Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Southampton A Post Match Thread

4 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Because no-one is prepared to run with the ball at defences in the way Messi and Barnes do. We all know it frightens defences to death. The one to do it was Perez, but on too late.

Persisted with high balls into the box that Southampton largely won, or low shots into the box that were just blocked off.

Needed direct running at them instead of playing across the box. Maddison looked crocked. Tielemans/Kel not prepared to run at their defence.

Thomas not good enough yet for this level and shouldn't start.

Barnes plays and we win that, so we need to replace the effect Barnes has....run at them!

spot on

People seem to be very irate after this performance and as someone who usually criticises us if we play poorly I’m not sure that this was all that bad. We had chances to win, sadly didn’t take them, but if we beat Newcastle next week (which we must do) we’re still a great position. Only issue is with Maddison, get rid IMO, don’t trust his attitude after going to that party and even Perez seemed to play better. 

I know people are worried about the last 3 league games but our record against the bigger teams is better than the so called minnows, the one thing I trust is that we will score goals, an I really don't think we created enough tonight, the FA cup final will be a borefest for the neutral probably end up 1-0, hopefully that scoreline goes our way.

• Like 1

Some of the comments here are just embarrassing.Lost opportunity,maybe but it’s not a loss.By definition,you are not given the  points if the other team are down to ten men.Credit To Southampton.Vardy is a worry and Madds head seems not to be in it.We move on and hopefully a few results will go our way this  weekend .

• Like 1

On a positive note, this is our second highest points total at this level in our history. As I said earlier, this had the feel of Norwich away last season and also Saints were wounded after losing the semi but we did not give up and put in 22 shots at goal. Shame vardy is worse than bad and Ndidi missed a sitter.  

• Like 2

Rogers out!   No wait we are third in league and a point might be valuable.  We cannot and will not win every game. We now have a rest before Newcastle.

Well done lads. Let’s see how everyone gets on before we get the knives out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Frustrating. Very ****ing frustrating.

I appreciate once they go down to 10 it’s just going to be 10 behind the ball and hard to break down but there was far too much sideways, backwards nonsense.

When does the penny drop ‘hmmm they’re staying rigid, not committing themselves, perhaps we should stop the sideways, backwards bullshit trying to draw them out and maybe try actually taking the game to them, going forward and show some attacking intent’?

At times when Southampton did attack our defence looked shaky, we looked like the team with 10 men.

Once we went 1-0 down we actually decided to show some attacking intent and realised oh shit, we’ve gotta go for this in which time we were quite impressive and had enough good chances to win it. Unfortunately it just wasn’t going for us.

But why it took us to go 1-0 down to stop the passive shit god only knows.

We weren't playing well in the first 12 mins against 11 men either. They got a few good chances and could easily have scored.

• Like 1

We have a week to prepare now for Newcastle, time to recharge. Another point on the board, one more that the chasing pack need to get.

Crap performance, not a dreadful result - that could get better depending on the rest of the weekend

2 minutes ago, copunk said:

Frustrated more then anything, but some of the comments on here are beyond laughable

"bottled top 4" etc

give your heads a wobble 😂 defo think playing Monday then tonight had a slight effect on us

1 more point towards glory 

Definitely, 3 games in 8 days is it really surprising we don’t look as sharp as when we’ve had a full week between games?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brooksy said:

We'll still finish top 4. Lets not overreact

I can see it going to the last game now - and if it does, I'm really not sure we'll get over the line.

A win tonight would have put huge pressure on West Ham and Liverpool. Now we've given them a massive lift, not only by dropping points but by playing so badly against a team with fewer points than Sheffield United since Xmas and down to ten men for virtually the whole game.

Let's be honest, the last 2 games we've looked very poor against midtable teams with nothing really to play for. We only beat Palace thanks to a wonder goal. 

Edited by Sunbury Fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Eskay said:

We'll need something from those last 3 games IMO. That's not a good position to be in given recent history. ****ed up today. Simple as that. 

You mean the recent history where we have beaten all of the 'big 6' already this season? 

• Like 2

Should’ve won. No excuses. We have always struggled to break down ten men. Always. Wasn’t enough intensity from us. A lot of it seemed a bit desperate. It’s another point that could prove crucial. Let’s hope the teams around us don’t make any ground on us this weekend. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Izzy said:

It’s not the end of the world.
Can’t just expect to go away in the PL and win every time
It’s a vital point and we’re still in a good position.

Keep the faith 

Booooooooo!! Why not? Lol.

I'm pissed off.  Credit to Southampton for earning that point the hard way.

We got 3 hard games against teams who dont want us to qualify for champions league. Newcastle can beat you on an off day so for me  it was massive to drop 2 points tonight.  I think these 2 plus a possible 3 vs newcastle could have sealed it.

Lets hope the others  drop points this weekend and all is forgiven.   This has got to pump them up though.

Absolutely imperative that united beat Liverpool though (at least for me). I think united is a shoe in for champions league so i will feel better if the others chasing us drop points.

• Like 1

WELL THAT WAS A DISAPPOINTING FUCH UP OF A RESULT FUCHING 1-1 SHOULD HAVE WON THAT TONIGHT BRENDAN DID YOU MESS THE TEAM CHOICE TONIGHT SHOULD HAVE RESTED A COUPLE ?? VARDS LOOKED KNACKERED NEEDS A REST NOT ABLE TO PLAY WEEK IN WEEK OUT NOW GOT TO BE USED AS AN IMPACT SUB SURELY CANT KEEP RELYING ON HIM NOW NEED TO GET A STRIKER HUNGRIER & YOUNGER  !