Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The "do they mean us?" thread pt 3

6 hours ago, hejammy said:

You're right. Growing up I remember in primary school I was 1 of 2 Leicester fans and was much the same in secondary school and college. Now in my sons class the overwhelming majority are Leicester fans. Great to see and perhaps we really do need that stadium expansion in a few years time! 

Im in my 20s and the majority of people i went to school with back in ‘the noughties’ were Leicester fans. There were a few Leeds, Man United and Liverpool but far outnumbered by Leicester

25 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Leicester top spotted on the coast in Pembrokeshire. Upon interrogation, said child not from Leicester. 

We're massive. 

Saw a kid with a full Leicester kit in the park with his family. The parents and kid sounded very London. Still bizarre to think that kid possibly choose us due to our relative success.

44 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Leicester top spotted on the coast in Pembrokeshire. Upon interrogation, said child not from Leicester. 

We're massive. 

Did you release said child post interrogation? I have the police on speed dial, answer carefully...

I was down in Windsor when we got promoted, had a few people stop me and congratulate me. A couple of years later I was down there again, again had a few people stop and wished me luck, hoping that we’d win the league, one a gooner, also got stopped by an exiled Leicester fan.

The summer after we won the league I was waiting at Mercia airport in Spain, when I got talking to another City fan, before long there was about 4/5 of us all reminiscing about that great season. It was a shame to go and catch the plane. The kids had asked the mrs were i was, she’d replied, ‘oh, he’s found some Leicester fans again’ lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The majority of my senior school life coincided with the Pleat era,when football really wasn’t trendy and we were truly dreadful.Yet I can think of at least twenty pupils from my year and the year above who were Leicester mad.When choosing Liverpool would have been the easiest thing to do.Plus three or four girls thrown in.In fact two of them were Leicester bonkers and didn’t ever miss a home match.Our PE teacher used to occasionally get batches of free tickets.Twenty at a time for the double decker.Always for mid week games and never had to hand any back.

Can only remember one Forest fan and that was at junior school.Even though they were light years ahead of us at the time.Would be a shame if we can’t expand whilst on top while Forest press ahead.

Theme park in Isle of Wight - only football top seen..... A Leicester City one! (although there was another small child with a Stoke shirt but we won't count that!) we've reached the small Islands so we're massive! 

I wear my Leicester shirt all the time around my local area (north Kent/South East London). I get stopped all the time, and people are genuinely very happy to see a Leicester shirt. Whether we’re getting bigger or not is up for debate. But one thing that isn’t debatable is how loved we are by other football fans. There are some who wanted to laugh when we didn’t get CL, but there were many more who wanted to cheer us when we won the cup. 

57 minutes ago, Jakemoore said:

I wear my Leicester shirt all the time around my local area (north Kent/South East London). I get stopped all the time, and people are genuinely very happy to see a Leicester shirt. Whether we’re getting bigger or not is up for debate. But one thing that isn’t debatable is how loved we are by other football fans. There are some who wanted to laugh when we didn’t get CL, but there were many more who wanted to cheer us when we won the cup. 

Remember when they all laughed when Vichai told the Thai press he wanted us to be challenging for the top 5? They ain’t laughing now. I’ve not come across anyone trying to laugh because we didn’t make top 4, I’ll just chuck FA Cup winners back at them and point out that we aren’t one of those shitty clubs where top 4 is the be all and end all of their season and that winning trophies is what the game is about.

Edited by Vlad the Fox

9 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I remember back in the 90's when I played youth football, we would regularly play a team called NENs (North East Northants) from the Corby area. They would all rock up in their Fox Leisure Leicester City shirts.

Leicester have always had a good following in Corby.

I think we’ve generally speaking always been popular in Europe.

Over the last 20 years or so (pre COVID) I’ve been on about 100 city trips (rarely do beach hols) and wearing my colours on at least one day, have always been approached by locals saying they’ve seen us play on TV etc and like us. 

Back in 1997, I got interviewed by a Miss World type prior to the World Cup qualifier. Loads of lads walking around the centre but she came over to the Leicester shirt! I remember she asked me who was my favourite Italian player, I said none of them, but eventually had to agree to Del Piero because she liked him!

In 2000 in Madrid had several locals come over to shake hands mentioned the ‘97 matches and some stattos even ‘61.

Through the years, same story all over Italy, Spain, Germany etc. I believe we are liked because we are a “normal” team doing things the best we can even in the difficult times this century (2004-8) (2010-13). 

I think all teams outside the PL Big 5 are considered underdogs around Europe and therefore doing well is a good news event and puts smiles on people’s faces. 

I know when I can get away again, the FA Cup win will certainly be a topic of conversation and I can’t wait to wear my top again abroad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

It is nice to see City shirts out and about nowhere near Leicester, but there's something uncomfortable for me about knowing children are growing up as Leicester fans because of our success. 

I remember having the piss taken out of me for being a Leicester fan growing up. Granted I was never that bothered, I support the only club I was ever going to and I've always been proud of that, but it seems weird to me to imagine kids in Leicester shirts potentially doing the same thing to kids in other places up and down the country who support their local teams. 

I know it's good for the club commercially and it's an unavoidable by-product of success, but it still feels strange.

I don't think we're that level of success and adulation yet, wouldn't worry. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

It is nice to see City shirts out and about nowhere near Leicester, but there's something uncomfortable for me about knowing children are growing up as Leicester fans because of our success. 

I remember having the piss taken out of me for being a Leicester fan growing up. Granted I was never that bothered, I support the only club I was ever going to and I've always been proud of that, but it seems weird to me to imagine kids in Leicester shirts potentially doing the same thing to kids in other places up and down the country who support their local teams. 

I know it's good for the club commercially and it's an unavoidable by-product of success, but it still feels strange.

Cambridge is only an hour from Leicester, but I can report back that we still aren't massive here! There is another Dad in my son's football club who is a season ticket holder, but other than that, in 15 years of living here, I've come across 1 fan in a park once, 1 student in a pub (watching the Cardiff play-off game) and there was a flag up in a flat near the station a few years ago, but that is about it (not counting the pre-season friendly against Leicester a couple of years ago!) - and I do wear Leicester stuff quite a lot(!)

We are too near the pull of the London clubs & at kids' football training, as well as those shirts, and Cambridge, you are more likely to see European shirts like Barcelona, Real Madrid & Paris St Germain, which seems more the trendy team to support outside the established big English clubs.

But I'm not complaining... ajthefox has summed up my feelings. I like being the "only Leicester fan in the village" and for plenty of people, when they think of Leicester City, they think of me, and the better we do, the better it reflects on me! I don't want plastics encroaching on my territory and it would feel weird to see people support Leicester without a connection to the city. It just wouldn't be the same to meet a Leicester fan and get blank stares when I mention names such as Andy Lonergan and Frank Sinclair!

• Like 1

Yeah I can confirm that Leicester are yet to be seen as a big club in my rural part of England, and I still get a few sarky comments. But this is West Norfolk which is not really a hotbed of football. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Golden Fox said:

Cambridge is only an hour from Leicester, but I can report back that we still aren't massive here! There is another Dad in my son's football club who is a season ticket holder, but other than that, in 15 years of living here, I've come across 1 fan in a park once, 1 student in a pub (watching the Cardiff play-off game) and there was a flag up in a flat near the station a few years ago, but that is about it (not counting the pre-season friendly against Leicester a couple of years ago!) - and I do wear Leicester stuff quite a lot(!)

We are too near the pull of the London clubs & at kids' football training, as well as those shirts, and Cambridge, you are more likely to see European shirts like Barcelona, Real Madrid & Paris St Germain, which seems more the trendy team to support outside the established big English clubs.

But I'm not complaining... ajthefox has summed up my feelings. I like being the "only Leicester fan in the village" and for plenty of people, when they think of Leicester City, they think of me, and the better we do, the better it reflects on me! I don't want plastics encroaching on my territory and it would feel weird to see people support Leicester without a connection to the city. It just wouldn't be the same to meet a Leicester fan and get blank stares when I mention names such as Andy Lonergan and Frank Sinclair!

Is it so unusual that they wouldn't know a West Brom goalkeeper?

16 hours ago, Jakemoore said:

Whereabouts are you based? I can often be seen sporting various City tops around Welling, Bexleyheath and Eltham :schmike:

• Like 2