Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Vardy and England

England’s most in-form striker Vardy symbolic of Leicester’s approach

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

A 2-1 win at Norwich City on Saturday made it 11 victories in 17 Premier League games for Leicester City. Nigel Pearson’s departure in the summer was supposed to bring an end to the Foxes’ fine form but, if anything, they have got even better under his successor Claudio Ranieri and deservedly find themselves in fifth place in the table, just three points behind leaders Manchester City.

Riyad Mahrez has rightly attracted many headlines in the opening weeks of the campaign, but his team-mate Jamie Vardy deserves at least as much praise as the mercurial Algerian. The former Stocksbridge Park Steels striker netted his seventh league strike of the season against Norwich, keeping him at the top of the scoring charts despite Sergio Aguero’s remarkable five-goal haul against Newcastle United.

Ranieri: Arsenal are built to win the Premier League

Vardy’s excellent performances in recent weeks meant it was no surprise when the 28-year-old was included in Roy Hodgson’s squad for England’s final two European Championship qualifiers with Estonia on Friday and Lithuania.

More than just a No.9 who puts the ball in the back of the net, Vardy is symbolic of Leicester’s exciting brand of football.

In both last season’s run-in and their start to the current campaign, the Foxes’ success has been built on a high-tempo, energetic style of play. They have averaged just 46 percent possession so far this term – only Newcastle United and West Bromwich Albion have averaged less in the Premier League this season– and instead focus on transitioning quickly and hitting teams on the break when possession is turned over.

This approach is also evidenced by Leicester’s pass accuracy of 72 percent (the lowest in the division) and average pass length of 21 metres (the longest in the top flight), figures that demonstrate Ranieri’s side’s focus on playing longer, riskier passes in an attempt to spring forward at pace.

Vardy is essential to Leicester’s preferred way of playing the game. The 28-year-old is always on the move, seeking out space to exploit and using his speed to take advantage of any gaps that open up on the counter. He is also adept at running the channels and chasing down lost causes, with Vardy’s lateral movement making him difficult for opposing defenders to pick him up.

His all-action style is reflected in his individual statistics. Jeremain Lens and Roberto Firmino are the only forward players to have made more tackles than Vardy’s 12, while the only strikers who top his 28 aerial duels are Rudy Gestede, Christian Benteke, Troy Deeney, Graziano Pelle and Diafra Sakho – players who, unlike Vardy, are all over 6ft and famed for their heading ability.

As well as his off-the-ball contributions, Vardy’s finishing continues to improve. His shot accuracy of 59 percent is higher than the likes of Aguero, Benteke, Alexis Sanchez, Diego Costa and Theo Walcott, with many of his seven goals in 2015/16 expertly put away.

Given that England have already qualified for Euro 2016 and Wayne Rooney and Harry Kane are out of form, there is a chance that Vardy could be handed his second Three Lions start against either Estonia or Lithuania in the coming days.

Based on his form for Leicester at the start of the season, it would be no less than the Premier League’s leading goalscorer deserves.

Read more at http://www.squawka.com/news/englands-most-in-form-striker-vardy-symbolic-of-leicesters-approach/480373#uJjcOrXV90GqqZoY.99

I thought we passed quite a bit, i guess we're a lot more direct than other sides crazy to think we do the least passes in the prem. 

its because a large proportion of everyone's passes is centre back to centre back and we rarely, if ever do that any more. i cant remember the last time huth/morgan/kasper played a triangle of passes waiting for something to happen. then you watch teams like united or liverpool and think of the amount of times mingolet rolls the ball out to skrtel and he gives it to can and he gives it him back and he gives it him back again and he gives it to mignolet. five or six passes there when we'd just play one, kasper to vardy down the wing and we're in behind and gonna score. they're back where they started. 

I thought we passed quite a bit, i guess we're a lot more direct than other sides crazy to think we do the least passes in the prem. 

we do but most sides think they are coping Barca by passing pointlessly between CB's and the DM for 20 passes each game

Horse shit.

Yes not lazy by any means but there are plenty who work a heck of a lot harder.

Who? Other than Vardy, Ings, Sanchez I can't think of any who work harder. Kane has been leading the line on his own all season. I thought he worked exceptionally hard when spurs came here. He's anything but lazy.

Who? Other than Vardy, Ings, Sanchez I can't think of any who work harder. Kane has been leading the line on his own all season. I thought he worked exceptionally hard when spurs came here. He's anything but lazy.

Kane isn't lazy now, but when he was on loan here, he was exceptionally lazy, barely ever closed down defenders or got above a slow jog. Makes the effort he puts in for Spurs more galling, given that he couldn't be arsed here.

To play in the current England set-up? Yes, absolutely.

To take us to semi-finals and finals? No. But very, very few players could as they've proved since 1996.

How many genuinely thought that side in 90 was good enough.

Sum of its parts due to being a team.

I guess the people who voting are anti midlanders. 

A few people mentioned on social media that they reckoned in the San Marino game, the team failed to give many passes to Vardy. They kept looking for Rooney, even if Vardy was in a better position. 

Rooney may have scored 50 goals but If you look at the amount of caps he's had, you could think he should have done a lot better. Come a major tournament he's very average.

This is one of the main reasons England will never win anything.

As soon as a player outside the top 4 clubs is picked to play for England the media is on their back. No wonder so few England managers player form players from outside Manchester, Liverpool or London.

Scored more goals than all other contenders combines this season, offers something completely different and something no matter how good a side it is difficult to defend against, he also has passion and a will to win.

But hey let's have a national poll of moronic Mirror readers to decide if he is good enough.

I personally would play him up top with Rooney in behind, with two quick wingers similar to how we play.

Soak up pressure against the likes of Germany and Spain and hit them quickly on the break, I think this is our best chance of making progress in The summer.

Is he an household name? No.

Is he good enough to play for England? On current form Yes.

Vardy is on fire at the minute and if played correctly can be a great asset for England. You look at England players and we have a lot of speed in there, we should be playing a lot more counter attacking than we do and if so will work great in Vardys favour

Archived