Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

16 hours ago, kingfox said:

Never thought much of Jordan Henderson until this season.

He has been absolute quality.

He’s absolutely brilliant. Such a great captain, type of player we need right now 

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/premier-league-table-long-real-points-liverpool-lead-man-city-man-utd-arsenal-leicester-chelsea

Think Liverpool are running away with it? Here's how the Premier League table REALLY looks

The league table is a list, but the Long Table shows you how close teams are – and the gulf that is emerging behind Liverpool in the Premier League this season

byFourFourTwo staff

Published47 min ago

Well, it's certainly starting to look like Liverpool might win the Premier League. If by 'starting', we mean 'continuing', and by 'might', we mean 'absolutely, definitely will'.

Following Sunday's 2-0 victory over Manchester United – plus a draw for Manchester City and a defeat for Leicester – Jurgen Klopp's side took a 16-point lead at the top of the table. Oh, and they have a game in hand.

It's a gap so big that the normal Premier League table simply doesn't do it justice.

That's where we come in. Instead of simply listing which place each clubs is, leaving some teams deceptively close and others misleadingly far apart, we simply list each side according to their points total.

We've been doing a variation of this Cann table – otherwise known the Premier League Long Table, as we simpletons at FFT Towers like to call it – for a while now. It ably demonstrates the gulf between pockets of the league, and develops nicely as the season wears on.

It helps us to realise fairly simple things, like how City are closer to seventh-place Sheffield United than they are to Liverpool, or how Arsenal are still nearer the relegation zone than they are the Champions League places. It helps us recognise that while Manchester United may have climbed to the top of the non-Champions League pile, they still have more reason to be looking over their shoulders.

And we can see just how important Tuesday's games between Bournemouth and Brighton, and Aston Villa and Watford are to the battle to beat the drop...

Premier League long table
At close of play, Sun Jan 19
Pts Team(s)    
64 Liverpool    
48 Man City    
45 Leicester    
39 Chelsea    
34 Man United Wolves  
33 Sheff United    
31 Tottenham    
30 Crystal Palace    
29 Arsenal Everton Newcastle
28 Southampton    
27 Burnley    
25 Brighton    
23 West Ham Watford  
22 Aston Villa    
20 Bournemouth    
17 Norwich
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Got to feel for them. Good job they racked a fair few points up early doors. Relegation battle is really interesting this season, and in fact, apart from the title race (and potentially race for top 4), this season is as open as ever.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Is it just me or do goals dictate their perception of the game unless it’s big 6 vs one of the rest? 

Say our game, we were all over Burnley but on Sky it was ‘Burnley were brilliant la la la...’, no we were slightly below average and they took 2 chances. 

But if it was United, Liverpool... vs Burnley it would’ve been ‘Burnley dug in and took the two chances that came their way’ 

they don’t watch the games, just make a narrative up as they go along with whatever the scoreline is saying

That’s what MOTD said .......

39 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

I’m just glad I don’t have to watch sky sports to put up with him  

Surely Jamie, when the 2 biggest audiences featured Manchester United it tells you something you daft scouse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely Jamie, when the 2 biggest audiences featured Manchester United it tells you something you daft scouse.

It doesn't matter. He'll be firing up those saliva glans ready for the title parade. Pronunciation as well as children. 

2 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

I dont want to go all 'modern day football is sh it' on this but 3.9m is fvcking shite for a one of the biggest rivalries in the top flight football considering fa cup matches can get up to 8 million. The fact that Sky's Carragher has to big it up just goes how desperate viewing figures are behind a paywall.

Surely nobody is “gripped” by this? Watching Liverpool win every week is just about the least entertaining thing I can think to do with my free time.

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

That’s what MOTD said .......

MOTD is usually decent, seems like they do watch the games.

Agree with pmcla's post in regards to the in-studio pundits especially on Super Sunday's when their focus is on another game.

32 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Surely nobody is “gripped” by this? Watching Liverpool win every week is just about the least entertaining thing I can think to do with my free time.

People are probably watching in the hope/ expectation Liverpool will win against a top 4/ relegation rival now. That's why I tuned in yesterday.

1 hour ago, ttfn said:

indeed. they are pretty good to watch in all fairness but i'm not sure many people are specifically tuning in to watch "the title race". 

i said in this thread last year that last year's title race was boring because both teams involved won every week. it's even more boring when there's only one team involved and they win every week. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ttfn said:

I don't see how this reflects well on the league. It's quite literally more one sided than Ligue 1.

It's no slight on Liverpool. They're sensational. But it looks very bad on the others.

4 hours ago, ttfn said:

60 quid a month or thereabouts, sky is poison and carragher exemplifies that. I'll never be able to look at him without picturing him gobbing on a child. Scum.

Anyone else getting fed up of yet another news feed saying man utd must have madisson or grealish. Latest is Ryan giggs saying Solskjaer needs to get madisson asap. There’s no respect for our club or the fans. Almost wish LCFC started paying off random people to put out crap saying Madrid must get rashford as well as pogba. If their gonna unsettle our players they need to know we can hit back. 2 can play that dirty game.

7 hours ago, Nalis said:

I dont want to go all 'modern day football is sh it' on this but 3.9m is fvcking shite for a one of the biggest rivalries in the top flight football considering fa cup matches can get up to 8 million. The fact that Sky's Carragher has to big it up just goes how desperate viewing figures are behind a paywall.

Yeh, its like the Cup though... a whole lot of people checked in to see the little battler try to overturn the big club :ph34r:

10 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

The 2 biggest clubs in England with the 2 largest fan bases, yeah of course the viewing figures are so high. 

Stick to spitting at little girls, Jamie.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Koke said:

The 2 biggest clubs in England with the 2 largest fan bases, yeah of course the viewing figures are so high. 

Stick to spitting at little girls, Jamie.

Tbf when I left the bar where I was watching It on holiday it was packed  ..  prior to that when Leicester was on there was just me and a young foreign boy of about 11 who watched it for 20 minutes before he realised it was the wrong match ...   and a sparrow ...  mind you I think the sparrow was only there in case I dropped one of my peanuts ...