Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

I think he's done well for us and don't really get the criticism. He's one of the best at winning the ball up high the pitch and links well with Vardy and Ricardo. He's put Vardy through loads since the restart and could have had a fair few more assists. I actually think his shooting is a little erratic but he could have easily had more goals and assists and that is definitely something to work on for next season. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Perez has been inconsistent, mostly because he's mostly played out of position.  But what I find baffling is with the veritable smorgasbord of options for criticism after that debacle yesterday (starting with the manager), anyone would single out Perez.  He was one of our better players and the direct cause of our only goal. 

Its confused me too. I have begun to wonder if I watched a different match to half the posters on here. I'm hoping I did watch a different match because the one I watched was horrendous in the 2nd half ...

• Haha 1

Could he and should he have scored more this season? Yes, definitely.

Has he played an important role for us this season and been useful? Yes.

He's good if we need a number 10 and is versatile which means he's handy to have on the bench. 30m is a lot of money, but let's be honest an average prem player goes for 20m now. He definitely shouldn't be a starter on the wing next season, but more than happy to have him on the bench.

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Perez has been inconsistent, mostly because he's mostly played out of position.  But what I find baffling is with the veritable smorgasbord of options for criticism after that debacle yesterday (starting with the manager), anyone would single out Perez.  He was one of our better players and the direct cause of our only goal. 

53 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

Its confused me too. I have begun to wonder if I watched a different match to half the posters on here. I'm hoping I did watch a different match because the one I watched was horrendous in the 2nd half ...

Yeah, I thought Perez was ok and has been last few games, playing more central. His first touch is normally pretty good but he just needs more movements around him, which Nachos was half giving him in addition to Vardy in the first half.

3 hours ago, foxfan92 said:

That was how I felt when I heard BR say he pulled Kelechi because he had a bad game.  Obviously I had the wrong replay going.

I do think that he brings something to the squad and that he has had some pretty good performances for us, even though he hasn’t always scored or assisted in those games.

But... I do wonder whether what he does bring is really what we needed for the first team. As a squad player who can come in for certain games, off the bench, or when players are injured, then he’s fine - but should he be starting games on the wing? No. Is he good enough to displace Vardy? No. Is he good enough to displace Maddison? No. In short, for any of the positions that he is touted to be able to play in, he doesn’t improve us massively and would often be perceived to be a downgrade on a fully fit first 11. That’s why we see him played out on the wing so much, because he isn’t good enough to displace anyone in the centre and we have a serious lack of competition out wide. 

He has a lot of tenacity and his best work often seems to happen in between the lines, linking up play. But out wide he doesn’t really cut it for me and only highlights our desperate need for a more productive winger. He drifts centrally quite often in order to be more effective, doesn’t have any physicality to his game and is neither particularly technically proficient nor an amazing passer of the ball. He does a lot of things fairly well but doesn’t stand out as a player who can also do one or two things amazingly. 

Maybe in the future we will see him used more centrally in place of Vardy and I think he would get goals but would, overall, be much less of a threat without any pace, strength or dribbling ability. I was uninspired by the signing at the time and I still am today. We needed to go out and buy a proper winger, and my opinion hasn’t really changed. Decent option in the squad to have but I wouldn’t be taking him at the expense of getting in an actual winger, which is what we needed and still need after signing him. He’s done okay but I honestly think the signing may have hindered us this season in comparison to another world where we signed a decent winger.  

• Thanks 1

Did well tonight. Important goal. Could have had another if barnes would have squared it when he had the chance - he was in a prime position to stick it in.

had a bit of a nothing season due to lack of inconsistency. More consistency and end product needed. And a few yards of pace if he’s going to play out wide😂

Ayoze is playing well. He may not be as flashy as Madders, but his linking play has been good since he went central. Despite his physical weakness, he is finding little bits of time and space.

Lovely finish tonight, and I think he got around Norwood really well. Bit of a playmaker's nightmare is Perez.

• 1 month later...

I just randomly came across these quotes from Ayoze Perez from back in November. It just confirms what we already knew, that there are many better English cities to live in for foreign players than Leicester. Although one advantage of Leicester is its bang in the middle of the country and its close to London and its close to all the major airports.

“Twice a week, I usually do extra training as I always try to prepare myself to be better individually,” Pérez told Radio Marca Tenerife.

“The city itself doesn’t have many things though and as a city, Newcastle was better.

“But I have London that is only an hour away from me so I escape there a lot.”

• 3 weeks later...