Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, nnfox said:

I'm supposed to be going to the Isle of Wight Festival.  It runs from Thursday 17th - Sunday 20th June.

:facepalm:

Wonder if they'll be able to postpone it for a week, i'm chalked down for 2000 trees which is slap bang inbetween the semis and final of the euro championships. Could be a mental week! haha

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

There are quite a few studies which suggest pandemics tend to last around 18 months on average, so this would just about suit that timescale.

Being a pessimistic Leicester fan, I can already sense fans being allowed into Wembley just after we're knocked out by a last minute own goal. Next season may the most attended pre-season games on record, if all is to be believed. 

Surely that's a good thing?

Why would you want to be in there for that?

It's a lot to take in ain't it? Going from nothing to seeing what could be in 4 months.

I don't know whether to feel cautious or excited. I don't whether to pre book meetings with family and friends I've barely seen, or whether to hold off. 

It's just a really strange feeling. The thought of normality makes me feel anxious but equally I can't wait.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

We will still get positive tests, just not from those most at risk.  We are now approaching the point where most of the country is living under restrictions to protect a small minority, at vast cost.

The switch to LF testing will see the rates come down.  As will seasonality.  The problem is, Boris has to ensure that restrictions are lifted in line with how the rates are likely to fall between now and July.  Data would suggest a lengthy but steady drop off, therefore we've got a lengthy easing of restrictions.  What he wouldn't do, is to ease off completely and still see rates continue to drop off at a lengthy and steady rate.  This will put the whole why lockdown in the first place argument back at the forefront and he won't want that.  Much easier to go with cautious in line with data approach rather than entertain the "but if we lift lockdown everything goes through the roof" argument for which there is little evidence either way.  Contrast that with emerging data in the US though and it's becoming clearer that lockdowns vs no lockdowns hasn't shown any clear benefits with similar outcomes achieved going either way.

It will be interesting to see what Whitty/Valance say about it in 15 minutes time but I'm expecting a slide of doom or "projections" in there somewhere should they be in attendance.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

Fvck off Kuenssberg.

"I know you won't want to put figures on how many more will die, but what sort of numbers do you think will die?"

Is she the moron that said 'And when do you expect to be able to tell people Coronavirus is finally all over?' About 30 seconds after they told us we'll be living with it forever like the flu.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Fvck off Kuenssberg.

"I know you won't want to put figures on how many more will die, but what sort of numbers do you think will die?"

Agree. 

But I'm amazed people still watch this shite.  All the stuff is leaked by this shithouse govt anyway to test reaction before any briefing anyway

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paninistickers said:

Agree. 

But I'm amazed people still watch this shite.  All the stuff is leaked by this shithouse govt anyway to test reaction before any briefing anyway

Yeah I'm only watching it on my laptop in my office so I don't have to be in the same room as the wife and kids tbf