Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Brighton (H) - Match Thread

We essentially have two teams of players. One that play this system and another who have been playing the midweek fixtures (ie under and barnes). It's about squad management at this stage of the season. If we do a job on these and then in midweek start under, barnes etc and win that game then it will look like a masterstroke. Players need rotating at this time of the season. No need to panic. Win this and go third, in December, sometimes I think this fan base act a little bit entitled which is a shame.

• Like 1

As I tried to say in the pre-match thread Fofana has only ever played consistently in a back 3. He's 19 - only had limited experience of the Premier league - and while I think he's been brilliant on the whole - has a few mistakes in him. 

If Soyuncu was fit I'm sure we'd be a back 4. Given injuries and Ndidi Still finding his fitness - he's being rightly cautious. I'd much prefer a back 4 myself - but there's no point being better as an attacking side while leaking goals ag the back too.

Brighton aren't a bad side. In fact as shown by Fulham just drawing with Liverpool - the Premier league is all about those small margins and you cant take.any team for granted.

There's subs there capable of changing the formation and tactics later in the game if necessary. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, matty98 said:

What sort of message does it send to Barnes, Under and Thomas? "Play as well as you like, you still won't start league matches."

More likely he's managing the squad and we likely have "two teams" now with groups of players that play together. E.g. Barnes and Under play together when we play a system that uses both, and both played really well midweek. Wouldn't surprise me if we start with both against Everton for example, and Rodgers keep players fresh by doing this.

I remember AC Milan back in the 90's had essentially two teams, one to play the European games and one to play Serie A games when they were the dominant team around.

I think he will have told specific players already which games he has planned to use them in, meaning that they can play at 100% in the games they are selected in and still be kept fresh.

14 minutes ago, AjcW said:

All to cope with Lamptey.... who isn't in the squad.... lol 

14 minutes ago, Swarles Barkley said:

5 at the back to cope with Lamptey

who isnt playing

I doubt it.  Playing 5 atb gives you just the wingbacks on the flanks.  Four at the back gives you more width with wingers that would help occupy or double up on Lamptey.

....If he were playing.

I was really hoping to see Cengiz and Barnes though :(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matty98 said:

What sort of message does it send to Barnes, Under and Thomas? "Play as well as you like, you still won't start league matches."

What sort of message does it send to Perez ?! Scoring and playing well in the prem last week. Yeah Under did well against some Greek farmers on Thursday, but I’m not convinced about him in the prem