Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

By far and away my favourite player. He is the metronome that makes us tick. He sets the shape and tempo for the whole team. That isn't always about playing killer balls. It's about providing shape and structure to the build up. He isn't the fastest, but is always on the move and his football brain is working constantly. There is a reason he starts every match for us and Belgium now. As he allows a team to develop and play. Plus I like his smile. He seems to have the right attitude and wants to both apply himself, but also enjoy his footie.

• Like 2

Take him out the side and you'd notice it. He works ahead of everyone else, summed up with that lovely chipped ball which Maddison realised about 30 seconds to late.

If he was in a full side of other quick thinking players, like at Man City or Liverpool, then his numbers would be up.

7 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Youri is the Drinkwater of 2014/15 - when he plays well we play well. 

Great to see that he's clearly a leader on the pitch, too - something we've not always been blessed with at Leicester.

I think this too, but better than DD. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Youri is the Drinkwater of 2014/15 - when he plays well we play well. 

Great to see that he's clearly a leader on the pitch, too - something we've not always been blessed with at Leicester.

We weren't really that dependent on Drinkwater. He was another cog in a well oiled machine. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante were the standouts. Also, Tielemans is a far better player than Drinkwater ever was as an individual. Better technically, better vision, better passer, more intelligent. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Koke said:

We weren't really that dependent on Drinkwater. He was another cog in a well oiled machine. Vardy, Mahrez, Kante were the standouts. Also, Tielemans is a far better player than Drinkwater ever was as an individual. Better technically, better vision, better passer, more intelligent. 

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing the two as footballers. 

But in terms of how important they are to the overall team performance, I think they're fairly comparable!

Youri plays the game incredibly. Rarely takes more than 2 touches and see's the pitch almost like he's sat in the stands. The only disappointing thing about him so far has been his shooting. I had always thought he was a bit of Gerrard/Lampard in that he had a good finish in him. He's very erratic though, much like Maddison.

I thought we'd be seeing this on a sem- regular basis :D

Edited by filbertway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 05:46, Finnegan said:

I personally think his inconsistency is over exaggerated on here. A lot of the times he gets slated for having quieter performances, there's just absolutely **** all moving in front of him to find. 

A midfielder is only as good as the options around him. Moreover, his real strength is less carving out inch perfect, eye catching through balls (as good as those are when he pulls them off) and more just holding a good general grasp on the game. 

I remember saying it a lot last year and I stand by it, YT at 60% is still by far our best midfielder and one of the most important people on the pitch. We're so much worse off without him because he just controls everything.

Often that kinda work is a little boring and low profile but it's vital. 

FT has routinely been characterized by hyperbole - for better and/or for worse.

Top player, and I agree with everything else you've written, nonetheless it would be economical with reality to deny that he did suffer through a period of pedestrian-to-poor performances after the Return (and in fact was inconsistent prior), with his performances often mirroring the team's. 

Youri Teilemans is the type of midfielder every top club needs.

He controls the game, he sets the tempo. We are truly blessed to have a player of his calibre at the club and a player we need to build around to take the next step. He has a truly magnificent football brain. He is to us what Lamport, Gerrard and Scholes were to Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U. If he can get his goals up he'd be considered amongst the best in the league, but right now he is amongst the best we have

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

Disagree. I haven’t carefully selected these stats either, but he’s literally better in every department. 

69D372BB-4A82-4FA0-B0B0-8CFF53AAC0E4.png

I'd personally take Tielemans over Ndombele in the role we play YT so I can't agree with Stadt particularly. 

That said, you've just shown a graphic that shows Tielemans had played literally double the football this year then a load of "total" stats beneath. 

This is pretty much worthless unless the reader gets their own calculator out, you're going to need per 90 stats and even then they're going to be warped by the face we play much, much different football to Tottenham. 

• Like 1

Tielemans is now playing a less directly creative role for us and as a team we seem to be much better against the tougher sides. The ultimate professional who has unbelievable talent and I still hope to see some more assists and goals from him as we evolve, but right now his role as the number 6 rather than an 8 is very essential.

54 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Ndombele is a better player than Tielemans though. Spurs were shite yesterday but you wouldn’t say Barnes is better than Son because he was more involved in the game 

I don't think anyone would claim that Barnes is better than Son and I'm fairly certain no-one ever has. Tielemans is a better player currently than Ndombele though, he can't even nail down a place in the Spurs side. I'm willing to bet the majority of Spurs fans would gladly swap Ndombele for Youri.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd personally take Tielemans over Ndombele in the role we play YT so I can't agree with Stadt particularly. 

That said, you've just shown a graphic that shows Tielemans had played literally double the football this year then a load of "total" stats beneath. 

This is pretty much worthless unless the reader gets their own calculator out, you're going to need per 90 stats and even then they're going to be warped by the face we play much, much different football to Tottenham. 

Yeah, I’ll give you that - oversight on my part.

Youri still edges it on stats, but it’s his importance to the team that makes him a better player in my view. Like others say, when he’s on it, we generally win. 

AB77D9E9-6A18-4B53-BEBA-631807AFEEBD.thumb.png.47aabcc7922c76480c323c6e4d5382c0.png

Guest Hansifüx
25 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Not a chance 

sorry, but yes Ndombele is better. Tielemans has some major flaws. He might still improve some of them. E.g., 1. He is slow 2. He is not a good defender, 3. He is not really a goal threat  (I hope he will improve this) 4. He is not good in the air  5. He is not a ball carrier.    He is a pure "distributer and disentangler" and really good at that, and he has strength.  With the right people around him he is very valuable.  He played a great match against the Spurs for sure, but that is one match. How was he against Everton?

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Tielemans is now playing a less directly creative role for us and as a team we seem to be much better against the tougher sides. The ultimate professional who has unbelievable talent and I still hope to see some more assists and goals from him as we evolve, but right now his role as the number 6 rather than an 8 is very essential.

There have been some half decent number 6's in world football in the past...

Xavi close to deal to stay at Barcelona until retirement - Sports News ,  Firstpost

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There have been some half decent number 6's in world football in the past...

Xavi close to deal to stay at Barcelona until retirement - Sports News ,  Firstpost

I just hark back to his first dozen games for us where he averaged a goal or assist every other game and was electric. Still my favourite Leicester player behind Vardy.

• Like 1