Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Everton (A)... Wednesday.

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Some interesting tidbits from the pre-match press conference. Comments about attackers are quite interesting I think:

Perez to play instead of Vardy?

“It just depends on the game. The type of game we want to play. There’s a lot made when Jamie doesn’t play, he’s one of the best in the league, but our development is about the collective. Forty of our goals have come from others. Jamie’s got 13. Ayo I know will score goals. He hasn’t featured as much this season. He will play a really pivotal role. Whether it’s him, or Kelechi, or someone else, the responsibility for goals is the team."

Vardy?

“He’s a little bit sore as you’d expect. But we hope he’s a quick healer.”

Gray to Palace?

“I haven’t heard anything new today. He trained this morning and trained very well.”

Everton?

“They’re definitely a team that will challenge. They’ve had big investment in the team so they would be expecting to challenge. They have outstanding players and a world class manager. It’s the one disappointing game. We arrive in this game in a totally different moment. The energy is good, we’re playing how we want to. We conceded two poor goals from our perspective. Hopefully our performance level will be better on Wednesday.”

Perez's best position?

“Probably his best position is more central. We’ve had Jamie in that central role, so we’ve had Ayoze out wide, a position he is comfortable. He’s been a very important player for us. It might not feel that for people watching. Last year he adapted really well. He has played so much because of the influence of other players, they’ve kept him out. What I know is that he will score goals. He’s a natural goalscorer. He’s different to Jamie.”

Iheanacho?

“The role he has been in, he’s done very well in. It’s difficult for any striker when you play with one up front, you need guys who are going to be loyal. He played very well with Jamie. He has made a great impact coming into games. It’s difficult because they get the confidence from scoring goals. He doesn’t play as much as a striker needs to get that rhythm. But he contributes. He brings great energy to the game. He’s still a very valuable player for us and will be important for us in the second half of the season."

Barnes in central role?

“No. If you look at his strengths, they’re in the one v one. It’s about making runs. It’s a different skillset. You’ve got to take the ball in tighter spaces. He combines with other players and getting behind, and then drifting into the spaces. He’s made great strides. His football understanding is getting better. One thing you have to give any player is patience."

Leaders in the squad?

“I’ve tried to promote that here. You encourage them to take that. I’ve been happy with the leadership qualities they are showing. Youri understands what I want and plays with a real authority. James Maddison is doing the same. We’ve tried to promote the players having a voice."

Tough to pick defenders?

“I’m just thankful that with all of the injuries we’ve had. They know they’re required. The same 11 won’t play from now until the end of the season. The players on the outside know they are close to playing, so they have to be ready."

Other players contributing?

“He’s a big miss, of course he is. You’ll see in the games that Vardy hasn’t scored in, we’ve won five and drawn two. We can’t be reliant on one player. It’s not the way I think. We have to have contributions from everyone. We’re seeing developments. Maddison has nine goals and five assists already, he got nine goals and three assists last season. It’s not right just to focus on Jamie. Hopefully we can continue to score while he’s out."

Very fair and honest really. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Very pleased to hear his reasoning and position on Barnes  :appl:

Agreed. I don't know where I saw it, but there are some stats that have Barnes in the top 5 in the league in terms of stats for progressive ball carrying. IE he drives the ball from midfield to attack better than almost any other player in the league. That's his key strength in his game for sure.

All that said, it was interesting that when coming on as a sub against Chelsea that Ricardo played at Right Wing, which I could see being done again in terms of coming off the bench, though I think he will always start as a full back / wing back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Agreed. I don't know where I saw it, but there are some stats that have Barnes in the top 5 in the league in terms of stats for progressive ball carrying. IE he drives the ball from midfield to attack better than almost any other player in the league. That's his key strength in his game for sure.

All that said, it was interesting that when coming on as a sub against Chelsea that Ricardo played at Right Wing, which I could see being done again in terms of coming off the bench, though I think he will always start as a full back / wing back.

Not sure tbh, as Ricardo has only ever played RW 18 times in his career and over half of those were in Portugal, and nearly half of those in Portugal were in Liga 2  :unsure:

Could work, and he certainly seems to have the skill set, be a bit expiremental though!!  lol

• Like 1

I'm torn between us going Iheanacho and Perez up top but that means a change in formation, or go with a Barnes Perez Albrighton front 3 and concede that it could be quite easy for Everton to deal with that and then we rely on the likes of Ünder coming into the game and making a huge impact.

We have struggled vs Everton last season and this season and we seem to be better when we go a but more direct against them and try and fight for the 2nd balls. That's why I'd be tempted with a front 2 pairing.

4 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure tbh, as Ricardo has only ever played RW 18 times in his career and over half of those were in Portugal, and nearly half of those in Portugal were in Liga 2  :unsure:

Could work, and he certainly seems to have the skill set, be a bit expiremental though!!  lol

Yeah I'm not sure about it either, but so far I haven't seen Rodgers rule it out, whereas with Barnes it's very much a "he's not a striker" comment.

Hence why I think Riccy P will always be a full back but we might see him have some came appearances from the bench as a winger. If you wanted to see out a 1-0 lead you'd probably bring him on instead of Under for example.

Anyway no need to stress, all is good at the club at the moment!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Some interesting tidbits from the pre-match press conference. Comments about attackers are quite interesting I think:

Perez to play instead of Vardy?

“It just depends on the game. The type of game we want to play. There’s a lot made when Jamie doesn’t play, he’s one of the best in the league, but our development is about the collective. Forty of our goals have come from others. Jamie’s got 13. Ayo I know will score goals. He hasn’t featured as much this season. He will play a really pivotal role. Whether it’s him, or Kelechi, or someone else, the responsibility for goals is the team."

Vardy?

“He’s a little bit sore as you’d expect. But we hope he’s a quick healer.”

Gray to Palace?

“I haven’t heard anything new today. He trained this morning and trained very well.”

Everton?

“They’re definitely a team that will challenge. They’ve had big investment in the team so they would be expecting to challenge. They have outstanding players and a world class manager. It’s the one disappointing game. We arrive in this game in a totally different moment. The energy is good, we’re playing how we want to. We conceded two poor goals from our perspective. Hopefully our performance level will be better on Wednesday.”

Perez's best position?

“Probably his best position is more central. We’ve had Jamie in that central role, so we’ve had Ayoze out wide, a position he is comfortable. He’s been a very important player for us. It might not feel that for people watching. Last year he adapted really well. He has played so much because of the influence of other players, they’ve kept him out. What I know is that he will score goals. He’s a natural goalscorer. He’s different to Jamie.”

Iheanacho?

“The role he has been in, he’s done very well in. It’s difficult for any striker when you play with one up front, you need guys who are going to be loyal. He played very well with Jamie. He has made a great impact coming into games. It’s difficult because they get the confidence from scoring goals. He doesn’t play as much as a striker needs to get that rhythm. But he contributes. He brings great energy to the game. He’s still a very valuable player for us and will be important for us in the second half of the season."

Barnes in central role?

“No. If you look at his strengths, they’re in the one v one. It’s about making runs. It’s a different skillset. You’ve got to take the ball in tighter spaces. He combines with other players and getting behind, and then drifting into the spaces. He’s made great strides. His football understanding is getting better. One thing you have to give any player is patience."

Leaders in the squad?

“I’ve tried to promote that here. You encourage them to take that. I’ve been happy with the leadership qualities they are showing. Youri understands what I want and plays with a real authority. James Maddison is doing the same. We’ve tried to promote the players having a voice."

Tough to pick defenders?

“I’m just thankful that with all of the injuries we’ve had. They know they’re required. The same 11 won’t play from now until the end of the season. The players on the outside know they are close to playing, so they have to be ready."

Other players contributing?

“He’s a big miss, of course he is. You’ll see in the games that Vardy hasn’t scored in, we’ve won five and drawn two. We can’t be reliant on one player. It’s not the way I think. We have to have contributions from everyone. We’re seeing developments. Maddison has nine goals and five assists already, he got nine goals and three assists last season. It’s not right just to focus on Jamie. Hopefully we can continue to score while he’s out."

The more I hear from him, the more I'm beginning to understand just how disappointing it's going to be when he inevitably leaves. We're in great hands and long may it continue.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, StanSP said:

Mike Dean. 

I do find it a bit mad that a bloke who lives on the Wirral is allowed to officiate both Liverpool and Everton games. Kevin Friend lives in Leicester and he doesn’t ref our games. 

I maybe just find it mad because I think Mike Dean is a complete helmet lol 

• Like 1

I am so not sure who I would select....but so whatever B.Rodgers decide, I will see as a good selection....

Even welcome Gray back into the fold,if Rodgers decides, he deserves it...!!

Individuals will have their own ideas & favourite set-up...but with these various fan tweets on selection  is showing us now how strong

our squad actually  is.    Top players Coming back, slowly being nursed, getting match fit and straight into team rythme...

We have seen  youngsters Knocking on the door, a couple actually ,Knocking that Bloody door down...!!!

Just consider...

Justin comes in from within..solves both FB positions even WB, if asked..!!

Thomas. Comes in, proves he is reliable cover.

Fofana/Castagna...both come in quietens any back line panic..

Fofana  & Justin could Now  be suprisingly competing for fans POS..

Mendy...Rekindles his City career, holds that DM-position & plays us into those Top 4 positions, early in the season..

Under..when selected not let himself or Team down, high caliber moments when called upon, unfortunate injury & Knock at the wrong time.

Albrighton ..The legend keeps giving...what a hidden Quiet gem, who Never fails to carry the banner..

Shows Under, Maybe even Barnes, what is expected..

Soyuncu returns, Riccardo returns, Evans seems to be Finding a 2nd wind after nagging injuries...

giving Rodgers a positive sort of headache...

N'didi returns...comes back immediate with top performances...

Tielemans...The ever present...if N'didi is the holding dynamo, then Tieleemans is the Front 6 Dynamo and gives the team the forward movement tact.

Tielemans also candidate for POS.

Maddison, After being nursed back into the team, proving he is becoming that high octane driving force...Twins well with Tielemans..

Barnes..just keeps getting better

Team...and this is important .Of late not depending on Vardy,  other players taking responsibility around the Penalty box...

Across and through the lines & channels,even with injury interuptions

has slowly found consistency & hitting that high quality interfacing regularity..

We can Ride slow starts, and carry mistakes & mishaps.  we have goals in & around the team.

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lots of comment about corners . I see signs LCF have been practicing. 3 short corners in the last two matches. we're mixing up corner takers occasionally (and free kick takers ,equally important) , JJ's technique in his Chelsea miss was excellent but he should have been taught , almost always head downwards in that situation. Its not rocket science , everyone can leap upwards quickly using leg muscles and arm swing : Try it, until they install a bar rail across goals you have to use gravity to "leap" downwards, far slower. although you are faster downwards after about 30 feet if the ground is n't in the way. No need to try this, its risky. By definition the goalkeeper will be on his feet (try moving rapidly across your carpet on your knees or even worse on your belly) . Had Justin headed more definitely downwards( the head can rotate only about the neck) I think he'd have got it. IMO he deserves more goals and an OBE. Cags has definitely improved his headers (one abberation against Brentford). That was one time a defensive header would have been better. I think little Wes has improved too. Evans ,Ndidi, Vardy and others are pretty good now but practice never hurts. 

In one line. Vary setpiece takers (incl. corners), vary set piece plays,practice attacking headers not defensive "tent peg' ones, practice corners (theirs and ours).

If we did this we would n't have had Mendy defending the Brentford corner in the middle of the goalmouth (not his fault). Anymore than it was Gray's fault or iheanachos fault what happened at Xtal Palace.  What did you expect to happen ? Oh forgot one thing you have to develop a simple code to indicate varied set pieces. I don't see that as taking more than 5 minutes for this squad and BR.

Next month as we progress towards a treble I have a new subject to moan about.And a suggestion for  overcoming it. Who said "can't wait"

Edited by Alan Frost

I’m not sure you’d play Ricardo twice in three days coming back from injury. So, Castange comes back in at right back, Justin is an automatic choice now at LB. The big question is who plays at CB, three quality choices available and one is always going to feel disappointed.

The only other question is Albrighton or Under, both offer something completely different. I would be tempted to go Albrighton away and Under at home or against teams that might play very deep and need some unlocking.

I would go

Kasper 
Castange  

Fofana

Evans

Justin 

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Albrighton  

Perez

Barnes

Subs: Ward, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Mendy, Under, Iheanacho, Thomas, + 2 from the rest of the squad

• Like 1

I don’t think he will change the shape, and I think he will go for Kelch up top and Kevin on the right side. 

I think Everton shit themselves if you have a go at them, defensively the are not great, and Wilf will be all over James. Going to take us being organised and well drilled and clinical and we will have these. Come lads. 

8 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

I’m not sure you’d play Ricardo twice in three days coming back from injury. So, Castange comes back in at right back, Justin is an automatic choice now at LB. The big question is who plays at CB, three quality choices available and one is always going to feel disappointed.

The only other question is Albrighton or Under, both offer something completely different. I would be tempted to go Albrighton away and Under at home or against teams that might play very deep and need some unlocking.

I would go

Kasper 
Castange  

Fofana

Evans

Justin 

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Albrighton  

Perez

Barnes

Subs: Ward, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Mendy, Under, Iheanacho, Thomas, + 2 from the rest of the squad

Sounds spot on to me. Fofana, Justin and Castagne haven't done anything to warrant being replaced yet, and Albrighton has proven to be one of our most important players during this run. Although I do hope Under gets a chance to come off the bench and continue the form he showed against Brentford.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting us to make more than one change from the Chelsea game for this match. That will be Perez or Nacho for Vardy, although I'd imagine that Brendan will go for Perez. 

I think that Under makes a better impact sub than Albrighton. If MA plays you've probably got to start him. As others have said I wouldn't be surprised if Under replaces Albrighton if we're chasing the game or Ricardo comes in for him if we're in front. 

Everton's midfield has suffered from injury/suspension, so Ancelotti will likely cede the midfield to us and play to his team's strengths, trying to hit us on the counter with their very talented attack - Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, and Rodriguez have a lot of quality to cause us problems. Their defence is back to full fitness. They'll probably play with Mina and Keane as their centrebacks, two huge players who will easily be able to deal with any crosses. They may even play with a back three - Holgate and Godfrey both offer defensive quality, and have been in good form. If I had to guess, their team would look something like this;

Richarlison Calvert-Lewin Rodriguez

Gomes Holgate Iwobi

Digne Mina Keane Godfrey

Maybe Digne won't play as he has just come back from injury. I hope so, because Davies would likely take Holgates place in midfield in that case, and Davies is fvcking shit.

With this in mind, we should be looking to completely swamp them, out-press them in every way, and isolate their front three. This would have the added benefit of hopefully not conceding from corners as much. I would try

Iheanacho Maddison

Barnes Tielemans Ndidi Perez

Castagne Evans Fofana Justin

Maddison playing as a ten/second striker, hopefully supporting Iheanacho enough so he can really get into the game. In possession, Perez and Barnes would also try to get central (particularly Perez), really cause some problems for their defenders and allow Iheanacho to do what he does best, which is link up with his teammates. Perez over Albrighton because he offers a higher goal threat whilst keeping a high work rate in that position, not to mention he can beat his man and Digne is quite poor defending 1 on 1 despite his other qualities. Justin on the right because he can hopefully do a number on Richarlison (Rodriguez will be drifting into the middle anyway so no point trying to get a fullback to closely mark him).

Our midfield two will be good enough for their midfield three, and the forwards will all also press them so we will have the majority of possession. The fullbacks will hopefully offer us some width, and this should allow Barnes and Perez to tuck in and create some havoc.

Despite this, the best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley. If Everton score first, which they can do, particularly looking at their strength and our weakness at corners, they will be a very tough nut to crack. I think we should still win though.

2-1, 2-0, or 3-1 to us.

• Like 2

On 24/01/2021 at 17:14, bart said:

This is what I was asking in the Vardy thread. Wasn't there a match we tried this fairly unsuccessfully last season? 

Might allow Under to play on the left.

Was t it against Brentford in the cup and he scored?

There's no doubt there's a different Leicester team turning up for this game than the patched up version we sent out last December. 

It wasn't a great game for us, but the result felt about right and there wasn't too much disappointment considering the options we had.

Tomorrow night however, Everton will have to be much better than they were that night.

I see Justin and Castagne critical to this game, both linking everything together and continuing the slick lightning moves we've been seeing recently. 

Click with that, and I think this is a win for us. 

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm not convinced Under wouldn't be far more dangerous as a false 9 than Perez or Kelechi.

I'm extremely convinced.

Under's strength is when he's got the ball and he's looking to take a defender on.

Perez's strength is taking the ball into feet and finding give and goes with the midfield. He's also genuinely quite strong and good at holding the ball up.

Perez has to start as false 9 for me. Get Mina and Keane moving around to create space for Barnes, Maddison and Albrighton.

• Like 3