Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lee Monty

Gray ??

I think there's been a massive improvement in Gray this season, his decision making has improved and as others have said the way he links with Chilwell and Maddison has at times been very good, I think we have looked dangerous down our left side a lot of the time.

He does sometimes start well and drift out of games which is frustrating, but we are a quarter of the way though the season and despite missing a few games through injury he has scored 2 goals and had an assist, if he carries on at this rate and gets around 10 goals plus a few assists, which he is more than capable of, then I think that would represent a very good season for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

For me he's just not good enough for the Premier League. You've either got to be a winger and beat the man, getting killer crosses in, or a left or right sides attacking midfielder/forward that comes inside and gets assists and goals in decent numbers. He may drop to a lower league, tear it up and be back but for us I'd move him on, he's had his chance

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

For me he's just not good enough for the Premier League. You've either got to be a winger and beat the man, getting killer crosses in, or a left or right sides attacking midfielder/forward that comes inside and gets assists and goals in decent numbers. He may drop to a lower league, tear it up and be back but for us I'd move him on, he's had his chance

I too think he is not good enough - he has had a couple of seasons but shows no progress.  It is clear that there is no point in a delayed cross  as we have no centre forward to head it home (although his poor left foot prevents this anyway) and yet his  "ball hogg" mentality prevents the early balls in.  He could have sorted all this out which a bit of personal coaching - using vids to sort out his decision making etc

he hasn't bothered - why should we?

He is one of the most frustrating players to watch, he doesn't get goals or assist, he needs to be less selfish. So many times he chooses to shoot over passing, someone needs to sit him down and say it's not about him it's about the team winning. Saying that he has been better this season but I don't think he suits the system. Back to a 4-4-2 and gray on the wing he will improve otherwise carry on playing current system it's going to be same old frustrating gray!

He keeps on trying to play like we are Barcelona and not Leicester, and it's not working instead of crossing or shooting he will do a couple stepovers and by the time he's done he has lost it

he is good but someone needs to mentor him if he is going to improve

Edited by H.a.r.r.y

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Got a lot of time for Gray, he's still a long way from being lethal at this level but he's got the ability to improve. He's the least of our worries.

It is a little bizarre.

Gray, clearly puts in the effort but is accused of being greedy and making bad decisions, Iheanacho, demeanour suggests he doesn't care, often accused of a lack of effort. Both? bin according to some, so the only player to keep is one who puts in 100% all of the time and always makes the right decision. Step forward Lionel, we've been waiting for you.

I'm with you, I think the criticism of Gray is overly harsh. I do believe the criticisms levelled at Iheanacho are more justified though. Both will improve but I think Gray is a better bet long term.

Edited by Max Wall
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Wall said:

It is a little bizarre.

Gray, clearly puts in the effort but is accused of being greedy and making bad decisions, Iheanacho, demeanour suggests he doesn't care, often accused of a lack of effort. Both? bin according to some, so the only player to keep is one who puts in 100% all of the time and always makes the right decision. Step forward Lionel, we've been waiting for you.

I'm with you, I think the criticism of Gray is overly harsh. I do believe the criticisms levelled at Iheanacho are more justified though. Both will improve but I think Gray is a better bet long term.

I'll try not to criticise your analysis but it's all wrong.

Iheanacho had a tremendous pre-season but got dropped. He gets bit parts and when he is on is played as a lone striker. A lone striker needs decent attacking midfielders to support which we haven't got, why? Because one of them is Gray who is totally ineffective. It's often said by strikers that if there is no supply it's difficult to make the runs, maybe he just doesn't believe in the system he's playing. When you see Nachos goals they're always pin point, he knows where the goal is, but he needs chances. If you think he's going to come deep, receive the ball and take it past 3 players you've got the wrong player, but if you supply him with a chance he'll very likely finish. I know he missed one on one at Fulham but the lads confidence is clearly shot. As for Gray he's had many chances and just isn't producing anything. I'd rather have nacho in the side with a decent attacking midfielder the another striker with Gray supplying the chances.

• Like 1

He’s a fish out of water when asked to be a lone striker. I thought he was one of our best players in the first half, can’t blame him for underperforming in a foreign position. 

I seem to remember the same issues for Nathan Redmond, was it Puel who tried to play him upfront? This also was a massive fail, if so he’s not learnt from it 

41 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I'll try not to criticise your analysis but it's all wrong.

Iheanacho had a tremendous pre-season but got dropped. He gets bit parts and when he is on is played as a lone striker. A lone striker needs decent attacking midfielders to support which we haven't got, why? Because one of them is Gray who is totally ineffective. It's often said by strikers that if there is no supply it's difficult to make the runs, maybe he just doesn't believe in the system he's playing. When you see Nachos goals they're always pin point, he knows where the goal is, but he needs chances. If you think he's going to come deep, receive the ball and take it past 3 players you've got the wrong player, but if you supply him with a chance he'll very likely finish. I know he missed one on one at Fulham but the lads confidence is clearly shot. As for Gray he's had many chances and just isn't producing anything. I'd rather have nacho in the side with a decent attacking midfielder the another striker with Gray supplying the chances.

That's over simplistic and harsh in the extreme on Gray.

Iheanacho has been thrust into the lone striker role by the injury to Vardy. If he was only getting bit parts before, this run in the team should have been his chance. I don't dispute there's been a lack of creativity behind him but it's down to him to keep trying something slightly different if it isn't happening during a game. He doesn't really do that and appears easily dissuaded. By that, I don't expect him to come deep and beat three players, I'm not sure who does or why you would use that as an example.

I do appreciate that he's low on confidence and he may well take good chances when they're supplied to him but a modern strikers game has to be about more than just that (unless they are getting a plethora of chances every game, which our strikers don't).

i can see your side of the argument on who you'd rather keep as Gray still has a fair way to go, I just don't agree with it. If I was told we were getting a replacement in and offloading one of them, I'd offload Iheanacho at this point. I'd just rather have a player that kept trying things than one who appears not to.