Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Ben Chilwell

£50 million is ok, 60-70 would have been nice but he ain’t worth that much, if it’s anything less than 50 we’ve fvcked ourselves over.

But as I’ve said many times, if we were to lose one of our regular starting 11 players, Chilwell would be the one. Average left-back in all departments, dramatically overhyped just because he’s English. There’s left-backs out there just as good, if not better than him, for much better prices.

Losing Ricardo, Ndidi or Vardy for example, we’d be like “Oh shit, who the fvck do we replace them with”. Losing Chilwell I think many will agree that a successful replacement is more likely than not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I hope you're right but i dont see tagliafico as this massive improvement, i do think he's better but not by that much. I think if this happens then we've traded a 7/10 for an 8/10 if you factor in that tagliafico really only has 3 years or so left and chilwell can improve into a 9/10 then 20 mil really isnt worth it.

He’s much better than Chilly at this stage in his career. And there’s no guarantee Chilly will be a success... we’ve sold a player, and look set to buy an upgrade with cash to spare. 

Chelsea close to signing Ben Chilwell from Leicester City in £50m deal

Frank Lampard had identified left-back as a position in need of strengthening and looks to have landed one of his key targets

Chelsea are moving closer to the £50 million signing of Leicester and England left-back Ben Chilwell.

Frank Lampard is on the brink of completing a deal for one of his priority targets of this summer, with a fee almost agreed with Leicester for the 23 year old defender.

Negotiations between the two clubs have been ongoing for weeks but it is understood that if talks continue to run smoothly a deal could be sorted over next week.

Leicester's hopes of keeping Chilwell were damaged by their failure to qualify for next season's Champions League, with the player also interested in pursuing a move to Stamford Bridge.

Lampard had identified Chilwell as his No. 1 target to play at left-back and Chelsea have stepped up negotiations to make another significant signing, after the arrivals of Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech.

Chelsea are paying an initial £50 million, with further money believed to be due on instalments. Chilwell is the third Leicester player to join Chelsea in recent years, following the sales of midfielders N'Golo Kante and Danny Drinkwater.

Chelsea are also inching towards a deal for Bayer Leverkusen winger Kai Havertz but it is understood that, as it stands, Chilwell will be the latest new arrival.

Chilwell is facing a fight to be fit for the start of next season, however, after sustaining a heel injury towards the end of the last campaign.

He missed Leicester's last five league games after being diagnosed with plantar fasciitis and manager Brendan Rodgers admitted he may not begin training until September.

Chilwell's capture is further proof of Chelsea's determination to spend in this transfer window, after their ban was reduced in December last year following an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. 

In his first season as manager, Lampard guided Chelsea to a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League and led the club to the round of 16 in the Champions League.

Edited by Beechey

2 minutes ago, happy85 said:

Can you post the article plz 

Chelsea are moving closer to the £50 million signing of Leicester and England left-back Ben Chilwell.

Frank Lampard is on the brink of completing a deal for one of his priority targets of this summer, with a fee almost agreed with Leicester for the 23 year old defender.

Negotiations between the two clubs have been ongoing for weeks but it is understood that if talks continue to run smoothly a deal could be sorted over next week.

Leicester's hopes of keeping Chilwell were damaged by their failure to qualify for next season's Champions League, with the player also interested in pursuing a move to Stamford Bridge.

Lampard had identified Chilwell as his No. 1 target to play at left-back and Chelsea have stepped up negotiations to make another significant signing, after the arrivals of Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech.

Chelsea are paying an initial £50 million, with further money believed to be due on instalments. Chilwell is the third Leicester player to join Chelsea in recent years, following the sales of midfielders N'Golo Kante and Danny Drinkwater.

• Like 1

Those instalments had better be hefty. And his replacement had better be sorted too.

Bit gutted about this tbh but good luck to him. Throwing away CL football is looking more painful by the day.

Hope their fans understand football little more than some of the plebs that frequent the KP.

Edited by sdb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

If this was last summer and we only got £50m up front for Chilwell, i'd be disappointed but I think its a good price for us and I don't think he's actually that good. Probably on a par with Wan-Bissaka who went for the same amount last summer pre-pandemic. 

If we were replacing him with Jamal Lewis I'd be less enamoured but Tagliafico is in the top 5 left backs in Europe in my opinion and at 27 is in his prime. He will bring consistency like Ricardo does, we only have 2-3 players in our team that we can always rely on and bringing in another is much needed. He's also not so young that he completely blocks Luke Thomas long term path here. It frees up £20m for a centre half, striker or winger.

The problem is that this plan relies on thomas coming good, if he doesnt then we will need to spend more than 50 mil over the next 7 years to replace chilwell. If we got 65+ that would have been enough to sign tagliafico and fund a backup plan to thomas if he doesnt work out.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

After this we should refuse to ever deal with Chelsea again. 3 players in 4 years is enough. 

seems on par with Southampton and Liverpool. But we did incredible out of the Drinkwater deal. Kante we actually got 10 million more than his release clause as they were not top 4 at the time. Chilwell 50 is ok, I would have thought we could have got around 70 personally. Hopefully in instalments this happens. 

• Like 1

Not too bothered about the sale.

However I am abit bother about the continual view of us being a selling club, every year. Other clubs don't seem to have their players poached, every single year.

There comes a point where we have to put our foot down.

Also, I grow more uneasy with the fact we need to strengthen ALOT as it is (Not just in our 11 but as a squad as a whole) and we've just got weaker.

It's alright money but wouldn't say it's fantastic, I like having the big clubs pants down if we continue to be this selling club and at £50m well average players seem to go for £30m in this day and age so don't think £50m is having a clubs pants down territory really. Do we need the money? Well we're yet to spend anything so it remains to be seen how we move, how we strengthen, how we build.

Currently it just gives us more excuses rather than trying to fix problems but it remains to be seen what we do next.

Edited by Matt