Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Brendan Rodgers

I think BR is way too astute to take the Spurs job. They need to rebuild and they are strapped for cash, they have high expectations and a fairly average squad - it is a tough gig for any manager.

With us, Brendan has a strong and young squad, great owners and our fan base has relatively realistic expectations.

Obviously BR is creating more aspirational 

expectations with his brilliant performance thus far, but I don’t think our fans show the same entitled attitudes as the fans of the likes of Spurs and Arsenal etc.

Why would BR take a job with such obviously enormous challenges? I just don’t see it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Some good'uns from TFC this arvo...

898988706_Screenshot2021-04-26at13_44_40.thumb.png.e54c227c1822d2a8521181d43732460a.png

1378434560_Screenshot2021-04-26at13_52_09.thumb.png.3015987ed2231cdbeb6804138bd860bc.png

1297006804_Screenshot2021-04-26at13_50_50.thumb.png.92c15c83b22cd018942b12eee3d43ae6.png

1093304309_Screenshot2021-04-26at13_54_58.thumb.png.ea6235da577752c7ca0eee48f20f2461.png

A “Huge club” I’m relatively young but in my football following we’ve achieved as much in the top flight than they have, they’ve got top 4 a few more times but not won anything in how long, if wasn’t for their glamour stadium be another average team

Spurs arent like Manchester United or Liverpool where they can be mediocre for years and still pull in the biggest players and managers. Theyre closer to us where if they fall off for 4-5 years that's their status out of the window, now that poch is gone, their squad is mediocre and kane looks to be on the way out i think a few of their snobby fans are going to get a big wakeup call over the next few years as they fall back in line with West Ham, Everton etc. (For the record im not saying we have a right to be where we are either, we're clearly overperforming our status as a club but at least our fans realise that whereas theirs feel like theyre massive despite being a couple midtable finishes off of losing their big club status)

Just now, Kevin Russell said:

I think BR is way too astute to take the Spurs job. They need to rebuild and they are strapped for cash, they have high expectations and a fairly average squad - it is a tough gig for any manager.

With us, Brendan has a strong and young squad, great owners and our fan base has relatively realistic expectations.

Obviously BR is creating more aspirational 

expectations with his brilliant performance thus far, but I don’t think our fans show the same entitled attitudes as the fans of the likes of Spurs and Arsenal etc.

Why would BR take a job with such obviously enormous challenges? I just don’t see it.

I don’t think he would go, but nothing surprises me in football.

He might see it as his biggest challenge yet.  

What rogers has to lose here compared to what he can gain at spuds are very different. If we were palace sure he could go and should go lol. For him to build the team up now and where its going the project the success its way too good to leave it for major uncertainty in London. Would be a massive gamble. So for me no Rogers is going no where thats not to say in the distant future he won't but right now he's 100% leicester.

14 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Spurs arent like Manchester United or Liverpool where they can be mediocre for years and still pull in the biggest players and managers. Theyre closer to us where if they fall off for 4-5 years that's their status out of the window, now that poch is gone, their squad is mediocre and kane looks to be on the way out i think a few of their snobby fans are going to get a big wakeup call over the next few years as they fall back in line with West Ham, Everton etc. (For the record im not saying we have a right to be where we are either, we're clearly overperforming our status as a club but at least our fans realise that whereas theirs feel like theyre massive despite being a couple midtable finishes off of losing their big club status)

as a long suffering LCFC fan, i STILL go into every game expecting us to lose.  I can't shake that feeling. 

never confident!

• Like 2

Spurs have got to start a rebuilding project.  Seems like everything they've tried on the pitch hasn't really paid off.  The next two or three seasons are huge for Spurs.  Get it right and they can re-establish themselves as a regular top 4 team, get it wrong and they will return to being a mid-table team hoping for a good cup run every 10 years.

The next manager has almost an impossible job.  They need someone in to do the dirty work and get rid of what they need to get rid of whilst suffering on the field results that match that transitional period.

Honestly, they could do worse than Puel.

Edited by nnfox

I can understand why Spurs - and their fans - would want Rodgers, and why the media would pursue that narrative.

But if he were to consider it a good career move to leave lovable, upwardly mobile, well run Leicester - with whom he has a fantastic contract - for any of the detested Selfish Six at this moment, let alone turgid Tottenham, he would seriously need his head seeing to.

In truth, the Spurs job is a nightmare !

The club has a mountain of debt & a tight fisted GM who has made some very poor decisions when buying & selling. The fan base still believe that they are a title contender who belong at the top of the league.

It's truly a no win situation for whoever takes the job & Brendan is astute enough to know that.

I'm not saying he won't leave but he won't give up what he has at Leicester to go to work for Levy.  

57 minutes ago, Babylon said:

In terms of clubs of course Spurs are bigger and yes they have a larger turnover. But in terms of wages they don't spend that much more than us, because they have huge liabilities. At some point there is great potential there when they've lowered that, but that's not now. In fact it's the worst time to go there IMO. Kane likely to want out, squad needing an overhaul and probably not much money to do it with, other than whatever they get for Kane (which will probably be next summer anyway).

The one I'm more worried about is Arsenal if they get rid of Arteta, I think they are underperforming far more considering what they've got. Their debt isn't very high, high turnover and I think far more scope to change the squad IMO. Just depends on whether Rodgers fancies the turmoil that seems to have surrounded them for years now. 

Surely as long as he’s paid well with us, gets along with the players and owners, and still think there’s a project here, he’ll be fine? Maybe if things start to suffer, I can see him leaving, but he’s still quite young for a manager and has got a very good job with us for now.

22 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Spurs are Everton who hit the jackpot with s brilliant manager in Poch. Everton are supposedly a big club but they're crap and nobody takes then serious. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Koke said:

Spurs are Everton who hit the jackpot with s brilliant manager in Poch. Everton are supposedly a big club but they're crap and nobody takes then serious. 

Spurs recently might be "bigger" but Everton have been in the top flight for the past 60 years or so and have won more than Spurs.

Both have won fvck all in the last 20 years though.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

Unless Spurs can match our salary then it's very unlikely.

If Man City or United (Liverpool would be 50-50) were to come calling then we would have a fight on our hands but Spurs are a club in what looks like decline.

They had their peak in around 2016-19 but they haven't had any successful rebuild. That's a big big difference to us. We've kept on hitting the target since Mahrez left Ricardo,Soyuncu,Castagne, Fofana, Maddison, Tielemans and the home grown lads like Thomas and Barnes. Spurs are still relying on several players from 16 like Lloris, Alli, Toby,Lamela,Kane, Son.

Rodgers will get 1 major role after us I reckon but Spurs would not be a good move at this point.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Surely as long as he’s paid well with us, gets along with the players and owners, and still think there’s a project here, he’ll be fine? Maybe if things start to suffer, I can see him leaving, but he’s still quite young for a manager and has got a very good job with us for now.

Lets put it this way, come the summer we might the a champions league team and an FA Cup winner. How much further could he go? I'd like to think he'd see next year out and really try and establish us. 

• Like 1

A nightmare job for any manager who’s got a good gig now. Bearing in mind they’ve just sacked a manager a week before a cup final and with still a chance of finishing in a European place.  It’s not like the expectations are low. Start badly and he’d be gone before the end of the season. They are almost demanding Man Utd type seasons yet are a million mile behind United in all departments. 

Just now, Babylon said:

Lets put it this way, come the summer we might the a champions league team and an FA Cup winner. How much further could he go? I'd like to think he'd see next year out and really try and establish us. 

Exactly, I still think with our group of players there’s more to achieve. We are where Spurs were 5 years ago; full of promise and talent. 

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

That's kind of a downer, good point though. I think we're appealing to him for as long as we feel like we can improve. Once he senses the higher ups are comfortable with the position, then jobs like Arsenal and Spurs become a lot more enticing.

• Like 1