Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Leeds H Post Match Thread

1 minute ago, Line-X said:

It's not often that words completely fail me (and I apologies for that) - but on this occasion, it's probably for the best. 

I think reading posts like the one you reference demonstrates just how the extended lock-down in the UK is affecting some FT members.  

• Like 1

Fofana needs some time out to spend on the training ground for a few weeks. That's not to say he isnt Evan's no.1 but I do think that he is getting slightly cocky and reckless and that we need Cags back to stabilise that back 4. He is just turned 20 but I think it shows too in his play

13 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Patrick Bamford was everything today that Ayoze Perez wasn’t.

A threat, a handful, strength, awareness, played with his head up, scored a goal and set up two others.

I’m not saying Perez was decent today but Bamford’s involvement flatters to deceive, the 1st goal was poor tracking from castagne although it seems an injury hindered him, Bamfords first was sloppy by us and especially lazy defending from Evans not getting himself into position with the back line playing him onside, Leeds 3rd was poor from us especially from Maddison watching Bamford go past him, Maddison knew he was at fault by his reaction on the pitch when the ball went in 

If and when the team watches this game back there will some very uncomfortable moments in the room 

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

Fofana needs some time out to spend on the training ground for a few weeks. That's not to say he isnt Evan's no.1 but I do think that he is getting slightly cocky and reckless and that we need Cags back to stabilise that back 4. He is just turned 20 but I think it shows too in his play

Is argue it’s Evans that needs sidelining for a while. He looks like the Evans of West Brom. 

Losing at home to both promoted sides, I bet WBA must be licking their lips. Jeez we are frustrating at times, put a run together, tease us good and just as we are about to climax they bring out a horror show and ruin the moment. 

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

I’m not saying Perez was decent today but Bamford’s involvement flatters to deceive, the 1st goal was poor tracking from castagne although it seems an injury hindered him, Bamfords first was sloppy by us and especially lazy defending from Evans not getting himself into position with the back line playing him onside, Leeds 3rd was poor from us especially from Maddison watching Bamford go past him, Maddison knew he was at fault by his reaction on the pitch when the ball went in 

If and when the team watches this game back there will some very uncomfortable moments in the room 

I think we’d all be delighted if Perez had ‘flattered to deceive’ like that...

4 minutes ago, jim5000 said:

Rodgers is not pro-active. If we won the last game, same line-up. He only ever makes changes when things are going wrong rather than foreseeing challenges. Hence why his teams never quite get over the line (see Liverpool).

The only thing he never changes is his man love for Ayoze Perez. 

Did you not understand what I wrote? Of course he's pro-active, I'm arguing he was too pro-active when he had the better strategy in our away game. BR literally changed our formation at half time. That's being pro-active. You can argue whether it's the right change but you can't say it's not being pro-active. 

His team got over the line plenty of times at Celtic and you're blaming BR for Gerrard's fumble??? Your takes on football are awful, I'm thinking this sport isn't for you. Once lawn bowls starts back up again maybe you should take jog down there.   

43 minutes ago, shen said:

Mendy is no world-beater, but it's unfair to claim he was negative today. He really wasn't. He tried to inject pace and look for the forward ball. 

He will never have Ndidi's physicality or Kanté's unreal anticipation, so we have to live with his limitations. He's absolutely committed and composed on the ball too, good backup.

He needs a back five behind him. Our high line and back four doesn't work with Mendy infront of them.

Also we are more exposed at set pieces unless we have the extra CB on without Ndidi

Maybe Dallas and Namford would get into our team. 

Then "mendy moaners" must have watched a different game.

We set up in a way that would cramp Madison... that's down to Rodgers. 

Although he tries perez is not a top six striker.

We have depth and quality everywhere except centre forward ... so fix it

1 minute ago, Pliskin said:

Is argue it’s Evans that needs sidelining for a while. He looks like the Evans of West Brom. 

That's true to be fair. I've noticed he isnt barking instructions around the box as much as usual and his placement isn't as good. He looked worn out today. Who knows, maybe we were premature to give him that length of contract extension.

Just as we’ve had a lot of performances recently where the majority of players have been on form, the opposite happened today. Too many off their game, almost seemed contagious. However I think we have to accept that in a season such as this that is going to happen, peaks and troughs. All teams are struggling for consistency, only Man City seem to have now found some and we are nowhere near their level...What is important now is a positive result on Wednesday, show a bit of character and hopefully we can stop the slump before it’s even really started. Before today people were praising our strength in depth, it’s one game so to soon to be questioning those that have come in. Vardy and ndidi are clearly the two players we’re always going to struggle without. We’ve just lost so people are bound to be reactive, but let’s stick with the boys and for the love of god take madders off set pieces 😂

Edited by matty2702

10 minutes ago, Hoopla10 said:

I don't tend to blame BR but today I feel it is a mix of bad tactics from BR and no Vardy. When we beat Leeds away their fans cried that we defended and hit them on the break. But it worked because it was the right strategy. So fast forward to today in the first half we played open and even though scored we could have easily been 2 or 3 down at half time. But without Vardy there's practically no point attempting to play that same strategy as the away game. Without Vardy there's no point playing Albrighton. That's no criticism of Albrighton. He whipped a great ball into the Leed's box a few minutes before half time and it drops into a perfect spot and yet nobody near it. If we can't play to his strengths why play him? It made much more sense in how both teams played in that first half that Under started. But I still think that away strategy is the one we should have employed once we'd gone one nil up. It's unthinkable that we allowed them back into the game just two minutes after scoring. They're not good at breaking teams down so we should have given them the ball and defended. 

Maddison has been great recently but felt invisible the second half. I genuinely have no idea how somebody who can show insane skill from set pieces at times can't take a corner. It is painful to watch now. In our last game it was as if BR had also given up and just made them take short corners. He has got to sort it out because we waste so many chances which is not helped by our defenders who can't score from set pieces (in total our defenders have scored something like 2 goals all season). Whether it's because he doesn't get good balls in or they can't score we wont know until they fix it. Why not let Albrighton take some? 

People complaining about Perez are valid but they kept saying bring on a proper striker. What proper striker??? We have one, Vardy, he's out. I don't know about anybody else but I gave up on Perez as an out and out striker over a year ago. He as other assets to his game that I'm willing to encourage given we as a club seem unable to buy a proper striker. His movement in the first half led to Barnes's goal. He and Mads created the space for Barnes to run into. Once BR changed the formation though then he became redundant. But Nacho wouldn't have changed anything imo.

Anyway we move on. Sorry for the ramble. 

Couldn't have put it better myself, I said to my dad (we often text chat during the matches) I would have thought he'd play 3 at the back as so effective at Elland Road, I thought it was the right thing to do at half time and defensively we looked a lot more secure but our front line was pretty blunt today, maybe credit to Leeds but the reason they won was from an unforgivable tactic of bringing our centre halves into the box for a free kick and jot beating the first man. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

The good news...

Wilf and Jamie will return in a couple of weeks....

the bad news...

it does not take much to drop out of the Top 4 positions in the table and a couple of losses may seal our fate.

...hope we have a decent team for the EL in couple of weeks.

There is some comfort to take from other similarly placed teams dropping points and failing to get wins from games agAinst lower sides 

9 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Rodgers had to try Perez....hes proving too lightweight, he gets in the right positions, IMO doesn't Really have a Bad game,

but at present cant get that decisive  run or pass away, Shame his goal was disallowed ( rightly)....

Having tried him, and found him wanting, he keeps playing him.

Don't get why people say "shame his goal was disallowed" without pointing out that it was very slack of him to not be aware and get back onside quickly.  In the same situation it would be very unlikely to find Vardy, or any other smart forward, straying carelessly offside.  Another example of why he's not good enough as a striker (and no matter that he prefers a false 9 role, he should be much sharper and more aware in potential goal-scoring situations).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hammo said:

True to a degree, but Perez doesn’t appear to know how to get himself into those kinds of spaces. He is not naturally inclined to seek gaps between defenders into which to make a run. His first instinct is to retreat into midfield and receive the ball back to goal... and then he invariably lacks the strength to hold off his marker and therefore gives away dangerous possession with others out of position.

He has shown time and time again that the only position he is half decent in is as a central support striker. He can’t play up front on his own. Case closed.

I don’t want him up there, we need better. But at no point did we get today or against Everton the space we gifted those two teams.

It’s not all on him, we didn’t get much from the full back other than a few bits. Tieleman’s trying to run everything but with little movement and packed defences you have to be perfect. Barnes didn’t get into the game enough and Maddison barring one pass hardly impacted the game positively.

We have to do more as a team all around to create the spaces. Whether it’s drawing teams out or working the ball up to him. 

Vardy hasn’t scored for a while and only has 5 goals from open play. Perhaps we need to asses the style if the strikers are struggling in open play at the moment? 

• Like 2