Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I have to agree with this.

Maddison isn’t anywhere near the England set up and rightly so but what you’ve said sums up everything that is wrong with the England set up.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment in general eg Vardy and Drinkwater after that season, Maddison I'm afraid is the author of his own downfall. Not only is he currently not good enough playing wise compared to others but his off field persona/activities will have cost him dearly in Southgate's eyes.

Edited by volpeazzurro

2 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Load of rubbish. Take your blue tinted specs off and look at how poor he's been since about February. He doesn't deserve to go. 

Yes he has been rubbish and doesn’t deserve to go, you are quite correct. But you need a stint at specsavers yourself - how many players in England squads has that applied to over the years, who have still been picked because of the clubs they are at?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

Yes he has been rubbish and doesn’t deserve to go, you are quite correct. But you need a stint at specsavers yourself - how many players in England squads has that applied to over the years, who have still been picked because of the clubs they are at?

Of course there are players picked because of the teams they play for. But in the 33 we have players from Sheffield United (relegated), West Brom (relegated), Wolves, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Leeds, Southampton and even Spurs so let's not pretend it's a closed shop to just the rich clubs' players. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If he hadn’t have got injured during that run of form around Jan/Feb time then I think he would have forced Southgate into picking him, some of you seem to forget he was our main man at that time, it’s just been difficult for him to get into full flow but he was decent against Spurs. 

He now needs to work hard on his fitness and prove Southgate wrong and come back fighting when the season starts, and loose the playboy attitude that the fans don’t like.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Whilst I agree with the sentiment in general eg Vardy and Drinkwater after that season, Maddison I'm afraid is the author of his own downfall. Not only is he currently not good enough playing wise compared to others but his off field persona/activities will have cost him dearly in Southgate's eyes.

100% and as I’ve said on and off field he doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as players he supposedly competing for places against. Despite that if he played for a top 6 club he’d be closer and most probably selected even though he most definitely shouldn’t and there lies the problem with the England set up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Of course there are players picked because of the teams they play for. But in the 33 we have players from Sheffield United (relegated), West Brom (relegated), Wolves, Villa, Brighton, West Ham, Leeds, Southampton and even Spurs so let's not pretend it's a closed shop to just the rich clubs' players. 

Obviously I’m not and I appreciate your point. However, if Maddison was at Utd or Man City it would be different - in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Interview with Rodgers on Maddison printed in the Mercury today:. Big pre season ahead to get his fitness back and hopefully over his hip problem

How the season has panned out for him, he’s been unfortunate,” Rodgers said before the final game of the season.

“He didn’t start the season and it was difficult for him, but then he got a run of games and he was exceptional. He was very efficient in his game, in his movement, he was creating goals and scoring goals, and it was looking very good for him.

“Then he’s picked up the injury and unfortunately he hasn’t got back to the level of fitness as of yet.

“When you’re a really technically gifted player like James you have to be able to move to get on the ball, and then when you’re on the ball, you have to have the fitness in order to produce the technical side of the game. Unfortunately for him, he’s just not been quite there.

Rodgers said he had to consider the data the sports science department were giving him, and Maddison’s numbers were not high enough to convince him that he could be at his best in games.

The City boss added: “I’m pretty sure he will get back to a level. It’s just been unfortunate for him that he hasn’t been able to get back to the level of fitness that he was at prior to his injury.

“That’s partly because the team was doing well, so he hasn’t been able to get the game-time. But at least with that, there is an element of control to that. You can control your level of fitness.

“It takes time. We’ve been playing midweek games, and then when he has played, he’s maybe played a section of the games. And the nature of what I want from the team and the numbers I’m getting from my sports science and medical teams, he’s not been hitting that level in order to play his game.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/maddison-leicester-england-rodgers-southgate-5458749?fbclid=IwAR3OoepOXkmCVYQXQ2jwTnm2q6iy4neYn_wC8fTvE5QhVWcRoqnhMcViUaY

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ARM1968 said:

I think what Southgate saw was that he doesn’t play for one of the Big Sux clubs. If he did he would be in, simple as that. 

I'd say the more simple thing is that there are at least 3 or 4 better players than him in the same position.

People bang on about Southgate picking from big clubs but I've never really believed that. I don't like or rate him as manager but, in the instance of picking from big clubs, I think he's been the opposite to previous managers. As soon as Leeds got in the PL he started picking Phillips, he's selected two goalkeepers from relegated sides in this 33 man squad, Grealish rightly gets picked despite not playing for a top 6 club, Ings/Ward Prowse play for Southampton...

Edited by Fox92

3 hours ago, Matt said:

100% and as I’ve said on and off field he doesn’t deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as players he supposedly competing for places against. Despite that if he played for a top 6 club he’d be closer and most probably selected even though he most definitely shouldn’t and there lies the problem with the England set up.

...ermmm.....!!!

Guest Bert Fill
5 minutes ago, 5waller5 said:

I think he was getting in the Leicester side against logic and form for most of the latter part of the season .... He was never going to the Euros on this form.

Hardly ‘against logic.’ Against form, yes, although I think that was probably more about fitness.

Surely he was getting in, when he did, despite not having recovered from injury, because apart from Tielemans he’s the only player we have who can pull a match-saving/match-winning assist out of nothing.

20 minutes ago, Bert Fill said:

Hardly ‘against logic.’ Against form, yes, although I think that was probably more about fitness.

Surely he was getting in, when he did, despite not having recovered from injury, because apart from Tielemans he’s the only player we have who can pull a match-saving/match-winning assist out of nothing.

Hasn't done it very often though? I'm not even talking recently either, all season I can only recall Sheffield United away where he's saved us with a match saving assist.

Kelechi and Barnes have rescued us more.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Hasn't done it very often though? I'm not even talking recently either, all season I can only recall Sheffield United away where he's saved us with a match saving assist.

Kelechi and Barnes have rescued us more.

And even then he was absolutely horrendous in the rest of that game. 

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

If he hadn’t have got injured during that run of form around Jan/Feb time then I think he would have forced Southgate into picking him, some of you seem to forget he was our main man at that time, it’s just been difficult for him to get into full flow but he was decent against Spurs. 

I'm not sure Southgate would have picked him tbh even without the injury. Maybe for the 33 provisional squad he'd get a call but then be cut for the 26. It's not even that he was our main man but all his stats said he was better than the other England players competing for that position. The injury has made the decision (excuses) easier for Southgate but he says this, "We feel like there are players ahead of James in that area of the pitch." Which sounds like a general statement of fact regardless of injury and is also BS.

For me something about Southgate makes me feel he chooses on personal preference more than anything else. 

2 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

I'm not sure Southgate would have picked him tbh even without the injury. Maybe for the 33 provisional squad he'd get a call but then be cut for the 26. It's not even that he was our main man but all his stats said he was better than the other England players competing for that position. The injury has made the decision (excuses) easier for Southgate but he says this, "We feel like there are players ahead of James in that area of the pitch." Which sounds like a general statement of fact regardless of injury and is also BS.

For me something about Southgate makes me feel he chooses on personal preference more than anything else. 

If Jimmy was fully fit and firing he would still be behind Grealish and probably Foden now as well. That would still make him a very good player mind. His lack of pace and strength will always be his weaknesses so he he is going to have to hone his other skills to the highest standard. I expect him to make a more consistent contribution for us next season and you are crazy if you write him off.

• Like 1

Just now, An Sionnach said:

If Jimmy was fully fit and firing he would still be behind Grealish and probably Foden now as well. That would still make him a very good player mind. His lack of pace and strength will always be his weaknesses so he he is going to have to hone his other skills to the highest standard. I expect him to make a more consistent contribution for us next season and you are crazy if you write him off.

Would Mads be played in their positions though? I sort of see them being played to the left or right of Kane. They're competing with Rashford, Sterling, Saka etc.

I'm not writing him off. Like I said his overall stats (before injury) were objectively better than Grealish, Foden, Rice, Mount, Bellingham etc. Chelsea fans shouting that he's a poor mans Mason Mount during the PL game after the FA cup was laughable. Before injury reality said it was the other way around. Of course the media made it sound like Mount was the second coming of Lampard which always distorts perception.   

22 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

Would Mads be played in their positions though? I sort of see them being played to the left or right of Kane. They're competing with Rashford, Sterling, Saka etc.

I'm not writing him off. Like I said his overall stats (before injury) were objectively better than Grealish, Foden, Rice, Mount, Bellingham etc. Chelsea fans shouting that he's a poor mans Mason Mount during the PL game after the FA cup was laughable. Before injury reality said it was the other way around. Of course the media made it sound like Mount was the second coming of Lampard which always distorts perception.   

Mason Mount is a very different player I think , a box to box workhorse but a very good one. Maddison ,Grealish and Foden are inspirational players who do the unexpected. Yes , we need a player like Jimmy in the squad because players like him can break an impasse at any moment.

22 minutes ago, KFS said:

Two things:

1. He doesn’t deserve to be there

2. Wouldn’t get too worked up about it. They’ll be home after the groups anyway lol 

He’s not eligible to play for Scotland 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, turlo said:

Interview with Rodgers on Maddison printed in the Mercury today:. Big pre season ahead to get his fitness back and hopefully over his hip problem

How the season has panned out for him, he’s been unfortunate,” Rodgers said before the final game of the season.

“He didn’t start the season and it was difficult for him, but then he got a run of games and he was exceptional. He was very efficient in his game, in his movement, he was creating goals and scoring goals, and it was looking very good for him.

“Then he’s picked up the injury and unfortunately he hasn’t got back to the level of fitness as of yet.

“When you’re a really technically gifted player like James you have to be able to move to get on the ball, and then when you’re on the ball, you have to have the fitness in order to produce the technical side of the game. Unfortunately for him, he’s just not been quite there.

Rodgers said he had to consider the data the sports science department were giving him, and Maddison’s numbers were not high enough to convince him that he could be at his best in games.

The City boss added: “I’m pretty sure he will get back to a level. It’s just been unfortunate for him that he hasn’t been able to get back to the level of fitness that he was at prior to his injury.

“That’s partly because the team was doing well, so he hasn’t been able to get the game-time. But at least with that, there is an element of control to that. You can control your level of fitness.

“It takes time. We’ve been playing midweek games, and then when he has played, he’s maybe played a section of the games. And the nature of what I want from the team and the numbers I’m getting from my sports science and medical teams, he’s not been hitting that level in order to play his game.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/maddison-leicester-england-rodgers-southgate-5458749?fbclid=IwAR3OoepOXkmCVYQXQ2jwTnm2q6iy4neYn_wC8fTvE5QhVWcRoqnhMcViUaY

Understandable. Quite clear Maddison wasn't fit at all hence being hauled off at 60mins each game. At Spurs he actually looked more influential than any other game since he's been at least somewhat available.

But let's hope a proper pre-season does him right. He's worth keeping amongst over our other midfielders - Ndidi, Tielemans, Praet, Mendy, Hamza, KDH, Soumare (soon).

Mendy, Hamza and Praet don't seem to be making the cut so it's obvious he's ahead of them in the pecking order. I know they all play different positions but Maddison does still have the talent above those 3. 

Let's hope he hits 'the level' that Rodgers is looking for by having a proper summer to get properly fit and then remain fit next season. 

• Like 1