Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Croatia Vs Argentina - Tuesday 13th September - 19:00

3 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:
6 minutes ago, Koke said:

At this point only older generations who are nostalgia merchants who think Maradona or Pele are the greatest. Even if Messi doesn't win the WC he's still the GOAT.

So, anyone who is old enough to have seen Maradona is a ‘nostalgia merchant’. Anyone not old enough, won’t be able to have a true opinion on them/dismiss them regardless.

With that logic, in 30 years time, the next ‘GOAT’ will automatically become better than Messi

Well that's not what he said at all.

I'm old enough to remember Maradona, and if I have to rank them, I think Messi's better. Maradona did some phenomenal things; Messi's done a wider range of phenomenal things for longer.

But seriously, let's just enjoy good players whenever and wherever we have them. We don't have to compare them all the time!

• Like 1

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You've got to also take into account the fact that 30/40+ years ago defenders could constantly foul and practically assault the likes of Pele/Maradona and not even get booked. Messi wouldn't have been allowed to complete that run for the 3rd goal because he'd have been scythed down long before he got to the byline.

Heard the other day that the top 3 most fouled players in the World Cup history were 

1. Maradona 1986

2. Maradona 1990

2. Maradona 1982

4 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Anyone saying that Messi isn't the greatest ever is looking for attention.

10 La Ligas, 4 UCLs, 7 Balon d'Ors, 6 European golden shoes, a Copa America and probably a World Cup. All while having to share the stage with Ronaldo.

Coupled with more than 700 goals, 400 odd assists and 1000 games.

🐐

Can anyone who isn’t trolling or a Man U fan let me know if and why they think Ronaldo is better? 

Just now, Izzy said:

And that’s why it’s impossible to say who the GOAT is because you can’t compare generations. It’s fine to say Messi is the greatest of this generation but I think it’s pointless trying to prove who’s the best ever. Just too many variables.

Spot on.

Modern day footballers are extreme athletes way fitter,but boots,balls,pitches are far superior these days.Could you perform to that level on a mud heap or could Pele perform extreme skills on carpet like pitches.We will never know and that’s why I like to say a generation.

I will probably never see a player like Messi again in my lifetime.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

And let’s see Messi or Ronaldo do it on muddy pitches with heavy balls and defenders trying to break their legs. Works both ways.

I'd much rather defend on a flat pitch than a muddy one.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You've got to also take into account the fact that 30/40+ years ago defenders could constantly foul and practically assault the likes of Pele/Maradona and not even get booked. Messi wouldn't have been allowed to complete that run for the 3rd goal because he'd have been scythed down long before he got to the byline.

You mean like Maradona was for the goal against England in the 86 World Cup?

Some times great players just can't be caught.

2 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Still have massive admiration for Maradona even if I think Messi is the best ever. Close up of Maradona's goal v England show how shit the bobbing pitch was yet the control was outstanding.

I agree. Maradona was actually repeatedly assaulted on the pitch, yet his close control and dribling were sensational.

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Can anyone who isn’t trolling or a Man U fan let me know if and why they think Ronaldo is better? 

I’m firmly in the Messi camp, but Ronaldo was a phenomenon. Just an insane winner. His goals and trophies match up against Messi. As I say, I believe Messi to be comfortably the best, but if someone had a gun against my head and the only thing that could save my life would be a player of my choosing scoring a last minute penalty I’d probably plump for Ronaldo. He was a machine. 

Edited by RumbleFox

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Heard the other day that the top 3 most fouled players in the World Cup history were 

1. Maradona 1986

2. Maradona 1990

2. Maradona 1982

In 82 Maradona got so fed up with being kicked he took retribution into his own hands and got sent off himself against Brazil. Pele got kicked out the 66 tournament. Messi is the GOAT imo but that's because he is afforded the protection to be the GOAT.

5 minutes ago, Raj said:

Maradona the GOAT no contest look what he achieved at Napoli single handedly.

Messi 2nd.

Ronnie 3rd.

Pele maybe 4th.

I love that you can basically tell how old someone is by who they think the GOAT is.

For example, Raj is pretty ancient but he's not @Alf Bentley levels of decrepit (Alf was probably around for Pele's debut or something.)

Edited by Finnegan
  • Haha 3