Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

I'm surprised by the appointment and I think it's very difficult to predict how it will turn out.

I feel there's as much chance of them finishing comfortably in the top 4 as there is imploding further. 

Sky will be over the moon though that's for sure. JoSE Iz BuX OrFiCE

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 1

Good news is Spurs still have to play Chelsea twice, Man Utd twice, and Arsenal at home. Jose will want to get points off these teams. I'm glad we have already played them and wont play them again until 9th May.

We are currently 12 points ahead of them. If they finish above us then this a monumental **** up by us.

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Koke said:

Good news is Spurs still have to play Chelsea twice, Man Utd twice, and Arsenal at home. Jose will want to get points off these teams. I'm glad we have already played them and wont play them again until 9th May.

We are currently 12 points ahead of them. If they finish above us then this a monumental **** up by us.

Even better news is if Chelsea lose to Spurs and City in the coming weeks, there's a six point gap between us and Chelsea. 

• Like 1

Is it me or am I the only one that thinks that Mourinho is a busted flush in the PL? Sure the brand will get a lift but will the football?

Edited by Steven
  • Like 3

I can’t understand the three and half yr contract? I thought Levy was a shrewd businessman.

Has he not recognised the typical Mourinho pattern:

Come in

Do well first season

Then start moaning about lack of dosh

Then publicly slate the players 

Then piss them em all off

Then leave at end of yr 2 stating he’s the best manager ever and it’s never his fault

Personally I’d have given him two years max

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterborofox said:

Would have been more happy if they kept Poch just because it would mean less chance them getting near us. Mourinho could do really well and get them up the table.

He'll demand money to spend which is what Poch neve got though

Even if he's given money, he'll struggle to use it effectively in the winter transfer window.

I'm not necessarily surprised they've sacked Pochettino although I thought they'd wait until the end of the season. I am surprised they've gone for Mourinho though.

Interesting to see what he does with this squad, an already disgruntled squad who are known bottlers, doesn't have unlimited money to spend on transfers and wages. Tottenham are still a threat if Mourinho can get his mojo back.

12 hours ago, Raw Dykes said:

Besides, it would cost Levy, and I can't see him wanting Spurs to play like Wolves do.

When Nuno managed Valencia and Porto he almost solely used 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. This three at the back formation with us is the first time he has used it anywhere on a regular basis.

As for Spurs, I can't see Mourinho being a success personally. Certainly not in the long term. For the first 6-12 months he can't do much worse than Pochettino's last 30-odd games. From the point we beat Spurs last December Poch's record is:

P31 W11 D7 L13

Levy/Mourinho seems like a mismatch in ethos, but maybe he's had guarantees of some funds. I could see him trying to get someone like Ibrahimovic on a free, then selling Kane for extra money. 

Edited by The Bear

8 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I can’t understand the three and half yr contract? I thought Levy was a shrewd businessman.

Has he not recognised the typical Mourinho pattern:

Come in

Do well first season

Then start moaning about lack of dosh

Then publicly slate the players 

Then piss them em all off

Then leave at end of yr 2 stating he’s the best manager ever and it’s never his fault

Personally I’d have given him two years max

Levy probably just saved 150m plus on losing Ericksen and the defender from running down Contract 

he is shrewd

3 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Levy probably just saved 150m plus on losing Ericksen and the defender from running down Contract 

he is shrewd

I believe the beef with the players like Rose , Alderweireld and Eriksen is with Levy and the players’ agent rather than the manager ( although Pochettino has clearly lost the dressing room). I’m not sure appointing JM changes anything there . They will all be much better off running their contracts done and getting a massive signing on fee in 6 months time .

Their crap performances of late have reduced their marketability a bit but not fatally 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koke said:

Not necessarily, there’s 26 games left. They took 60 points from the first 26 games last season, if they do the same again in the last 26 games of this season we will struggle to finish above them.

Obviously unlikely they will do that but not impossible by any stretch.

With that squad, he sorts out the 3 or 4 that want to leave and gets the defence he wants, can see them having a very strong second half of the season. Their new access to jorge Mendes players will help them and they dont need to really back him massively going forward but sort out a defence that doesn't want to be there. Hope it explodes in their face but can definitely see the benefits of getting him in. Wont be as spursy under jose you would have thought

Great appointment for Spurs but crazy that he has gone there really, it is amazing how much his stock has fallen.

The thing is with Jose is that he works best when he can create an underdog narrative to deliver wins. At clubs with resources but in the next tier down (Inter, Chelsea) this works perfectly as they are happy to win stuff and mix it with the top tier. The problem is that it doesn't work at clubs like Manchester United and Madrid because the whole attitude of the club is not just about winning but about dominating and Mourinho is way too pragmatic to deliver that - how he wins is not important to him, he just wants to win. 

I can't see him getting loads to spend so he must be fairly confident he can work with what he has - I would expect them to look at bringing in a bit more steel in midfield which they have needed for a while and probably try and sort the full backs out. If he makes them more solid and lets Kane take his 15 shots a game they will be fine. A Jose managed team with a striker like Kane who can get 20-30 league goals a season are very dangerous.