Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
UpTheLeagueFox

Wesley Fofana: Signs For LCFC

http://sportwitness.co.uk/empty-promise-enticing-leicesters-offer-made-club-director-go-back-word/

“An empty promise” – ‘Enticing’ Leicester’s offer made club director go back on his word

One of the big moves for Leicester City during the transfer window was securing the services of Wesley Fofana from AS Saint-Etienne.

The young French defender was seen as one of the more exciting prospects in Europe in his role, and despite Claude Puel strongly opposing the sale, the Ligue 1 side eventually gave in and let the 19-year-old travel to England.

They made a huge profit along the way, getting €35m up front and a potential €5m in bonuses on top of that, but all this came at a price: breaking their promises.

This is what But! Football Club journalist Laurent Hess said on Tuesday, recalling what one of the directors had earlier this year about Fofana’s future.

He said: “ASSE have just transferred Fofana to Leicester for €35m + €5m. That’s despite Roland Romeye promising in the spring, when the player renewed, that the club would keep their bet youngsters thus summer. An empty promise. Leicester’s offer was too enticing. One year after the €30m from William Saliba’s transfer to Arsenal, Fofana’s sale allowed them to fill up the coffers.

“They sorely needed it, because even if the board pat themselves on the back for presenting positive bank accounts to the DNCG for the 10th year in a row, they’ve still had to get two bank loans over the past two years. To pay them back, the duo Romeyer-Caïazzo therefore turn to the academy starlets”.

A lot of the pressure to sell Fofana also came from the player himself, who went out of his way to make it known publicly how badly he wanted the move, never hiding his ambitions of earning more money to help his family.

The move also was a step forward in his career, but he never once tried to downplay the financial aspect of it either.

Edited by moore_94

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

Don't quite see it that way.

My guess would be that Fofana would play a fair bit of football THIS season, especially with the added Europa League campaign, and the further we advance in that competition and/or the FA Cup, the more games that he's likely to see in all competitions THIS season. Furthermore, I suspect (but dearly hope not) that we were relatively 'lucky' with injuries last season and that the likes of Jonny Evans will likely miss more games through injuries (even if it's merely niggling non-major injuries). Next season, though, I fully expect to see Fofana (if all things remain equal) assume the role of primary starter in CD, definitely so if Soyuncu and/or Evans departs but in the stead of Evans for the most part if both Soyuncu and Evans remain with us.

Fully expect to see another CD brought in the next Summer Window, but wouldn't even be surprised if one was brought/loaned in the Winter Window. 

Edited by NaijaFox
  • Like 1

It's ludicrous to think Rodgers is not going to give this guy every opportunity. There's a list a mile long of younger players that he has coached that have beat out older more experienced players for the shirt.

He'll train with the First Team squad. How much he plays is up to how well he plays in training and his health. Do people think Fofana is only here for the money? I'd say that Wesley has painted a big fat "X" on the back of Evans shirt. Go for it Wesley. Competition Finally! This isn't the Under 23's.

On 14/10/2020 at 00:34, HankMarvin said:

Disagree, don’t think they have spent that sort of money during Covid to have someone sit and develop.

He will be utilised in a 5 or 3 once he is up to scratch with teammates 

Not so sure.
How much was Soyuncu when came? And it’s a couple of years later, and dare I say we have paid more because we may think Wesley is next level even than Cags

:dunno:

edit: although it may be moot anyway based on the injury situation

Edited by Dahnsouff

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Very impressive first 45 minutes! Surprised by the quality of his passing, it's great.

Funnily enough I’m not ..   the guy is going to be brilliant for us ...   oozes quality even at that age and I just feel a lot more confident when a high ball comes over ..  got to say ..  not missing Cags ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Funnily enough I’m not ..   the guy is going to be brilliant for us ...   oozes quality even at that age and I just feel a lot more confident when a high ball comes over ..  got to say ..  not missing Cags ..

He's not a player I've seen too much of before today. He's probably been the best CB on the pitch so far and the crazy thing is he's 19! I can see why we decided to take a chance on him, because if he's this good already he could seriously be a first choice CB for the French national team, and they are world champions.

• Like 2