Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jakemoore

The Super League

I'm not sure why the interviewer didn't point out that Gary Neville wasn't criticising the players or Klopp himself, but instead was criticising the owners who perpetuate and monetise the 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and 'This Means More' slogans and yet actually don't give a semblance of a sh*t about the fans.

You can, quite rightly, criticise those slogans when the club does things like this. And it will rile fans because those slogans mean something to them - the fans have completely bought into them and, to an extent, live their lives by them.

The slogans aren't just between the fans and the players. The club turns them into lifestyles and profits from them and should 100% be called out on their hypocrisy.

15 minutes ago, Tim'llFixIt said:

You really can't slate the guy, he's had the bollocks to stand in the telly and tell them that the hopes the plans and dreams of his CEO are shite and he hopes they fail ... Football or not there's not many that would do that.

Hopefully that's the first step, if Messi and Ronaldo come out and speak up the battle is half won

I didn't.

Klopp a bit out order for me there. Sometimes you just have to say you know what, everyone’s entitled to their own opinion I’ve not been involved in this and I can’t defend it. Having a go at Neville there is too much deflection, you’ve even got Scousers who can’t stand Gary Neville backing him up here on his Super League views. Liverpool’s owners have made an error, Klopp doesn’t need to speak for them. 

Edited by GingerrrFox
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kingleicester said:

Na not having that!! He didn’t have to say anything!! Fair play to him 

I'm really not having a go at Milner, good for him, as I said, but it's a very different thing for a player with a potential future in the Super League speaking out to one who is on the cusp of retirement.  Perhaps he didn't need to say anything but he was being interviewed and asked about it.

31 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Our club made a 67 million loss last year, that's a debt we have to service, plus all the debts we'll accrue this season. All this on a much reduced TV income. Atm we don't need to sell players and can hold out for top dollar, that won't last. 

Its not certain the owners would want to stay once the money and prestige has left the league. 

You're kidding yourself if you think the league will improve once these teams have left/been banned. 

You have to take you City glasses off, this isn't about 1 club or 2 clubs, its about the soul of football.

Presumably there are a few empty spaces at the head of uefa with all of the scumbags leaving. Wonder if any of our executives will be asked to represent England with how the game moves forward, presumably someone like whelan can influence the game for good unlike someone like woodward.

We also could be very influential in the premier league if they do leave there too. Might be actually good for the game moving forward having a team that has been down in league 1 and the championship having a bigger say rather than hedgefunds as they will have a better understanding of the football pyramid. 

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

You have to take you City glasses off, this isn't about 1 club or 2 clubs, its about the soul of football.

You think I don't want to see those bastards suffer? It's no good cutting off your nose to spite you face though. The best outcome here would be this being stopped somehow and we all return to the status quo. It's no good saving football's soul if half the clubs go bust. 

21 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You're asking people to pour money into the club with no hope of a return and very little glory. It's nothing against the owners, it's just common sense. 

The shirt sponsorship isn't going to be worth much if nobody is watching on TV. 

...I think you are wrong...only time will tell!!!

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

I realise the fans of these clubs are in no way in favour of this move. But the fans of Sheffield Wednesday and Wigan weren't in favour of their owners putting them in financial trouble, and they have been given large points deductions that have essentially relegated them. This crime, from a sporting point of view, is much worse. Therefore there is a very good argument to relegate all 6 clubs.

Some people in the media have called for calm and compromise. This is a poor attitude. Whether these owners are dead set on this idea or they are just using it to blackmail UEFA, the authorities cannot tolerate that sort of bullying behaviour. Weakness from football would be detrimental to our stance and would disillusion fans even more.

We talk about appeasement – we’ve been appeasing these rich psychopaths for years, making change after change to make it profitable for them. I say do the opposite, show them we don’t need a single penny from them to enjoy football. Let’s not forget how LCFC was formed – by a few mates in a shed.

One of the most disappointing things so far has been the response of the managers. I know that they have been put in a difficult positon, but neither Klopp nor Tuchel have shown the passionate disdain for this idea that is required. Klopp looked like he was trying to avoid being controversial, and Tuchel didn't even offer an opinion. In particular, Tuchel has shown himself to be a coward. A man needs to be willing to put some things above their own personal success and this is one of those occassions. It's especially disappointing when both of those managers carry a lot of stock among their supporters. From a career perspective, they don't really need either club to build them a reputation - they already have one.

Footballers will be the pivotal people now. At the moment these clubs have no credit with the footballing world, no fans and strong opposition from governments. If they have no players, they have no product to sell and no chance.

The thing to note here is who the winners are. The answer is the Germans. German football holds all the cards because their fans are the majority shareholders. Achieving this now needs to be the priority for English clubs. Forget about how good our current team is. I don't care. I want a system in place to make sure we as fans have control over the destiny of our local sports team. If 11 season ticket holders put the blue and white shirt on and play at Vicky Park, so be it. Thousands of people will still go and watch as long as it’s considered Leicester City by the people of Leicester.

This has been coming for a long while. The Premier League and Sky have a lot to answer for – its them pumping in all the money in that has created a gulf, created a reliance on billionaire owners and have slowly made these owners more powerful and the fans more powerless. Too many times people have excused change because they are either deluded into thinking that money is good for the sport or that they see it as an inevitability that they need to be ok with. I remember a story about a German club a few years ago whose ticket prices went up by a 5er. They boycotted immediately until the decision was reversed.

And yet, where have the positive changes been? The authorities have had years to improve officiating. Years to introduce retrospective six game bans for players diving as a deterrent, rather than being apologists for this cheating. Years to control ticket prices for the good of the fans. Years to control the sort of people that can own football clubs. Years to bring in rules to stop said owners changing the teams colours, running up debts against the club, treating the fans like diseased cattle, and moving their team to a different city.

We’ve let them tear down our grounds, only to build soulless, generic bowls where you need a taxi to the pitch. We’ve let them bring in players who have been convicted of serious crimes against women. We’ve let them agree to antisocial kick off times like Sunday lunchtimes and Monday nights.

Football fans have sold everything out for success and now even that success is worthless because the very league and cup systems are being thrown out. We’re left with the only things we ever needed anyway – our memories. That is all the history and honours really are, a group of fans talking about the wonderful and painful memories of going to Wembley, winning trophies, beating local rivals, last minute goals and ‘scenes, bodies everywhere!’

The upside is that hopefully it will be enough of a wake-up call for English football fans, who are often too passive and accepting, to realise they need to take control of their clubs to ensure their future and, more importantly, ensure the sport as a whole regains both its integrity and the excitement it once had a shred of.

:appl:

5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You think I don't want to see those bastards suffer? It's no good cutting off your nose to spite you face though. The best outcome here would be this being stopped somehow and we all return to the status quo. It's no good saving football's soul if half the clubs go bust. 

But how do you stop it with having something to make them suffer, chucking them out or the threat of chucking them out is the only weapon we have.

A threat you are not willing to carry out is pointless.

Spurs, Chelsea, Man City haven't always been big clubs, even as little as 15 -20 years ago.

Football survived Man U being relegated to Div 2 in the 70s, the world didn't stop spinning 

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Hardly a suprise. Not sure why everyone thought he was going to be the moral compass in it all tbh. 

I wasn't at all, but there are plenty who seem to act like Klopp is some sort of saint, man of the people etc... it's all futile. I appreciate Klopp was in a big lose/lose but I do wish there'd be less of that kind of drivel. The bit at the end virtually confirmed to me as well he'll be partaking in it if it happens.

Part of me can't blame him, I just wish there'd be a bit less delusion.

• Like 2