Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

I like Rob Tanned, but he said recently that he would give Gray another contract. I disagree. I think it would be beneficial to both parties if he left this summer. He needs game time, we need an effective winger. 

• Like 2

He's 23 with such a bright future, though for me, not with us anymore.

I think, as most sensible people agree, he is a talented player.

It's simple, the club's ambitions and aspirations have outgrown him.

If we were currently positioned on 38 points and aiming for mid-table comfort or were in the Championship top 6, which is not that long ago to where we are now, then he's the perfect fit. Top 4 gunning for Champo's league, he isn't.

That's not his fault, so he really doesn't deserve all the nastiness shown on here towards him, it's just bullying now. 

At 3.2 mill, he's more than earned his fee and wages during his time with us.

I'd like to see him go to a club that represents his level and kick on from there. 

• Like 4

For me he needs to drop to the championship or maybe go abroad to progress in his career, he’s really stagnated and whilst he shows moments of promise he just can’t display levels of consistency. Which mind you is difficult when you aren’t starting but that is in turn his own doing.

On 07/03/2020 at 07:36, Tanya said:

I like Rob Tanned, but he said recently that he would give Gray another contract. I disagree. I think it would be beneficial to both parties if he left this summer. He needs game time, we need an effective winger. 

I agree.

It screams volumes that we're crying out for a natural winger and yet he doesn't get a game. I doubt Rodgers rates him either given all he got was an appearance in a cup game against his old side and got hauled off (rightly so) halfway through 2nd half.

On 07/03/2020 at 08:39, Danny Clender said:

He's 23 with such a bright future, though for me, not with us anymore.

I think, as most sensible people agree, he is a talented player.

It's simple, the club's ambitions and aspirations have outgrown him.

If we were currently positioned on 38 points and aiming for mid-table comfort or were in the Championship top 6, which is not that long ago to where we are now, then he's the perfect fit. Top 4 gunning for Champo's league, he isn't.

That's not his fault, so he really doesn't deserve all the nastiness shown on here towards him, it's just bullying now. 

At 3.2 mill, he's more than earned his fee and wages during his time with us.

I'd like to see him go to a club that represents his level and kick on from there. 

I've defended Gray to the hilt on here for all but the last 12 to 18 months as he has a lot of tools to become a top player.

He'll be 24 in June and the "young and developing player" credit has now run dry. He has had all the chances in the world to develop his game, he was a regular in the Championship for a season and a half as a teenager before moving to us. Surprisingly he has 124 PL appearances, the majority of them will be as sub I suspect but it shows he's always been in and around the starting XI but never grasped his chance in all that time. You have to say if he hasn't made a place his own after 200 league appearances and a few months away from his 24th birthday then he probably will never be the player we once hoped he would be.

Looking on his wiki page he has got 8 league goals in his last 2.5 seasons which I would imagine makes him at least average on goals per minute to most wingers. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I've defended Gray to the hilt on here for all but the last 12 to 18 months as he has a lot of tools to become a top player.

He'll be 24 in June and the "young and developing player" credit has now run dry. He has had all the chances in the world to develop his game, he was a regular in the Championship for a season and a half as a teenager before moving to us. Surprisingly he has 124 PL appearances, the majority of them will be as sub I suspect but it shows he's always been in and around the starting XI but never grasped his chance in all that time. You have to say if he hasn't made a place his own after 200 league appearances and a few months away from his 24th birthday then he probably will never be the player we once hoped he would be.

Looking on his wiki page he has got 8 league goals in his last 2.5 seasons which I would imagine makes him at least average on goals per minute to most wingers. 

Yes, and your post is a factual based assessment rather than a personal dagger.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens to him, but I reckon it's not going to be at any detriment to the club. 

On 05/03/2020 at 22:32, foxinsocks said:

Listening to Matt piper he was saying how barnes is working on his upper body strength so he can deal with defenders... how this is showing up in his performances.  He talked about barnes will to continuously improve....

...in contrast with grey.

I agree with piper... grey needs a run of games... and hes not going to get that at leicester so needs a move.

More worryingly... he doesn't have the will to improve himself 

Gray needs to work on his upper body too, his brain. 

2 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Gray needs to work on his upper body too, his brain. 

I posted somewhere else that we should not sign players without a growth mindset  (= a belief that can improve with effort) and the executive function (= self control and willpower)to persue improvement to the exclusion of siren temptations

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Rumour on Twitter Bournemouth and Palace are interested in Gray this summer. 18 million asking price. Too good to be true, surely....

Would celebrate this more than the end of lockdown 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Rumour on Twitter Bournemouth and Palace are interested in Gray this summer. 18 million asking price. Too good to be true, surely....

Sean from Enderby said it.

I'd take that with a huge pinch of salt. 

• Like 3

I'm sure he will have a good career but unfortunately it probably won't be with us. When he first came to us, he was fearless and used his pace well but he's overcomplicated his game the last few years resulting in poor end product. 

He needs to go back to basics imo, get the ball, beat a man and cross it early. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shailen said:

I'm sure he will have a good career but unfortunately it probably won't be with us. When he first came to us, he was fearless and used his pace well but he's overcomplicated his game the last few years resulting in poor end product. 

He needs to go back to basics imo, get the ball, beat a man and cross it early. 

When he came to us he had something to prove. Since then he's become entitled and sulky. 

He needs a kick up the arse by a manager who's prepared to tell him he's not that good. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

When he came to us he had something to prove. Since then he's become entitled and sulky. 

He needs a kick up the arse by a manager who's prepared to tell him he's not that good. 

Thats it, he will never get any better, he has played against some of the best defenders in the world and he is not  getting past them, on the whole his first touch is awful, his good games for us can be counted on one hand, get him moved on and let the club bring another in.

I actually think the general opinions of DG are a bit harsh. You just have to be at an extremely high level to play consistently well at the premier league level, he simply isnt good enough.

I constantly see people questioning his attitude which I genuinely don’t think is the problem. He, like many others were boosted to the premier league because he has pace, with the hope that his all round game would improve to a premier league level as he matured. It hasn’t unfortunately. 

Thats not necessarily his fault, nor a sign he has a bad attitude. Just the reality of how hard it is to be a premier league winger, at least at the level we are aiming for. 

It is finally time we cash in and accept its just not worked out. I’d still be extremely surprised if we didn’t turn a profit on him 

Edited by Lambert09