Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

James Justin

Just now, coolhandfox said:

I'd have to agree, but handy to have a player who can fill in at RB, LB and CB.

Definately. Especially for the bench. Takes up one space but gives you so many options. 

I've been critical of him this season. Maybe unfairly at times mostly because I dint feel he is at all comfortable on the left side but hes been asked to play there and gave it a go ....  nothing else the boy could have done really but when you see him in a more natural position like last night....

• Like 1

Like others have said I think his natural position is a right centre back in a 3 man defence. The centre back position is going through a transitional period at the moment and I believe we are going to see players of a similar profile to JJ being moulded into this new hybrid centre back/full back role. 

A back 3 of JJ, Fofana and Soyuncu isn’t out of the question in the near future for me. 

• Like 1

I posted this in the "Do they mean us?" thread, but will echo it here as it relates to Justin and how his use differs from previous (And a bit of Timmy time too)

https://theathletic.co.uk/2161218/2020/10/26/leicester-city-rodgers-full-backs-pressing-possession-arsenal/

Difference in full-back usage
With Ben Chilwell moving to Chelsea over the summer, and Ricardo Pereira still on the sidelines with a serious knee injury that will keep him out until at least December, full-back is the least recognisable position for Leicester in 2020-21. James Justin and Timothy Castagne have so far played every minute of the season, on the left and right respectively.

This is not Justin’s first rodeo at full-back, given he played 1,010 minutes there last season, although just 100 of those were on the left.

The faces have changed, but so have the roles. While Chilwell’s interpretation of the position was as something of a creator and progressor, Justin’s is based on well-timed runs to add to the attacking threat.

Chilwell last season created 1.3 chances per 90 minutes, whereas Justin is averaging just 0.5 this term. The quality of those chances differs a lot too — Chilwell’s expected assists per 90 of 0.15 is much higher than Justin’s 0.03. Some of that could be explained by Justin being naturally right-footed, so perhaps not having the angles available to him on the left that Chilwell did.

It’s a similar story in terms of progressing the ball upfield. Chilwell was responsible for 14 per cent of Leicester’s passes into the final third last season — 7.9 per 90, whereas Justin has been responsible for just six per cent of them over their first six games, equating to 2.8 per 90.

Justin makes up for some of that drop-off with his attacking runs into the box and, although he’s only had two shots so far, the chances were both of high quality.

The first evidence of this was against Burnley on September 20. Here, Justin is hovering just outside the six-yard box after Harvey Barnes goes on a mazy run.

There is plenty more on this at The Athletic

• Like 1

We are seeing this a lot recently, with the likes of Tierney, Shaw, Cresswell, Walker, Justin, Fuchs, all slotting into a RCB/LCB role in a back 3 and being able to bring the ball out from those areas as well as being defensively okay. Is this a completely new thing, or has it happened a lot over the years?

17 hours ago, baldeagle said:

Got to be his best game for us surely 

Absolutely and he brings so much effort as well as talent.  Versatile as anything, willing work, although clearly learning and will grow in terms of distribution and positioning which is still a bit off sometimes. 

That run he made when he skipped through 2-3 challenges and drove forward yesterday was great. I actually said to myself “jeez Fofana is amazing” as it went off, then I was like “wow, that was JJ!! IMMENSE!” 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theessexfox said:

We are seeing this a lot recently, with the likes of Tierney, Shaw, Cresswell, Walker, Justin, Fuchs, all slotting into a RCB/LCB role in a back 3 and being able to bring the ball out from those areas as well as being defensively okay. Is this a completely new thing, or has it happened a lot over the years?

Azpilicueta under Conte probably popularised the idea. It’s most likely occurred before but 16/17 saw a big uptick in the no. of back 3s being used 

56 minutes ago, HoustonFox said:

Absolutely and he brings so much effort as well as talent.  Versatile as anything, willing work, although clearly learning and will grow in terms of distribution and positioning which is still a bit off sometimes. 

That run he made when he skipped through 2-3 challenges and drove forward yesterday was great. I actually said to myself “jeez Fofana is amazing” as it went off, then I was like “wow, that was JJ!! IMMENSE!” 

Yep I though it was Fofana to start with as well 

4 hours ago, majaco said:

If he played for Man U  Liverpool  Chelsea  or Spurs, he would be on the verge of a full England cap.

Southgate is probably about to call Phillips of Liverpool up.  He has completed the one Premier League game qualification .

Good shout. 

I can’t compare because I’ve not seen enough of him, but is Wan Bissaka that much better than him? He gets lauded as a defender who tackles absolutely everyone. 

4 hours ago, majaco said:

If he played for Man U  Liverpool  Chelsea  or Spurs, he would be on the verge of a full England cap.

Southgate is probably about to call Phillips of Liverpool up.  He has completed the one Premier League game qualification .

The Luton forums keep a close eye on Justin and how well he is doing. Some though only look on him has a sell on cash cow with money in the Luton coffers with the sell on clause.

6 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

How much has he come on in recent weeks? He's really benefitting from our defensive injuries and is showing his talent and versatility. Solid in the back three and buccaneering as a wing-back tonight. I'm really excited to see how far he can go :scarf:

Certainly looking far more comfortable now!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

How much has he come on in recent weeks? He's really benefitting from our defensive injuries and is showing his talent and versatility. Solid in the back three and buccaneering as a wing-back tonight. I'm really excited to see how far he can go :scarf:

Certainly looks more comfortable on the right!