Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

How would Arsenal not being in Europe harm their recruitment big time. 

Come to Leicester because we're in Europe, here's 80 grand a week and a 5 year contract

Come to Arsenal, unfortunately we're not in Europe this year, but here's 250 grand a week , a 5 year contract and the chances are you'll be in Europe next season.

I know which i'd choose.

Firstly you clearly underestimate players' desires to be in the CL. None of the top players will go to a team that doesn't have any European football at all next year. Secondly you're assuming that Arsenal will make CL the year after next, they couldn't do it last year, they couldn't do it this year, logic says that they won't be able to do it next year either. 

Players at the ends of their illustrious careers may be willing to forego European football for a massive payout otherwise it's not quite good enough players and young unproven players who are willing to do that.

Let's wait and see.

Surprise surprise, man Utd get drawn against the lowest ranked team left in the Europa League! Still very winnable draw for both Rangers and Wolves who will probably show Arsenal what commitment and passion can do!

Edited by holyfox
typo
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, FIF said:

Firstly you clearly underestimate players' desires to be in the CL. None of the top players will go to a team that doesn't have any European football at all next year. Secondly you're assuming that Arsenal will make CL the year after next, they couldn't do it last year, they couldn't do it this year, logic says that they won't be able to do it next year either. 

Players at the ends of their illustrious careers may be willing to forego European football for a massive payout otherwise it's not quite good enough players and young unproven players who are willing to do that.

Let's wait and see.

players will join without any European football as they have in the past and no doubt will do in the future 

Edited by jammie82uk
  • Like 1

Arsenal’s finances are in a poor state, I think they’ll have to sell if they want a substantial rebuild so no (likely) European football next season is a huge blow for them. Which is a positive for us in the long run because I think Arteta will significantly  improve them.

On the flip side, our finances will be looking relatively healthy due to CL income, increased matchday income, expiring contracts and hopefully shifting some of the loanees permanently too. We made a small operating profit last year (£1m IIRC) so we should be able to spend relatively freely in the summer. Ideally, we avoid domestic transfers as well, since Rodgers & Um Congo have been here it feels like our focus has shifted a bit and there’s much less value 

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Come to Leicester because we're in Europe, here's 80 grand a week and a 5 year contract

Come to Arsenal, unfortunately we're not in Europe this year, but here's 250 grand a week , a 5 year contract and the chances are you'll be in Europe next season.

I know which i'd choose.

Derby?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I know which i'd choose.

Arsenal will struggle to afford that right now. 

27 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

It’s a bad Europa league draw for sure. The 4 teams that could stop an English side are playing against each other. I really can’t shake the feeling that wolves are going to win it 

Not a chance, powers that be won't be having it.  They'll probably get past Olympiakos then watch them draw one of the traditional European powerhouses and get some incredibly dodgy calls made against them.

6 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Not a chance, powers that be won't be having it.  They'll probably get past Olympiakos then watch them draw one of the traditional European powerhouses and get some incredibly dodgy calls made against them.

I am actually surprised by how many people think Olympiacos are a push over. They matched Bayern and Spurs, they have been in the CL for many years, they beat Arsenal in the end. And at home they are one of the strongest teams with an incredible atmosphere. If Wolves can leave there with anything they might have a chance but they could easily drown there and be out of the tie. Should be a good fixture nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Countryfox said:

At the expense of ....  

Chelsea and hopefully not us!

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

What does that even mean? 

It means they have a tricky next 4-5 games and then a kind run of fixtures until they face us at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Yeah i don't see the issue to be honest. Rather see Wolves win than someone else. 

Commendable, but selfishly Id rather they werent in the Champions league so that we would be more attractive than them for potential signings. A stronger Wolves next year could lead to them jumping ahead of us. 

2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I am actually surprised by how many people think Olympiacos are a push over. They matched Bayern and Spurs, they have been in the CL for many years, they beat Arsenal in the end. And at home they are one of the strongest teams with an incredible atmosphere. If Wolves can leave there with anything they might have a chance but they could easily drown there and be out of the tie. Should be a good fixture nonetheless.

Yeah really tough tie for wolves, even if they get through I can't see them winning the EL.

Scaremongering?

The games will go ahead unless there is some sudden increase in cases and deaths (sadly been 1 today but no to the level of Italy have had)

At worse games might have to be played without a crowd - might be a good thing for some supporters!

But doubt it will come to that hopefully) 

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Scaremongering?

The games will go ahead unless there is some sudden increase in cases and deaths (sadly been 1 today but no to the level of Italy have had)

At worse games might have to be played without a crowd - might be a good thing for some supporters!

Hope for the best, plan for the worst, I guess?

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

Scaremongering?

They won’t close the season unless it becomes something akin to what’s happened in China 

I would expect behind closed doors games to be the result of any huge changes ......