Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The “ I’ve got something to say, but it doesn’t warrant its own thread “ thread.

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Well that's pretty disheartening to hear, we're going to Lake Garda for a week in September and planned to have a day in Milan lol

Isn't Milan a bit of a schlepp from Garda anyway? 

Once upon a time.i went to Garda itself on Garda. I loved it. But the places everyone seemed.to go to (and enjoy) were verona and bologna. Maybe worth checking? I couldn't be arsed and just stayed at Garda as I liked it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Isn't Milan a bit of a schlepp from Garda anyway? 

Once upon a time.i went to Garda itself on Garda. I loved it. But the places everyone seemed.to go to (and enjoy) were verona and bologna. Maybe worth checking? I couldn't be arsed and just stayed at Garda as I liked it.

We're staying on the south shore of Lake Garda, and it's about an hour and a half away from Milan. We've got the last day to kill before a late flight home from Milan, so thought we'd spend the day there. 

Verona and Bologna are both closer though, so we might try them, I'd like to see Venice, too, but it's far more likely that like you we won't move far from Garda and it's pizza, pasta and wine lol

• 2 weeks later...

Before the ban on smoking in pubs etc. I, as a non smoker, reluctantly accepted it. Workers next to me would be smoking, I would come home stinking of smoke after playing snooker. Upstairs on a bus was a no go and you even had to put up with it in shops and restaurants.

What a glorious day when that was banned

I realised yesterday what a marvellous achievement it was after I needed to visit the home of a chain smoker.

I absolutely reeked of it when I left and needed to put my clothes in the wash and jump in the shower.

Even now, 24 hours later I can still feel it on my chest.

Rotten, filthy habit.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Before the ban on smoking in pubs etc. I, as a non smoker, reluctantly accepted it. Workers next to me would be smoking, I would come home stinking of smoke after playing snooker. Upstairs on a bus was a no go and you even had to put up with it in shops and restaurants.

What a glorious day when that was banned

I realised yesterday what a marvellous achievement it was after I needed to visit the home of a chain smoker.

I absolutely reeked of it when I left and needed to put my clothes in the wash and jump in the shower.

Even now, 24 hours later I can still feel it on my chest.

Rotten, filthy habit.

how come you reluctantly accepted it as a non smoker? i don't see too many people smoking normal ciggies these days. i remember in the 90s it seemed everyone wanted to smoke. i think everyone is on the weed these days, as you can't go out without smelling it.

Edited by don_danbury

6 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

how come you reluctantly accepted it as a non smoker? i don't see too many people smoking normal ciggies these days. i remember in the 90s it seemed everyone wanted to smoke. i think everyone is on the weed these days, as you can't go out without smelling it.

I guess you didn't know any different. You went to pubs; clubs etc. and a smoky atmosphere was all part of it. Guy I sat next to at worked puffed away all day. Again, people did. As I said, even canteens and restaurants ffs.

The only time I could avoid it was staying downstairs on a bus. Had a row with a mate once over it. He couldn't understand why I wouldn't go upstairs ' It's only for 15 mins he said. Precisely.  Can't you go without a fag for 15 mins?

I get what you say about weed. Concerns me more when a car goes past an you get a whiff of the stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Leicester City being successful is weird innit, feels like an unrealistic FM save. I am beered up

I get this feeling every now and again too.

To win the league, FA Cup and Community Shield is great. Maybe because I'm buzzing for the season but I don't think winning the Europa League would be out of reach our squad manager and set up are that good, madness.

my YouTube feed  came up with a random 1981 episode of coronation Street. Sounds silly, but it pulled you in.

The episode featured one solitary line from.len fairclough (ordering Elsie a g&t), a line from.Betty, a line or two from.hilda, a few from.mavis and Rita and the remaining 20 mins or so bet lynch and Elsie tanner. 

Hypnotically brilliant acting.  A beautifully weighted script and..of course, an almost entirely female cast long before it was trendy to do so

Edit; apologies to.anyone not.middle.aged who.won't have the foggiest that the names listed above were household.names. 

Edited by Paninistickers

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

my YouTube feed  came up with a random 1981 episode of coronation Street. Sounds silly, but it pulled you in.

The episode featured one solitary line from.len fairclough (ordering Elsie a g&t), a line from.Betty, a line or two from.hilda, a few from.mavis and Rita and the remaining 20 mins or so bet lynch and Elsie tanner. 

Hypnotically brilliant acting.  A beautifully weighted script and..of course, an almost entirely female cast long before it was trendy to do so

Edit; apologies to.anyone not.middle.aged who.won't have the foggiest that the names listed above were household.names. 

Just purely out of curiosity, do you have the link? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I know someone who had pin up of Violet Carson (Ena Sharples) in their bedroom.

Nothing tacky you understand, just her head & shoulders (plus hair net of course).

True story.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

Election day to day in Zambia.

WhatsApp has been blocked, unless you use a VPN. There were rumours all of the Internet will be cut. We'll see.

I've seen some videos of violence, not sure when they are from though. So taking everything with a pinch of salt.

What's for sure though is it has been a huge turnout.

I'll get to work on the fundraising thing for youth football equipment once things have settled here. It would have been pointless putting out feelers prior to the election as it is the main thing everyone has been thinking about.

Anyway, I thought I'd do a quick update!

Edit:

⚠️ Update: Real-time network data confirm that social media and messaging platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Messenger are now restricted in #Zambia on election day in addition to the earlier WhatsApp restriction #ZambiaDecides2021

📰 https://t.co/pTzmnesKzP https://t.co/Nw58eCTfu8

Edited by Merging Cultures
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Stephen Fry is quite possibly the greatest human being on the planet 

Are you talking about those currently alive or those that were greater but have since passed on? Effectively, they are still "on the planet*

21 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Are you talking about those currently alive or those that were greater but have since passed on? Effectively, they are still "on the planet*

Those who are currently alive old chap. I think Stephen Fry is a gift. A once in a generation genius, and someone I admire greatly.

• Like 2