38 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Absolutely agree with you re Iheanacho etc, what a revelation he's been. Whatever the choice, even the 3, I just sincerely hope it goes well. 

We shouldn’t put lipstick on a pig though .....kel and vards were toilet last Sunday until v late on when kel woke up ..... Brendan was pretty cross about kel’s poor touch which led to their third ....vards was anonymous 

41 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

It’s not quite as black and white as you portray it to be.

You set up a formation that amplifies your assets. At the moment, Kalechi is producing those goods, and it is obvious he has to play with a partner. Vardy is occupying the CB, so Kalechi can fill the gaps, and get into the positions where he is strongest, 6 yards out with a sight of goal. 

Our threat from the flanks tends to come from the full backs, so naturally Timmeh and Riccy can play these positions. The back three in the last two games has been weakened significantly due to not having Cags as part of that back three. 

The last two games we’ve looked poor, but I’d say that’s more to do with not having Cags available, and not the fact we’re playing a back three. There’s more to those performances that the formation. 

The difficulty is Kelch, he simply has to play, but his best work has come with Vardy as a team mate... so it ties Rodgers hands in a way. We will be starting with a back three, unless we play the diamond we did against Villa last season, now Madders is back.

I totally agree with your point about personnel, With 3 at the back, when we get caught with our wing backs out of position, Soyuncu's pace has saved us plenty of times, we've missed him. 

There's also an excellent feature about the West ham game from Dominic Wells on twitter with diagrams and analysis showing how much we missed a number 10 with Praet dropping too deep.

So hopefully with Soyuncu and Maddison or Perez we will be better with that formation looking more like the Man U game.

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We shouldn’t put lipstick on a pig though .....kel and vards were toilet last Sunday until v late on when kel woke up ..... Brendan was pretty cross about kel’s poor touch which led to their third ....vards was anonymous 

Then when he decided to set us up to attack, Kel came alive and did what he does best 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You mentioned the only two good performances we've had with it and one of those played like Burton Albion. Be honest and ask yourself how many of the other matches should we have been 2 or 3 goals down by halftime only to miraculously recover some kind of form when things got changed in the second half. Yes, the pure statistics of the table doesn't lie but it doesn't tell the full story of poor mind numbing performances and a great deal of fortune.

That is just not true mate, why lie? Man City 2 Leicester City 5, Leicester 4 Leeds 1. there's another 2 straight of the top of my head, (im sure there's plenty more If I could be bothered too research)

Mind numbing performances? If you want mind numbing you should try reading your own posts once in a while!!!

cheer up man for gods sake. The sun is shining the pub (gardens) are open for the first time in months and leicester are at Wembley. 

Up the city!!! 

7 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

You make a good point re Armarty who in fairness, despite all the criticism he gets does well for me, particularly when pushed out on an unfamiliar left of 3. On that day I would have had an extra more mobile midfielder instead. Soyuncu should make the difference and I very much want you to be right.

Just realised that the three played together in another fixture— sheff u ...

• 2 weeks later...

Always felt the scheduled time out was ambitious for a knee injury. Hopefully able to rest now rather than trying to get back this season, and come back pre-season ready to go. I worry for someone like Barnes who relies on his running ability when it comes to recovery from knee injuries. 

• Like 2

To be honest it looked a bad injury at the time, and the ‘six weeks’ prognosis always sounded a tad optimistic.

Still, his replacement hasn’t been too shabby...

Barnes has been absolutely immense so it's a big blow.

At least BR will have some clarity now and 3 CB's will be a no brainer without Barnes and the formation for the rest of the season is a given.

Can you imagine the state we'd have been in under previous management/recruitment with this seasons injuries!! Just shows how well we've done buying players that can play in several positions.

On another note, fortunate for the likes of JJ, Madders and Barnes that the World Cup is essentially straight after the Euros rather than the usual gap (granted it's in winter not summer) as it probably increases their chances of slotting back in. There's every chance they could have been lost of Southgate had the time to bring through the latest even younger talents than those three, before Qatar. 

I'm not saying it's a good thing but having seen the likes of Ricardo attempt to make a comeback in the midst of a fixture congested season has been fairly gutting. 

Barnes can now ramp up his recovery through the course of pre-season rather than trying to get fit and over-try (Maddison anyone?)

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, turlo said:

Real shame as would've been a great impact sub for the remaining games . Also limits our options to go back to 4 2 3 1 formation if needed

Absolutely

Leaves us as we are or going 4-2-1-3 when chasing with:

Castagne Evans Soy Thomas

Tielemans Ndidi 

Madders

Perez Nacho Vardy

(which I guess is 433 or 4123)

Edited by Nick
  • Like 1

It sure is a shame but at least we won’t be rushing him back when he isn’t 100%. Also at least now we can plan accordingly for the rest of the season. Hopefully he comes back strong in pre season.