One of the best first teams but some squad issues, despite some players returning from long-term injuries. Will have the most amount of games to play with the Club world cup.

- Chelsea. Lost one of their best ever players and replaced with a questionable signing in Pulisic. Novice manager at the helm and can't sign any more players. Experienced squad, but lack of a top goalscorer. They could be in for a tough season if they don't start well.

- Spurs. I begrudgingly have to say they could be in good shape. Already signed Ndombele who I think will be a great player and looks like they are getting Lo Celso too. Can't see them finishing worse than 3rd they could maybe even push higher depending on how Liverpool's squad fares over the season.

- Arsenal. Not fixed their biggest issue in sorting out their defence. Ceballos likely to be a great signing, Pepe and Tierney also good. But overall they would still have the same weaknesses as last season. Their spot is there for the taking IMO.

- Manchester United. Only signed one notable player so far, though expect them to make some more huge ones before deadline day. One of those players could be from us! Novice manager and unhappy camp and their issues aren't currently fixed. Hard to predict with this lot, but I think their place is also there for the taking.

- Wolves. Very good first team but lack of squad depth could cause problems if they progress well in Europe, which I think they will do. Can't see them finishing worse than 9th but think they will drop a position or two simply because of being stretched by too many games.

- Everton. Dark horses IMO. Two pretty mediocre seasons but still finished 8th each time. Rich owners and a great DoF (Marcel Brands). I think they will do the same as last season and wait till basically the end of the window and strike with some great signings. The thing that goes against them is a fairly poor record against top 6 sides and a lack of time to bed in new players they bring in. But them going so under the radar I think is dangerous.

- Leicester. Very solid first team with proven goalkeeper, centre backs and striker. Signed their number 1 priority player over the summer. Got in big signings quickly to play all of preseason. Didn't travel the world but focused on local matches to improve players and style. Signed another club's best player to add goals up front. Proven manager with motivation to do well in a new spell in the league. Young, hungry team who appear to be getting better with every match. Doubts over if there are enough goals in the front 3 compared to their rivals. But if you weigh things up, it's easy to see why Leicester are being talked about as looking like being in contention for a higher finish.

- West Ham. Manager has previously won the league. Got rid of a problematic individual and replaced him with a striker highly rated in Europe. Signed an extremely exiting Spanish midfielder. Have some good players already in the squad. Will be interesting to see how they get on as they are a notoriously inconsistent side.

I think if you look at all of that, there is plenty of reasons to get excited. We will know more when the season starts of course and the first game is already quite a high pressure one IMO, as Wolves are likely to be in the mix with us come the finale.

This article talked about the “new upper-middle class” clubs in this age of high TV revenues.  The obvious trend is to build clubs from within, with a view toward more long-term stability, instead of a (literally?) up and down existence dependent on comings and goings.    https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-the-middle-no-longer-means-mediocrity-premier-league

In previous years, the mentality among that group used to be far more basic and the annual injection of television money was treated as a lottery win. Take the cash, sign a few players, hope to be on the beach counting banknotes again by March. There are clubs who still operate like that, of course, but they are increasingly few. Instead, those previously ensured a soft landing in the league’s fatty middle have been usurped by a different breed. And, tellingly, that type of club is not aiming for mediocrity.

Previously, the broadcasting revenue was treated as a reward for continuity. Now, in conjunction with their native resources, the bulk of the clubs who comprise this middle-class see the opportunity that exists within that wealth, treating seasons as waypoints rather than final destinations. In the abstract, it’s football’s equivalent of a research and development culture, in which the folly of exorbitant spending is being de-emphasised in favour of smarter decisions and the pursuit of marginal gains.

The money continues to pour in, the Premier League has hardly become frugal, but it’s not being pumped out into the ether. Owners will write the same cheques, yes, but with changing expectations of what their clubs can be and a demand for something other than safety. They want the feeling of progress. If that can’t be reflected in the league table, then they want to know that their club is running optimally and with the maximum chance of success. It’s an example which has been set and which, now, the great majority want to follow.

We are far from alone in having astute owners and managers who have wised up and know how to build for long term success.  If even West Ham are getting there, it's the new normal.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KingsX said:

This article talked about the “new upper-middle class” clubs in this age of high TV revenues.  The obvious trend is to build clubs from within, with a view toward more long-term stability, instead of a (literally?) up and down existence dependent on comings and goings.    https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-the-middle-no-longer-means-mediocrity-premier-league

In previous years, the mentality among that group used to be far more basic and the annual injection of television money was treated as a lottery win. Take the cash, sign a few players, hope to be on the beach counting banknotes again by March. There are clubs who still operate like that, of course, but they are increasingly few. Instead, those previously ensured a soft landing in the league’s fatty middle have been usurped by a different breed. And, tellingly, that type of club is not aiming for mediocrity.

Previously, the broadcasting revenue was treated as a reward for continuity. Now, in conjunction with their native resources, the bulk of the clubs who comprise this middle-class see the opportunity that exists within that wealth, treating seasons as waypoints rather than final destinations. In the abstract, it’s football’s equivalent of a research and development culture, in which the folly of exorbitant spending is being de-emphasised in favour of smarter decisions and the pursuit of marginal gains.

The money continues to pour in, the Premier League has hardly become frugal, but it’s not being pumped out into the ether. Owners will write the same cheques, yes, but with changing expectations of what their clubs can be and a demand for something other than safety. They want the feeling of progress. If that can’t be reflected in the league table, then they want to know that their club is running optimally and with the maximum chance of success. It’s an example which has been set and which, now, the great majority want to follow.

We are far from alone in having astute owners and managers who have wised up and know how to build for long term success.  If even West Ham are getting there, it's the new normal.

That's a great article, and I'd agree with that as you can see a number of clubs having long term strategic plans. Where I think we have the slight edge is that we are further along the journey than some others. We've almost changed our title team winning team completely and though long term replacing Vardy and Kasper will be hard, it's easier than replacing an entire team at once. Our new training academy will be finished this season and we already have a proven Premier League coach that understands and implements modern football. Our current first team has 3 players from the youth academy in the first team squad.

Perhaps most importantly of all though, I feel like our edge is that fans and owners are in harmony. Everton and Wolves are heading in the right direction but there could be issues if things head south. West Ham's relationship with their owners is there for all to see.Though we aren't guaranteed progression every season, I think it would take an incredible set of circumstances for fans to protest against Top. I think we all trust that the club is being run the right way and happy to be part of the long term strategy for the club

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

That's a great article, and I'd agree with that as you can see a number of clubs having long term strategic plans. Where I think we have the slight edge is that we are further along the journey than some others. We've almost changed our title team winning team completely and though long term replacing Vardy and Kasper will be hard, it's easier than replacing an entire team at once. Our new training academy will be finished this season and we already have a proven Premier League coach that understands and implements modern football. Our current first team has 3 players from the youth academy in the first team squad.

Perhaps most importantly of all though, I feel like our edge is that fans and owners are in harmony. Everton and Wolves are heading in the right direction but there could be issues if things head south. West Ham's relationship with their owners is there for all to see.Though we aren't guaranteed progression every season, I think it would take an incredible set of circumstances for fans to protest against Top. I think we all trust that the club is being run the right way and happy to be part of the long term strategy for the club

Agreed, I think LCFC saw the light earlier than some -- starting under Pearson -- by moving resources into analysis, development, and personnel and now physical infrastructure.  Most importantly, we have a. straightened out our player acquisition to become the envy of the league, and b.named a top-notch manager aligned with player development.  (Hopefully a. will not conflict with b. in the form of Congerton!)

I just see this surge of “top six or bust” thinking on here, and think more folks should realize we are not the only similarly-sized, forward thinking club.

For now Everton, West Ham and Wolves have greater resources than we do (Wham’s free London stadium and Wolves’ Mendes tie-up are each worth tens of millions per year).  The only area where we have more value is in the squad.  And there is only one way to directly realize the value of the squad, which must be balanced with ongoing improvement on the pitch.

I am quite optimistic for the season and the longer term!  I just don't see it as a lay-down, because we are playing a rather difficult hand.

Edited by KingsX
  • Like 3

Guest MattP
14 hours ago, StanSP said:

I was always a bit reserved about how people were thinking it'd be easy to just get in to the top 6 just because a couple of other sides hadn't improved much on their squads.

Totally echo the first paragraph for sure. Some astute signings from all of them especially West Ham (Fornals, not to mention Lanzini back as well) and the Arsenal signings you mention (their defence still a bit suspect).

We could be in for an entertaining albeit tough season. To get top 6 would be a superb achievement. 

People have gone a bit mad.

In the pub yesterday the consensus was we've already secured top six and it's all about whether we can break into the top four or not.

Expectations are absolutely out of control.

31 minutes ago, MattP said:

In the pub yesterday the consensus was we've already secured top six and it's all about whether we can break into the top four or not.

Sadly, we live in the age of listening to the (figurative) man in the pub........

17 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Been saying it from the start - pure delusion thinking we're getting top 6, let alone top 4.

It's going to more of the same I reckon. Wildly inconsistent with the target of 7th. We'd need Arsenal and Man U to seriously drop off on their home records. 

We need to prioritise the Cup's and if Rodgers was clever, he'd realise if he wins the FA Cup over his period here, he will be viewed a legend. 

I've just watched 10 mins of SSN Good Morning transfers. What an absolute joke of a show ? 5 people around a table unconvincingly pretending they know what's going on. Pretty sure they had someone from Arsenal TV in there too. Embarrassed I've been paying for this shite!

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Agreed.

Many suggesting United are in an awful position - I don’t agree, I think one of the biggest pluses for them is ditching Lukaku. 

Greenwood looks a good prospect too and as much maligned as Pogba is, his contribution in what was deemed a poor season doesn’t look too shabby on paper. 

The problem we may have is the pack behind the top 6, which includes us, looks ever tighter with each club going into the season with relative stability. 

To get top 6, we will need to dominate in the fixtures against the other 14 - and that won’t be an easy task over the season.

Ok - we look better than we were the past 2 pre-seasons, but then so do the competition.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Agreed.

Many suggesting United are in an awful position - I don’t agree, I think one of the biggest pluses for them is ditching Lukaku. 

Greenwood looks a good prospect too and as much maligned as Pogba is, his contribution in what was deemed a poor season doesn’t look too shabby on paper. 

The problem we may have is the pack behind the top 6, which includes us, looks ever tighter with each club going into the season with relative stability. 

To get top 6, we will need to dominate in the fixtures against the other 14 - and that won’t be an easy task over the season.

Ok - we look better than we were the past 2 pre-seasons, but then so do the competition.

Man Utd's defence is honking, but De Gea when on form is often a one man wall. Their is a shocking toxicity to the whole club and they are in horrible nick but they still will finish above us 19 out of 20 seasons I reckon, depressing ay? lol

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Man Utd's defence is honking, but De Gea when on form is often a one man wall. Their is a shocking toxicity to the whole club and they are in horrible nick but they still will finish above us 19 out of 20 seasons I reckon, depressing ay? lol

As bad as their defence might be - I only see that being crucial against the top 6. 

I suspect that going forward, they’d be able to paper over the cracks against everyone else.

Guest Markyblue

Nice to see a lot of realism on here. Top 4 would be almost impossible,  top 6 incredibly difficult,  aim for top 10 to 7 and lets give both cups a real go. Time the fa cup went in the trophy room.