Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

33 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The Big 6 was pushed as something as a special elite club to be part of, now that same tag is used as an insult and to sneer at lol We are the anti-big 6 and people love us for it! 

Hardly surprising that it’s a laughable grouping when it includes two steaming heaps from North London in it 

• Haha 3

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-fa-cup-final-chelsea-b1848301.html

Interesting article here.

Having met Miguel and chatted to him, he's not pro Leicester at all - he went out of his way to explain to me that the 2016 title success down to us doping as a result of one of Ranieri's backroom staff. 

He does however make some interesting observations on the face of it, the 105% revenue to wages ratio is lazy though, going off a year the world went to shit and £30m of prize money was deferred to next years accounts. 

On reflection it's a bit shit and lazy.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/leicester-fa-cup-final-chelsea-b1848301.html

Interesting article here.

Having met Miguel and chatted to him, he's not pro Leicester at all - he went out of his way to explain to me that the 2016 title success down to us doping as a result of one of Ranieri's backroom staff. 

He does however make some interesting observations on the face of it, the 105% revenue to wages ratio is lazy though, going off a year the world went to shit and £30m of prize money was deferred to next years accounts. 

On reflection it's a bit shit and lazy.

I would definitely agree with that summary - "shit and lazy". 

A crude summary of the 2nd half of that...

• Our rise is down to us breaching FFP
  • The Leicester story isn't a fairytale because we are owned by a Thai family and the Thais have a "questionable human rights record" and may have monopolized the duty free market
  • Rodgers should go but he won't just yet
  • Fofana should go but he won't just yet
  • They can't keep finding good replacements forever

Zero insight. 

• Like 2

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9588363/LEICESTER-FAN-VIEW-fitting-Khun-holding-FA-Cup-iconic-image-Wembley.html

LEICESTER FAN VIEW: It was fitting that Khun Top's emotional look to the skies while holding the FA Cup was the iconic image from the Wembley final... he has built on the legacy of his late father Vichai and now the next step is to keep the Foxes' big stars

3 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I'm enjoying the kind of fluid rivalries we seem to establish with the teams around us on an annual basis.

Everton feels like the one at the moment, largely because their fans are salty at us acheiving what they were expected to do with their manager and two or three years of spaffing cash. It's the first one since the title season that's genuinely felt like it has a bit of edge to it. Scousers gonna Scouse. :thumbup:

Before that, there was maybe a bit of it with Wolves too when we were both in and around the Europa spots. It was more good-natured though - a bit of a mutual respect thing, a bit like with West Ham this season. Respecting the fact that we were both in there upsetting the established order.

And going back, the Tottenham stuff was classic. And still is, even if we've managed to rise above seeing them as direct rivals for the time being. Feels a bit like kicking someone when they're down at this point. :fishing:

Before that, Watford. That's another one that's turned friendly over the years, though I guarantee you'll still find a chunk of their fanbase that would bring up Deeney Day at the drop of a hat. Don't blame 'em to be honest - it was a classic moment, and probably the last time it truly felt like the football gods were consipring against us. :whistle: Looking forward to Vicarage Road next year, it's a good away day!

And I guess you have to go back even further to find a time when the East Midlands rivalries actually mattered. It seems like an age ago now, and that's because it was - we haven't played Forest, Derby or Cov regularly for nearly ten years now.

That "We're Leicester City, we're all on our own!" chant has proven quite prophetic. 

Strange as it may seem, not having a proper rival doesn't even matter anymore. It's like having a maverick club instead of maverick players.

• Like 3

From the Stoke City Oatcake forum

I can't help it. I have developed an unhealthy resentment towards the title winning, self-styled "Kings of the Midlands" It just don't seem fair that their recruitment of players has been so incredibly good whilst ours has been so incredibly bad. If they win the F.A. Cup today I fear my resentment may tip over into something resembling hatred.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, LC/FC said:

That "We're Leicester City, we're all on our own!" chant has proven quite prophetic. 

Strange as it may seem, not having a proper rival doesn't even matter anymore. It's like having a maverick club instead of maverick players.

I love the all on our own narrative from our 'rivals'. Them singing it's Forest and Derby you're all on your own and we don't care about you.

There was a bit of envy from me in the past because we hadn't won the trophies that they had, which most of their fans could barely remember. Now it's pure jealousy from them because of what we've achieved.  

We're all on our own because we've left them light years behind and long may it continue. :scarf:

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jim5000 said:

The people's club - https://www.football365.com/news/peoples-club-all-leicester-city-now

The people’s club? Are we all Leicester City now?

Date published: Monday 17th May 2021 3:12 - Jacque Talbot

Jamie-Vardy-Leicester-CIty-1200x630.jpg

Jamie Vardy loves a party. It’s been so long we had almost forgotten. It was closing down on 90 minutes and the ball went out for a corner following a challenge on the striker. Triumphantly returning to his stance, he beckoned the crowd in hordes no more than five yards away, swaying his arms for the first time in almost 15 months. The noise they returned was quite something. Boy, have they missed this. So have we.

The sense of occasion was not lost. Leicester beat Chelsea to win the FA Cup for the first time in their history; the game was also played two days before we made another Government-legislated step out of this miserable hole we’ve called life for the past year or so.

Yes, this was obviously a cup final victory carrying rather more significance.

Chelsea 0-1 Leicester: 16 FA Cup final Conclusions

Chelsea might have been reluctant partners in the European Super League – think Rodion Raskolnikov believing his repugnant actions could be condoned – but partners they were. These times. The oligarchs, the breakaways, the PR-plastered apology videos, the clubs suing league bodies. The media has a duty to report every facet but sometimes it’s refreshing to just clear such noise, to experience what we’re all here for – the slick passing, the audacious dribbles, the crowd roars, the hardy Belgian talisman blasting into the top corner from 28 yards. Even VAR played its part in the elation on the day; even that unruly gate-crasher could not spoil this party.

But for Leicester, this particular spectacle – arguably simultaneously the best 1-0 win and FA Cup final ever – is a perfect crowning of their own making. An emotive tale no Hollywood producer could have envisaged, it began at Vicarage Road with Troy Deeney breaking hearts seconds after they had the taste of promotion in their mouths. Then, of course, came promotion, the bizarre ostrich outburst, then revival from imminent relegation and then their actual title win, as breathtaking sporting achievement as any.

But every story has an arch, and this was no different in that it was marred with tragedy – the passing of their owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha and four others, each dying just yards from where Wes Morgan lifted the trophy to the awe of millions, where Leicester played their first ever Champions League game against Porto.

But Srivaddhanaprabha’s legacy has continued through his son Aiyawatt ‘Top’ Srivaddhanaprabha, who sees sport in the same terms as his late father.

Leicester’s philosophy is impeccable. They don’t ravage the transfer market to progress. They have a quiet ambition. Steady patience. Even in times of regression: from champions to 12th, to ninth, to fifth, and now firmly in a Champions League spot. It’s remarkable that their net spend is less than £100m since winning the title in 2016 and yet they find themselves back in contention for European football and winning major silverware. They have lost some of their biggest assets – Riyad Mahrez and Harry Maguire, N’Golo Kanté and Ben Chilwell were all picked up by the Big Six – and replaced them with barely any fuss.

Their acquisitions have been immeasurably effective: a glowing model perhaps only shared by Atalanta. Wesley Fofana cost just £9million last summer and is WhoScored’s second-best centre-back in the league this season. Timothy Castagne has been pivotal for just £16million. This week’s hero Youri Tielemans was a relatively pricey £40m but the dogged Wilfred Ndidi was just £17million. Even Kelechi Iheanacho, who seemed destined to be banished to lands where Francis Jeffers and Sadio Berahino roam, has now scored 18 goals this season. His rejuvenation is another component of Leicesterism: not giving in to the impatient high turnover culture the league supposedly requires. There is reason to give time, to nurture. Leicester, doing it differently and winning along the way.

Brendan Rodgers Kelechi Iheanacho Leicester F365

Of course, it’s the Vardy tale we’re always told is symbolic of his club, a walking microcosm of his club’s entire abrupt accession. From Fleetwood to here, a Premier League galactico, the striking python, even at 34. But we must not forget Brendan Rodgers has had an arch, too. Those last bleak days of Liverpool are behind him – the near-miss and the subsequent recuperation he could not pull together. He shouldered their failure and left.

Not with this club. There has been reignition. Leicester are third and he’s won his first major silverware in England. It’s likely that his own story means he too understands the significance of Leicester’s representation in the Premier League. “It has been pretty clear with the talk around the Super League and super-clubs and how they have been defined, but for us we would love to continue growing to be that people’s club as such: the club that supporters around the country look at and hope that their own club can do a Leicester in challenging the elite of the game,” he said.

To do a Leicester – defined as ‘to yield success despite the banker you’re playing against pocketing cash in front of your eyes’. Instead of feeling sorry for themselves. Leicester use this crooked game as a way of elevating their belief and desire. You have to be even more formidable and cunning when you are playing against the house.

Of course we like them. They offer a semblance of hope for the rest of us. You don’t have to play dirty if you play smart. That explained the collective jubilation on Saturday; it wasn’t just an intangible shared feeling of the unravelling of our Covid world, the drawing back of darkness to reveal our real world in its normality once more; it was also that Leicester’s win challenges our deeply held belief that football is naturally unfair.

It shouldn’t be this way. The top clubs in our league should really be a source of pride, yet nobody seems truly bothered by the upcoming Champions League final which features two of our own. But that’s their own making and how they’ve operated for some time, as their own mutinous boys’ club within the league.

Though this is all relevant to Leicester and how they’ve operated, this piece has already given the Big Six too much attention. There is nothing more to be gained in bemoaning the dissenters, to consume ourselves in their failings. In fact, why should we even pay attention to them at all when we have seen what Leicester have twice achieved now? The outsiders can continue to band together and meddle behind closed doors, but the exhilaration we experienced last weekend they’ll never fully quash. And this is hopefully just the beginning.

surely not ? have we done it again ? I was sure he cost 8 Kante’s ?

23 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

I love the all on our own narrative from our 'rivals'. Them singing it's Forest and Derby you're all on your own and we don't care about you.

There was a bit of envy from me in the past because we hadn't won the trophies that they had, which most of their fans could barely remember. Now it's pure jealousy from them because of what we've achieved.  

We're all on our own because we've left them light years behind and long may it continue. :scarf:

It's great as they keep clinging to history, while we're here now trying to make it. And succeeding!

I understand the local rivalry being in the Midlands area with all 3 of Notts, Derby and Cov back in the day. But tbh maybe it was different in the older generations, but none of it ever really seemed bad. It was almost like banter rivalry in the 90s/00s compared derbys like  Celtic-Rangers; Utd-Liverpool; Real-Barca; Arsenal-Spurs. Then Derby and Notts decided to close shop and Cov went and just decided to be shit.

We as it always has been, our our own worst enemies really and had to go down to rise up.

Even now Leicester City is Leicester City's own worst enemy. So we don't really need a rival tbf, it seems.

Maybe one day if one of those clubs get their act together and gain promotion back to the Premier League a rivalry might begin again locally but the longer it takes for that to happen for any of those clubs, the more Leicester City will pull away from them in terms of Global profile and identity. We've done a 5000-1 Fairytale League win and just finished another amazing story in our history by putting to bed a ghost that has haunted us for decades and generations by winning the FA cup. Which was even more of a holy grail than the League Title, because tbf again just being lil ol'Leicester and capitulating 4 times, we were satisfied enough to settle for the 1 FA cup over anything as ambitious and audacious as becoming Champions of England.

And yet it ended up not being the holy grail to most (though for a lot of you older lot, it still was), it was somehow the missing piece of doing a Domestic GrandSlam.

Also we're continuously aiming for European Football.

And for some reason now, we're the darlings, saviours and poster boys of the Premier League against the greed and tyranny of silent, uncaring owners. Against the backdrop furore of the ESL, playing one of the members, the first big game with a crowd back after a year of isolation, on free to air television, we as Leicester City as a whole club and fans together completed, as one backpage put it, Fairytale 2. With an all time top goal and legendary saves as well as stoppage time drama. 

Our club from literally Top, as is his name, to bottom is one big family. The owners, players and fans showing others how it can and should be. The fact that we can elicit such jealousy and envy of other clubs supporters is still mind boggling to some extent.

This fuching club, I tell thee.

As someone once said "Football. Bloody hell."

• Like 1

Listening to talkspot earlier on the way home from work and Adrian Durham said something that resonated with me a bit.

He was going on about Jamie O'Hara calling us part of the big 6 and how disrespectful it was to call us that. Apart from being his usual wind up self, he came up with a good point. He wasn't saying it was disrespectful to call is part of the big 6 because we weren't, but because we don't want to be. 

The "big 6" have become the villains in the pantomime recently and we are the heroes. We don't want to be seen as part of that elitist group because we represent everything that they are not. I'm fairly certain being who and what he is, he was just looking for a reaction with the way he said it, but he's right.

We don't want to be seen as part of the big 6, we want to be seen as Leicester city. We want to be seen as the club with a connection with the fans, with an ethos to be proud of that runs from the very top to the very bottom and out beyond the confines of the club.

It gets my goat a bit when people moan about sky not talking about us etc etc I believe that is a proper small club, woe is me mentality. 

We are, and are starting to be seen as, the club that a lot of people are envious of, we bring relative success while not forgetting our roots. 

For every villain there is always a hero, long may it continue to be us

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Wouldn't you rather be hated (as a club) than ignored? 

If you want to be loved by all, football isn't the game for you. 

Exactly this! 

Now that we have been successful it is basically inevitable there will be a backlash. It is a key trend in modern culture - you become everybody’s favourite and then people start to resent your popularity - James Corden syndrome!

The media has created this narrative that we are the ‘good guys’ leading the fight against the football superpowers. There are elements of truth in this, but in reality we have inevitably had large amounts of money invested in the club and I’m sure that becoming a billionaire in Thailand means that you have had to work the system at times.

I am proud of the way the club has conducted business in recent times, but I don’t like seeing the gushing articles from journalists, because I know they would delight in writing the story of the rise and fall of Leicester City in a few years. I felt emotional watching us lift the FA Cup, just like I felt emotional when we beat Derby to get into the Prem in 94. I love the club and the City regardless of any narrative the media wants to spin.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

:appl:

Couldn't agree more. There are 92 clubs within the Professional League Pyramid and countless others below that. Every club means something to someone, somewhere. The clubs that wanted to break away were essentially prepared to start a cartel to steal football from the very people that invented it! I want Leicester to be successful, but never at the cost of becoming a team like one of those. 

That final was everything right about football, in it's purest form. One of the paper's back page headline was "Fairy Tale 2" which summed it up perfectly for me. What a magical day it was, and if you look at the reaction from 95% of fans around the country, they all enjoyed it too. 

Cup wins like ours, Wigan and Portsmouth were much more special and memorable than Man City spanking yet another team in the final. 

20210516_092729.jpg

Wouldnt it of been marvellous, if we were Not in Covid times...

Your on holiday...Then Sunday Morning you go out chasing the Sunday papers..Buy or Swap with other Brit Holiday makers...

An whole day of Reading through the Sports pages.....dip into the sea,then go back to Read the Next one....forgetting The Wife & kids are still

waiting in the hotel, for the promised Adventure day out...as You down your 4th Tequilla sunrise, Chasing down a pint..

After your 2nd Full English breakfast....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Listening to talkspot earlier on the way home from work and Adrian Durham said something that resonated with me a bit.

He was going on about Jamie O'Hara calling us part of the big 6 and how disrespectful it was to call us that. Apart from being his usual wind up self, he came up with a good point. He wasn't saying it was disrespectful to call is part of the big 6 because we weren't, but because we don't want to be. 

The "big 6" have become the villains in the pantomime recently and we are the heroes. We don't want to be seen as part of that elitist group because we represent everything that they are not. I'm fairly certain being who and what he is, he was just looking for a reaction with the way he said it, but he's right.

We don't want to be seen as part of the big 6, we want to be seen as Leicester city. We want to be seen as the club with a connection with the fans, with an ethos to be proud of that runs from the very top to the very bottom and out beyond the confines of the club.

It gets my goat a bit when people moan about sky not talking about us etc etc I believe that is a proper small club, woe is me mentality. 

We are, and are starting to be seen as, the club that a lot of people are envious of, we bring relative success while not forgetting our roots. 

For every villain there is always a hero, long may it continue to be us

I mean, yeah. For some people it does bug them that Leicester are a bit of an afterthought for Sky sometimes but for me, sometimes after a game, I want to watch the post match analysis. Especially if we have just won or I like the pundits and it is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you don't get any because a "bigger" team are playing an hour after our final whistle and they want to cram as much pre match guff in as possible. 

1 hour ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I mean, yeah. For some people it does bug them that Leicester are a bit of an afterthought for Sky sometimes but for me, sometimes after a game, I want to watch the post match analysis. Especially if we have just won or I like the pundits and it is a bit of a kick in the teeth when you don't get any because a "bigger" team are playing an hour after our final whistle and they want to cram as much pre match guff in as possible. 

I think what grinds most peoples gears is that we get dismissed as if we aren’t there or don’t deserve to be there because of our stature. When in reality, only three other clubs have won the premier league since us, we’ve just won the fa cup and will be finishing no lower than 5th for the second season in a row. We are easily the best run club in the country. We operate within our means and when one of our big players leaves we reinvest wisely. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Poznan34 said:

:giggle:

Everton are so funny. Doesn't matter what they do in the transfer markets, doesn't matter what manager they have, doesn't matter what other teams do...they're just gonna finish 7-10th. Must be one of the least eventful clubs.

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

These people are so thick it's unreal. 

Let them fester. There are a fair few weirdos that can't stand the thought of it being us, rather than them, that have led the charge for the fairytale narrative. They're in a small minority though.

I had a Palace fan trying to complain that we were "stealing songs" again on Twitter yesterday for posting the Youri Tielemans song. Poor lad either can't read very well or has no sense of rhythm.

Wp0dmOl.png

Am I doing this "WUMming" thing right, folks? :knockyhat:

He'd have had a heart attack if he ever heard me and my brother in the stands. We used to sing "du-du-du... Ben Hamer" whenever his name popped up. lol