Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think I'm pretty damn consistent to be honest.

It's something I'm pretty militant about, even when our lot do it.

I'm aware that sometimes a player can be running at considerable speed and it doesn't take a heavy touch on the ankle to put them off balance, so it's not like a demand a hideously crunching tackle before I'll accept that something's a foul.

But I'm so, so, so tired of seeing any old slight brush of contact used to justify players launching themselves to the ground for a penalty. It's gotten worse since VAR because VAR refuses to make any subjective call on it, so if they see a pixel of one player graze another they'll not over-rule anything. It's utterly hideous, it's a complete epidemic that's been infecting the game for most of my adult life and gets progressively worse.

Well said. Unfortunately there is no resistance to this ‘epidemic’ as you call it - either from the    refereeing fraternity or from pundits in the media.

It has sadly become widely accepted - encouraged even - that any contact, however minimal, justifies a player ‘going to ground’.

It’s basically institutionalised con artistry, and I hate it as much as you obviously do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Dare I say we saw the best of Kante whilst he was with us, maybe his first season at Chelsea was on par but since then he’s been on a downward spiral.

He's past his best now but he was very good from the time he joined us up until the World Cup.

He's still the most successful of the post-title high profile transfers out by a long way.

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Does anyone think Harry Kane will still be at Tottenham next season or is he there for life. 

If he has any ambition he surely has to leave. But somehow I think he'll stay. He'd rather be a big fish in a small and rather stagnant pond.

3 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Does anyone think Harry Kane will still be at Tottenham next season or is he there for life. 

He’s there for life unless he runs down this contract to nothing as don’t see any other club buying him due to Dan Levy transfer fee demands 

25 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Dier's kick on Warner was more of an obvious penalty than many I've seen recently.

It looked a penalty straight off.

If you shout dive at this, did you shout dive at all the others?

It bloody hard to know whether a kick in the Achilles makes you fall or not imo.

5 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Jenas' accent is stronger because he's angry.  lol

Glad I get to watch the American adverts about a tablet that could solve one health issue but introduce 50 possible others then watch the BT pundits coverage 

• Haha 1

It's now common place to actively celebrate it as clever play, I'm ****ing sick of hearing Jamie Carragher smugly claim that Sane or Salah have intelligently gone to ground.

Absolutely hate this. "He's been street wise" Is another of my pet hates.  

• Like 1

It's now common place to actively celebrate it as clever play, I'm ****ing sick of hearing Jamie Carragher smugly claim that Sane or Salah have intelligently gone to ground.

I cringe every, single time I hear a commentator or pundit hype up Grealish for being the "most fouled player in the league." He's not Messi, he's not even Eden Hazard, he's not ACTUALLY getting fouled*, he's a massive strong lad with incredible balance, an immense centre of gravity and ****ing ROOTED TREE TRUNKS OF POWER for legs who leaps shamelessly to the deck whenever someone is in his personal space. It is absolutely horrendous and he should be banned for life for any one of his dives. But they celebrate the fact he, basically, wins a lot of free kicks for his team by jumping on the floor like it's an asset that a team should strive to have. 

Completely disgusting.

*I'm well aware Jack Grealish probably has been legitimately fouled once or twice.

It's not just grealish most the villa team are divers.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I cringe every, single time I hear a commentator or pundit hype up Grealish for being the "most fouled player in the league." He's not Messi, he's not even Eden Hazard, he's not ACTUALLY getting fouled*, he's a massive strong lad with incredible balance, an immense centre of gravity and ****ing ROOTED TREE TRUNKS OF POWER for legs who leaps shamelessly to the deck whenever someone is in his personal space. It is absolutely horrendous and he should be banned for life for any one of his dives. But they celebrate the fact he, basically, wins a lot of free kicks for his team by jumping on the floor like it's an asset that a team should strive to have. 

Completely disgusting.

*I'm well aware Jack Grealish probably has been legitimately fouled once or twice.

I seen on sky sports news this morning that Grealish has been fouled nearly twice as much as Zaha who’s in second place 

Mason Mount has 1 assist from open play this season. You can see why. His final ball is terrible. Get someone better at CAM and a good striker and Chelsea will be a serous team.

Jesus, only just managed to get internet connection back...how was that a pen and how was Glenn Hoddle so adament that it was lol

Are we really as the stage where any contact now allows a player to throw themself to the floor (that kick wouldn't have knocked a kitten off it's stride) and then idiots on sky and BT claim it's clever play? 

Good god I can't wait till non league is back.

41 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There is not in a million years enough contact on Werner's foot to make him take off, spin fifty times in the air, flail all his limbs around, howl like he's been shot, land on the ground and roll eight times.

It's a dive.

It was, without doubt, stupidly clumsy defending but Werner wasn't actually impeded and he did throw himself on the floor.

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah and you're 10000% wrong.

Unfortunately, the law makers of football agree with you, which is why we still have simulation everywhere in football and nobody doing anything about it.

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think I'm pretty damn consistent to be honest.

It's something I'm pretty militant about, even when our lot do it.

I'm aware that sometimes a player can be running at considerable speed and it doesn't take a heavy touch on the ankle to put them off balance, so it's not like a demand a hideously crunching tackle before I'll accept that something's a foul.

But I'm so, so, so tired of seeing any old slight brush of contact used to justify players launching themselves to the ground for a penalty. It's gotten worse since VAR because VAR refuses to make any subjective call on it, so if they see a pixel of one player graze another they'll not over-rule anything. It's utterly hideous, it's a complete epidemic that's been infecting the game for most of my adult life and gets progressively worse.

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Completely disgusting.

Still an obvious correctly given penalty, tho.  :P

1 minute ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Watching games involving other so called top teams makes me appreciate what good football we generally play now 

We are very far ahead right now. Just need to sustain it so that when those other teams become competitive again, we're still there.