Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

8 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of him? He may go to another club & fulfil his potential & then everybody will be saying we should have kept him.

As long as he is not causing problems behind the scenes ( no evidence of that as far as I'm aware) then keep him, he is a good squad member. For some reason everyone seems to be on his back, perhaps if he got some encouragement from the crowd it may help him. There is no doubting that he has more ability than certain other members of our squad, but people think they are marvellous

Because he's entering his final year of his contract here. If we don't choose to sell him, we won't get money for him, so what's the point if he plays as little as this season?

10 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

Why does everyone want to get rid of him? He may go to another club & fulfil his potential & then everybody will be saying we should have kept him.

As long as he is not causing problems behind the scenes ( no evidence of that as far as I'm aware) then keep him, he is a good squad member. For some reason everyone seems to be on his back, perhaps if he got some encouragement from the crowd it may help him. There is no doubting that he has more ability than certain other members of our squad, but people think they are marvellous

He's played under 4 different managers here and not made the breakthrough. If he doesn't play regularly he's not going to improve. Best for all parties that he moves on.

12 minutes ago, Angus Scott said:

We don't need the money & after the virus there is no telling that we would get a decent price anyway. Plenty of other players with only 1 year left so are we going to get rid of them too

Depends if they have a decent market value and if they’ll be worthy of a squad place next season. Keeping Gray because he ‘might’ fulfil his potential elsewhere would be a poor reason. 

Agree about the price in the current climate though, who knows what the future holds. 

The bottom line is that Demarai Gray has not improved as a player over the last 4 years, he has been given the chance to shine on many occasions and not took them really!! Championship player at best!  

2 hours ago, W88DY said:

The bottom line is that Demarai Gray has not improved as a player over the last 4 years, he has been given the chance to shine on many occasions and not took them really!! Championship player at best!  

Exactly this. We've been waiting 4 years for him to fulfil his potential, every season we've waited for the step up and very little has happened unfortunately. 

A succession of managers have tried but to no avail. The lad undoubtedly has talent but is so inconsistent, the next level alludes him. 

If we received a decent offer I'd sell. 

• Like 1

Watched Harvey Barnes at Fleetwood in the cup  a few years back and thought he was out of his depth. Went on loan to Mk Don's ,Barnsley and West Brom and now a regular starter for us perhaps this is what Gray needed to do.I find gray frustrating got some magic at times but a lazy player also.15mill will be about right sort of money so I would let him go.

1 hour ago, AshbyBlue said:

Watched Harvey Barnes at Fleetwood in the cup  a few years back and thought he was out of his depth. Went on loan to Mk Don's ,Barnsley and West Brom and now a regular starter for us perhaps this is what Gray needed to do.I find gray frustrating got some magic at times but a lazy player also.15mill will be about right sort of money so I would let him go.

Maybe a loan in the championship is exactly what was needed a year or two ago, that's a good point

I think when Gray came to us, you could see the talent when he would take a man on and generally use his pace muddled with a little trickery to beat a man, and then would either shoot or pass to someone in a better position. 

When Mahrez left, a lot of us thought that Gray would soften that blow, but I think Gray has tried to change his game to give us what Mahrez had. He prioritised skill over pace which is not his most valuable asset. So many times he slows the play down, in trying to show off his flamboyance.

Even this season, he has looked good at moments where he does things quickly with that run in behind and goal against West ham or the one two with Vardy against Palace which resulted in a goal. Simple football but really effective. 

39 minutes ago, shailen said:

I think when Gray came to us, you could see the talent when he would take a man on and generally use his pace muddled with a little trickery to beat a man, and then would either shoot or pass to someone in a better position. 

When Mahrez left, a lot of us thought that Gray would soften that blow, but I think Gray has tried to change his game to give us what Mahrez had. He prioritised skill over pace which is not his most valuable asset. So many times he slows the play down, in trying to show off his flamboyance.

Even this season, he has looked good at moments where he does things quickly with that run in behind and goal against West ham or the one two with Vardy against Palace which resulted in a goal. Simple football but really effective. 

Good post. I think he’s a good player, but ultimately I’m not sure Brendan does, so that will be that. I think he gets some unnecessary stick on here. When you look back at a lot of our good play on highlights etc, I was surprised how much involvement Gray had in those moments. I personally would keep him, and give him more game time. Him and Barnes on either side of Vardy, hasn’t been tried enough imo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshbyBlue said:

It's certainly what we should have done.

He should never have spent that 6 months with us on the bench when we won the league. We should have bought him and then shipped him off to Birmingham for the rest of the season. The following season he should have spent it at a top Championship side.

15 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

Exactly this. We've been waiting 4 years for him to fulfil his potential, every season we've waited for the step up and very little has happened unfortunately. 

A succession of managers have tried but to no avail. The lad undoubtedly has talent but is so inconsistent, the next level alludes him. 

If we received a decent offer I'd sell. 

I couldn`t agree more !!

...watched him in the cup game against Birmingham and he started off ok!!

He was making some good runs but no one was looking to find him and he stopped making the runs and started to drifted out of the game. Now he has a decision to make, drop a little to help the midfield or hold position as instructed and hope someone can find him and put him in space.Well no one is finding him with any incisive passes or the opportunity to take a defender on, one on one was not happening. So what should he do!!!!

Well he could hold his position and change the way he plays, by playing one touch passes to the midfield and forwards and being on the move,  dragging defenders out of position. Attempting to get behind defenses using his technical abilities and quick feet. Basically changing the way he sees the game.

We have no idea how he has been coached, with kid gloves or the use of "the big stick". I don't think the previous coaching regimes were a "big stick" advocates and I suspect he has been nurtured, it has not helped him and repeating the same process will only bring the same results.

On 20/04/2020 at 20:22, Angus Scott said:

He might perform better at another club. He hasn't been a consistent performer for us.That's what counts.

If he performs well at another club so be it.Much rather that than not playing well with us.

If we got another player in who succeeds then happy days.

Edited by Blue ROI

He isnt intelligent enough full stop. He has raw pace and a small amount of skill, but no brain to deliver the final ball or make good decisions.

He can probably do a job Championship or Premier League relegation battle, that's the limit.

Just to put it into perspective the lad nearly got his head chopped off by a helicopter rotor!