Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Cengiz Signs!

We had 4 key players missing today which is something that has nothing to do with BR.  Lets now see how Liverpool cope with just one missing.

If Hamza had done his job, it would have been 0-0.  Rogers cannot be held responsible for individual errors but for tactical substitutions -yes of course.  Bottom line is though if Hamza had remained switched on we get a point - fact.  

Hopefully we get Vardy back next week and then we are only down to 3 keys players being side-lined.  

Brendan Rogers  was intimidated by A.Villa's performance in trashing of Liverpool so there was no offensive play by LCFC throughout the game.  Barnes tried to something but he choked almost all the time. When the team doesn't play up tempo pressing and offensive game, it's difficult for him to do well alone. It wasn't his day. Brendan Rogers knew his team set up didn't work. Instead of switching to a different set up, all he did was be brought in Hamza Choudhury for Mendy. The game is tied at 0-0, and the left wing hasn't been any productive, doesn't it make more sense to bring a quick winger who has pretty decent ball control and dribbling skills similar to Barnes on the left wing to force the opponent to retreat?

Perez hasn't been effective as a playmaker but if Brendan Rogers had switched to 4-2-3-1 formation, the opponent had to come with solution to stop the fast wingers on both sides which would ultimately have curbed Villa's tempo and offensive play. Hamza is really not good enough as a lone DCM but he would probably be more effective in a 4-2-3-1 formation. He has good technique and better ball control when knowing he is covered when committing error or misplacing a pass.

• Like 1

Just now, wokinghamfox said:

To me at the moment he looks like a poor mans Anthony Knockaert. But needs more time to get up to speed. Sitting on fence with one.

For a start he is much quicker, showed a couple of great bursts of pace which we need to encourage much more of, will be integral in a front foot press.

Plenty more to come.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wokinghamfox said:

To me at the moment he looks like a poor mans Anthony Knockaert. But needs more time to get up to speed. Sitting on fence with one.

No chance. Tony looked like he was running through tar at times. Ünder was electric for one or two turns tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Looks a fish out of water in premier league. Thank god it was a loan only. Still bags of time to make it work but no initial burst on scene sadly.

I don’t know what it is about the position, but so many wingers when they come into the PL seem to start really slowly. Hopefully in time he will become the player we have been after. Couple of good set pieces though and showed some good pace. 

Edited by rachhere

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I hope BR and co are giving him time - new culture, new language, perhaps a little low on confidence, rather an unpredictable situation both with the pandemic and with our players being so hit or miss....... much like i hope they've decided to let injuries heal longer too.

He will ned time but everything that concerned me at roma is evident so far

head down at times, and positionally needs some work, he often ran into blind spots for roma and infuriated fonseca.

I'm in the camp of those waiting until he’s actually started a game for us before reaching judgement. He looks like he might be quick and direct and actually be prepared to take a shot at goal, which is something we need. Admittedly, he’s lacked a bit of composure so far, but new country, new team, new team mates, new style - he can be afforded a bit of patience.

Some people were still insisting Gray would come good after about 4 seasons of very little. 

• Like 1

Thought he looked decent, makes some good forward runs and wants to get involved as much as possible. 

We lack clever movement in our build up and he offers that.

Only concern for me is he seems like he might be a bit selfish when there are better options but hopefully that's just him trying to make an impression and will settle down.

One thing that I really liked about him was when Barnes got the ball and tried to square it Perez towards the end of the match he was busting a gut to get into the box to get on the end of it. Something we often lack.