Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

Kasper Schmeichel...

Guest ttfn

Today was a textbook example of why so many of his kicks go out of play. The percentage ball is always to the touch line. If you overhit it, worst case scenario is a throw in 40 yards from goal to the opposition. Even if you underhit it it’s far harder to score than from where Watford got possession today.

Everybody moans about it, but he does it for a good reason.

1 minute ago, ttfn said:

Today was a textbook example of why so many of his kicks go out of play. The percentage ball is always to the touch line. If you overhit it, worst case scenario is a throw in 40 yards from goal to the opposition. Even if you underhit it it’s far harder to score than from where Watford got possession today.

Everybody moans about it, but he does it for a good reason.

I may be chatting absolute crap, but I’m pretty sure that, statistically, your chances of winning the ball back from an opposition throw-in are also relatively high.

31 minutes ago, Captain... said:

It is baffling how many times one of his kicks leads to a really good chance for the opposition and he doesn’t learn. I love Kasper but he needs to improve his decision making. You can’t play a high risk ball in your own half. If in doubt go for a hoof to Vardy.

Sometimes he does things at 100 miles and hour and I get he is trying to release us for an attack but away from home in the 90th minute you need to be smarter than that. 

He is an exceptional shot stopper but a little more composure in his kicking and distribution would help us massively. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sm1 said:

I'm not sure what training Stowell does with him but he seems over weight. Way too comfortable in his position.  Need to give Ward a chance so we can see what we spent 12M on. 

From what I hear, Mike Stowell does pretty much whatever Kasper tells him to...probably the main reason why Kasper is so comfortable in his position.  

Im not sure if KS deserves to be dropped, but will be interesting to see whether Rogers actually has the balls to do it if the need arises as that would be a very big statement to the dressing room (...& Kaspers dad!)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, blaaklint said:

I may be chatting absolute crap, but I’m pretty sure that, statistically, your chances of winning the ball back from an opposition throw-in are also relatively high.

Statistically yes, maybe because of the fact you’ve got one extra player on the pitch

1 minute ago, Ricey said:

I like that people are glossing over the couple of vital saves he made today, never mind the crucial saves he made on Tuesday.

Yea it was a bad kick, but dropping him would be incredibly counterproductive this early on in Rodgers’ reign.

Not glossed over. It’s just that a modern keeper can’t rely on saves alone.... 

I was a brilliant shot stopper growing up but I was one of those ***** who got the CB to take goal kicks for him lollol 

Its genuinely getting to the stage where I’d consider letting Maguire kick out lol and that’s not right....

6 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I like that people are glossing over the couple of vital saves he made today, never mind the crucial saves he made on Tuesday.

Yea it was a bad kick, but dropping him would be incredibly counterproductive this early on in Rodgers’ reign.

Also... there’s plenty of good shot stoppers in the league who can kick as well. We played against one of the best today! 

A new scapegoat now Puel's been harangued out? We've been watching him play for us 7 years now lads, we know he's quality - that save early on today testament.

Yup he messed that kick up, yup we should've pushed up from the freekick a minute earlier, yup Wes should've been more alive, yup it's cost us a point. Move on, if it's a running theme then we have a problem, let the lads at least try and bounce back from this set-back under a new manager

Edited by Jaspa
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, brucey said:

In one of his really old interviews, he said that kicking was his weakest aspect when growing up.

I wish he’d hurry up and grow up then! In all seriousness it’s about time Ward had a chance, no player should continue to play despite poor form.

Fair play to Morgan having a go at him moments after their winning goal, it shows good courage despite playing for the same team.

It seems as if Schmeichel doesn't like taking criticism to heart, and can blame others for his own mishaps at times.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Keeper is decent at best. He's nowhere a top 4 Keeper.

He doesn't command his area and never has.

How many goals have we conceded in and around the 6 yard box. Too many.

Could he have punched the ball away today for the first.

He never claims a ball from corners preferring to leave it to others to clear the danger.

He dives early for penalties instead of waiting to see what the kicker actually does.

When is the last time he dived at someone's feet to save the day.

It's time with little to play for now to see if Ward can step up and seize his chance.

His weakness has always been his inability to come out for balls crossed in and his, quite frankly stupid 'throw it to the side of me and volley it in a side ways motion' distribution. I wish he would just keep it simple! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AjcW said:

Also... there’s plenty of good shot stoppers in the league who can kick as well. We played against one of the best today! 

Agreed and compared to other positions on the pitch his is more replaceable. Apart from shot stopping he offers little else. Why is he still so poor at crosses and commanding his area, why is his distribution poor?  What does he do with Stowell? I think he's far too comfortable and arrogant. If Rodgers needs to look at what he's got in his squad it's not unreasonable to give Ward a run out and Caspar should recognise this. If not, there's your problem, he's too big for his football boots and possibly has too much say and influence. 

I really think people need to stop having a go at Schmeichel yes he made a mistake yes distribution is not his strong suit but the amount of crucial saves he makes for us on a weekly basis shows how good he is. I agree if he was out of form he should be dropped but I don’t think he is today and at Brighton he made good saves that kept us in the game. He really is a top goalkeeper and doesn’t deserve as much criticism as he is getting.

Personally I’ve never liked the bloke, I’ve always found him to be quite rude in person (just a personal opinion) so I couldn’t care less if we replace him, but he has been a fantastic player on the pitch and made some massive saves, all Goalkeepers will make mistakes but I think he would be the easiest player to replace in the team, too many good goalkeepers about not getting a game.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lcfcbluearmy said:

I really think people need to stop having a go at Schmeichel yes he made a mistake yes distribution is not his strong suit but the amount of crucial saves he makes for us on a weekly basis shows how good he is. I agree if he was out of form he should be dropped but I don’t think he is today and at Brighton he made good saves that kept us in the game. He really is a top goalkeeper and doesn’t deserve as much criticism as he is getting.

Is it that good though???

Saves

image.png.df4874c77b619878a61e5599ffa61c0e.png

3 hours ago, AjcW said:

Not glossed over. It’s just that a modern keeper can’t rely on saves alone..

A modern keeper can just be a goal keeper. You don’t need Ederson or Alison or Lloris. Kasper can kick the ball quite far with relative accuracy, and plays it out short well enough. It’s those brain fart moments when he tries to pass it to the midfield. Especially when the CBs have split and the full backs pushed on. Even if it is a 90% chance of keeping possession that means one in 10 will lead to great chance of scoring.

I would rather see him pump it at Chilwell’s head, he misses it goes out for a throw in. If he tries to pick out Ndidi or Mendy in the middle they are not the best at keeping them ball under pressure anyway it’s just asking for trouble.

7 hours ago, Ricey said:

THIS.

The two superb saves he made against Brighton, which WON us the match, have quickly been forgotten.

Of course their winning goal was his fault and I'm certain Kasper would be the first to hold his hands up, but if you take this match and the Brighton match, we've gained three points instead of one.

• Like 2