Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

Simply not good enough. He has been ‘patchy’ since we bought him, and hardly shown any improvement in the four years he’s been here. Still makes the same mistakes of not passing, trying to do too much and shooting when a shot isn’t on. Granted he scored that goal at Cardiff which we will all appreciate, but the simple facts are he hasn’t had a consistent 90 minute display that I can recall since Derby in the cup replay 3yrs ago. He had a decent game against Brighton when Rodgers took over, but that’s it. Last night he was anonymous in a game against his old club! Sadly I don’t think he’s ever going to cut those mistakes out. Best for both parties to sell and move on. I hope he proves me wrong, but 9/10 times when he’s on the pitch, he proves me right!!

i think that weird commentary duo on facebook kinda summed it up last night. 

introduced him as an exciting winger who would be dangerous throughout the match. by half time they were unsure as to why he wasn't involved in the game more and they thought he'd had a "frustrating" first half. by the time he got subbed they were genuinely just shouting at him calling him a useless cu nt and questioning how it was that he has never made a right decision in his life. 

5 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

i think that weird commentary duo on facebook kinda summed it up last night. 

introduced him as an exciting winger who would be dangerous throughout the match. by half time they were unsure as to why he wasn't involved in the game more and they thought he'd had a "frustrating" first half. by the time he got subbed they were genuinely just shouting at him calling him a useless cu nt and questioning how it was that he has never made a right decision in his life. 

Thought the two commentators were horrendous if I’m honest. Not sure who they were but you could tell they’d seen very little of us this season and didn’t have the greatest knowledge of our players and their recent form. 

As for Gray. Really disappointing. Shitter than normal last night. Just looks so scared to run at players or make a mistake. Feel for him. 

• Like 1

He needs to go down to the championship or maybe even a top end league one club and get a full season under his belt at a level where he can play competitively well. He's just wasting away his career at this point.

Alas, time to go. I feel there’s no reason he couldn’t play like Barnes if he wanted to. He’s fast, has the ability to go by people, but his schtick seems to be to want to cut inside and try and score the same goal that he scored against us before we signed him. He seems content to coast. If he was hungrier I feel he would have pushed his way into the starting eleven by now. 

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

As a backup winger he’s alright. If we sell we’ll need to buy another backup winger (and a first team winger).

He gets a lot of hate for someone who plays so little.

I have the feeling if we sell, he’ll go somewhere, something will click and he’ll realise all his potential. Doesn’t seem to be happening here.

If we don't sell, he will simply leave the following year on a free, following Silva and Slim.  Nearly £60m worth there plus wages leaving for nothing 

If we can sell Musa and Schlupp, we can sell Gray and it needs to happen in the summer.

I think he’s rock bottom in confidence and lack of playing time which compounds his erratic decision making in the final third.

He needs game time to build up any chance of consistency, but he simply doesn’t help us when does play (apart from a couple of games around December where he looked lively) and we are not in a position in the league to let him have the time/experience to build up. 

Had we been in mid table, I think we’d ought to give him a big run out to definitely be sure before making a decision, however with Champions League on the line we simply can’t afford it. Such a shame as it’s evident he has potential; can absolutely see someone like Watford signing him and Gray scoring against us next season mind you! 

Demarai Gay, you should have stayed at home yesterday
We got your message on the radio, conditions normal and you're coming home
These games you play, they're gonna end in more than tears someday
Demarai Gay, it shouldn't ever have to end this way

• Haha 1

Unfortunately he isn't going to make it here.

Matt Piper echoed the sentiments I've been outlining for ages - his workrate and attitude towards development is the issue. Piper pointed out that Harvey Barnes has been taking on extra hours in the gym to bulk up his upper body and improve his strength on the ball; this reaped dividends last night, he was shrugging players off for fun. 

Piper pointed out that it was difficult to imagine Gray doing this and, to be honest, have we even seen any developments like this from him? 

I'm sure he's a nice guy and good around the club but at the level we need to be playing we need the 'above and beyonders' rather than those who are content. 

£25 million from Bournemouth looked outrageous. 

I felt really bad for him last night, he ws trying his hardest. But, sadly, his lack of development means that the game has passed him by in recent years. 

Was worth the risk, £3m or whatever it was seems nothing for a player who had some potential, but never really worked for him here, and if we are challenging european football and top 5/6 finishes he's simply not going to be good enough.

Someone like a Palace/Bournmouth/Brigton he could be useful for, or reinvent himself in the Scottish leagues, either way unless we let him leave for free, there should be some profit in him

4 hours ago, Foxxed said:

As a backup winger he’s alright. If we sell we’ll need to buy another backup winger (and a first team winger).

He gets a lot of hate for someone who plays so little.

I have the feeling if we sell, he’ll go somewhere, something will click and he’ll realise all his potential. Doesn’t seem to be happening here.

That’s the point I’m making really. He is a back up winger. Right now our starting ‘winger’(s) isn’t performing, so I’d play Gray.

6 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I think he’s rock bottom in confidence and lack of playing time which compounds his erratic decision making in the final third.

He needs game time to build up any chance of consistency, but he simply doesn’t help us when does play (apart from a couple of games around December where he looked lively) and we are not in a position in the league to let him have the time/experience to build up. 

Had we been in mid table, I think we’d ought to give him a big run out to definitely be sure before making a decision, however with Champions League on the line we simply can’t afford it. Such a shame as it’s evident he has potential; can absolutely see someone like Watford signing him and Gray scoring against us next season mind you! 

Its hard to believe,why he doesn't just Keep Running at players..lose the ball then try again...

Rodgers..should give him a First half, of no hands tied,attack Drive forward...

If he doesnt or hasnt been encouraged...its his career on the line,he should say f**k it  do it from and for  himself......!!

Maybe we should stop scouting these players by ticking the usual boxes, ie fast, direct, strong

Maybe we should go for 'BRAIN' initially and work our way down. 

Unfortunately it has been evident from very early, like with all players, you cannot force teach football. 

I know it's blasphemy in some quarters but I'm sorry, Barnes and chillwell are similar to gray. Hoping hard work will get them further for us than gray. 

I was disappointed with his ball control yesterday. More than once he'd receive the ball at his feet but his first touch would send the ball straight upwards to around head height. He then had to control it again. Well below the standard needed in the Premier League.

• Like 1

Listening to Matt piper he was saying how barnes is working on his upper body strength so he can deal with defenders... how this is showing up in his performances.  He talked about barnes will to continuously improve....

...in contrast with grey.

I agree with piper... grey needs a run of games... and hes not going to get that at leicester so needs a move.

More worryingly... he doesn't have the will to improve himself