Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Big Blue Maff

Tielemans to villa

Emery is showing the value of a good manager to an also ran club like villa.  (God we need such a manGer now) He will do  great job.  Not sure they can be top six but let's see.

Youri wanted a big move to a cl side....  it hasnt come... and that's simply because he hasnt been good enough. He is a good player but doesnt make the difference often enough.  I wonder how the discussion went as his agent said " take the villa deal... it's as good as you can get"?

Youri had to do two things in the last 4 years. 1. Run his contract down and 2. Show he is a too six player.   He achieve no 1.

11 hours ago, jonny_wright said:

I hope Emery isn’t expecting any pressing in midfield, or any fight or battle….. I hope they get Ndidi too - be the icing on the cake 

.. there are a lot of bitter posts on here regarding Youri not staying here!!!

Would you really want him to sign a big fat contract with us and keep phoning it in every game. We need to be thankful that some other club has to endure what we have seen, let them have the frustration and the feeling of being duped.

Youri knew before he came to us, what his limits were, getting Champions League with us was the only way he was going to make it there, he was totally aware that his physicality was a problem for the bigger clubs, that is why he came here.

He is pretty self aware and manipulative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I think the general feeling is  its a sideways step from where he was 2 years ago when he refused to sign a new contract with us, because he wanted to be playing for a champions league club. 

Yes, I get what you mean smudger. But under Emery, I can see villa qualifying for Europe next season quite easily.

3 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

Yes, I get what you mean smudger. But under Emery, I can see villa qualifying for Europe next season quite easily.

Villa could get Europe. But the PL is crazy now. Little room in the champions league places these days.

We really ****ed it with those two 5th places didn’t we 😂

Shoulda, coulda, woulda.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smudger63 said:

I think the general feeling is  its a sideways step from where he was 2 years ago when he refused to sign a new contract with us, because he wanted to be playing for a champions league club. 

It is an odd one, maybe the complete lack of interest from any big clubs last couple of seasons when his stock was at its highest might have made re-evaluate his position, it does make you wonder if he could have been convinced to extend his contract with the right offer.

Maybe he was just sick of Rodgers and wanted out. He's a class player despite some below par performances, Emery might be the manager to get the best out of him. However you kinda feel Villa have peaked this season and next season will be a tough one juggling Europe and Premier League action, with clubs like Chelsea and Spurs unlikely to be as poor next season along with the inevitable surprise package teams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PAPA LAZAROU said:

I honestly can't see them finishing top 6. Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man utd, money bags Newcastle, and Chelsea who I think will be very good next season, despite the circus they were last season, will all finish above Villa, and in all likelyhood win the cups between them too. That leaves them competing with Tottenham, maybe Brighton for 7th and conference league again. As I've said elsewhere though, Villa should have a very good chance of winning the Conference league next season, and that probably gives them their best chance of making the Europa League, but no way do Villa make the Champions league, which is what Tielemans was thinking he was going to get by leaving us, when he didn't want to sign his contract with us 2 years ago. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Claudio Fannieri said:

He took a risk which has cost our club a transfer fee and whilst financially he has benefited massively, from a football perspective it has proved not to be the brightest decision, as he looks to have missed the boat to secure a club that is an established  champions league regular. 

How has he took a risk? He didn't turn down an offer from a big 6 club or any of Europe's elite. He just didn't sign with us. Where was the risk? If he'd had an offer from a top club in his time here then he'd likely have pushed for it. As is we were always a fallback as we would 100% have offered him a new contract if he didn't find a suitor.

He must be gutted not having to uproot his family. Playing for one of the best managers in Europe. Probably getting a very nice signing on bonus and salary.

With this being such a well run club, it's hard to see why he didn't want to commit to it. People calling it a sideways move are in for a shock when they tune into Match of the day first day of the season and don't see us on there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

I honestly can't see them finishing top 6. Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man utd, money bags Newcastle, and Chelsea who I think will be very good next season, despite the circus they were last season, will all finish above Villa, and in all likelyhood win the cups between them too. That leaves them competing with Tottenham, maybe Brighton for 7th and conference league again. As I've said elsewhere though, Villa should have a very good chance of winning the Conference league next season, and that probably gives them their best chance of making the Europa League, but no way do Villa make the Champions league, which is what Tielemans was thinking he was going to get by leaving us, when he didn't want to sign his contract with us 2 years ago. 

I think 5th place gets Champions League next season. 

16 hours ago, Big Blue Maff said:

I don’t know what to think of this , but if a kick in the balls really , I knew he was always goons leave but I believe it’s a sideways step , he ain’t gonna win owt with villa no way , thought he’d of gone Roma to be honest 

It’s literally not a sideways step, they’re in the top division and have European football while we’re playing Plymouth away next season 

The reality of where we find ourselves and they find themselves means it’s obviously not a sideways step. 

Unfortunately, for us, he is responsible in part of a wider problem of why we can’t call it a sideways step, however, I think people need to understand the context of it being claimed as such.

The whole hullabaloo of him not signing a new contract was because he thought he was better than us, a Champions League player, if you will.

Now he’s joined a team who are where we were, behind where we were actually, bearing in mind we made Europa League consequently dropping into Europa Conference League because we had management and players alike that treated EL with contempt.

Based on his reasoning behind him wanting to move on 2 years ago and last year, it is a sideways step, I can only assume he found himself in a position where beggars can’t be choosers.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DoveValleyFox said:

We had a half arsed Youri, now a half arsed Soumare.

Further and further down the slope we go.

Soumare has never been half arsed, seeing ol' bubble butt slipping n' sliding around the pitch, clattering into anything moving slower than him and being nutmegged is a sight to behold but you can't ever call nightmare half arsed :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DoveValleyFox said:

We had a half arsed Youri, now a half arsed Soumare.

Further and further down the slope we go.

I’d like to see Soumare in a midfield that can actually run, he’s looked half decent when he has someone like KDH in there. Putting him in there with Tielemans and Ndidi was a disaster because he’s arguably the more mobile of the three- and that’s still not great. Can’t say I’ve thought he looked half assed on the run in, more just physically limited because of those around him. Either way I doubt he will be here next season.

I think we'll fail to remember that he didn't sign a new contract with us because we had peaked and have been on the decline.

If we were able to push on with decent signings and investments after our 2 5th place finishes he should've probably stayed on. 

Villa are a club on the up with a great manager and plenty of funding. The opposite of us right now.

2 hours ago, sm1 said:

Villa will do well in the cups under Unai. They'll probably be one of the favourites for the ECL.

As they say, every dog has its day.

Villa are going through a good period, and I think they will have a good outing next season, however I don't think it's sustainable.

Wouldn't be suprised to see them fighting relegation in a couple of years time, just like Brighton.

Very few teams have real consistency in the Premier league whereby they are constantly fighting for European football. You only have to look at the likes of Everton, ourselves,  and even Burnley not so long back. Even more if you go further back to your Forests & Blackburns etc etc.

That's why, for the moment it looks like a good move as he'll be playing in Europe, but overall its a sideways step.

The likes of Arsenal, Liverpool,  Manchester Utd / City & even Tottenham are the teams where, give or take, you'll be playing European football most years. Those are the teams I think he felt he'd be moving too so it's quite funny he's ended up at Villa.

Edited by adejo92

1 minute ago, adejo92 said:

As they say, every dog has its day.

Villa are going through a good period, and I think they will have a good outing next season, however I don't think it's sustainable.

Wouldn't be suprised to see them fighting relegation in a couple of years time, just like Brighton.

Very few teams have real consistency in the Premier league whereby they are constantly fighting for European football. You only have to look at the likes of Everton, ourselves,  and even Burnley not so long back. Even more if you go further back to your Forests & Blackburns etc etc.

Yes, because the "big 6" will pick apart any team that starts to actually achieve something. Just look at Brighton already losing Mac Allister. Makes it all seem a bit pointless really.

Just now, z-layrex said:

Yes, because the "big 6" will pick apart any team that starts to actually achieve something. Just look at Brighton already losing Mac Allister. Makes it all seem a bit pointless really.

Totally agree. Those teams, and the Premier League itself, are like a secret handshake club.

I don't see Villa top 6, Emery is a good manager, but this season was the one to get in the mix.

Liverpool, were pretty poor for the majority of the season. Chelsea and Spurs shot themselves in the foot.

With Newcastle new found wealth, getting in top 7 is going to be a massive task.

• Like 2