Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
NewquayFox

Pearson sacked...

6 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

A slight overstatement that. Think Gillies, O'Farrell, Bloomfield, O'Neill, Ranieri. That's just the ones from my time supporting & there must be some from before that especially the guy in charge in the late 1920's when we came 2nd & 3rd in the League

Too young to comment on the others, but Pearson ranks higher than Ranieri in my book, probably O'Neill too.

• Like 3

I'm glad there's someone out there treating footballers with anything other than reverence. 

They've ascended to absolute untouchable demi-immortals in the eyes of society. 

Big Nigel giving them what for without any punches pulled absolutely delights me. Imagine the crushing realisation of your place in the grand scheme of things whilst Nigel Pearson hits you with a few f bombs. And then to look on as he gives the clubs owner a round of ****s too. 

Excellent. 

• Like 2

The moment that Nigel Pearson and Gino Pozzo became engaged in a heated exchange of views after Watford’s 3-1 defeat to West Ham, it was inevitable that he would be sacked. Pozzo told the players on Sunday that the decision had been taken in the best interest of the club. And The Athletic can reveal:

•    ⁠Hierarchy had concerns over recent tactical decisions
•    ⁠Some players found out before Pearson himself
•    ⁠Tensions in recent meetings over future recruitment
•    ⁠Some players looking for a move due to instability of the club
•    ⁠Pearson surprised by sacking and was relaxed with West Ham counterparts on Friday night

It’s understood Pozzo and technical director Filippo Giraldi had raised concerns in recent weeks about some of the tactical decisions that Pearson had made, bringing poor starts in the majority of matches after lockdown, and this was the final straw.

In a match Watford could ill afford to lose, it’s thought the decision to replace the injured Etienne Capoue with Tom Cleverley rather than a more defensive option of Nathaniel Chalobah disappointed the hierarchy, who watched on as two goals were conceded within the first ten minutes.

Pearson himself was said to be surprised by the decision to fire him and feels that results before his appointment compared to after speak for themselves.

The Athletic has learnt that discussions that took place over the course of the lockdown period between Pearson, Shakespeare and the club over an extension highlighted differences of opinion related to involvement in player recruitment. One element that is understood to have been disappointing to the club’s hierarchy is that younger members of the squad including Domingos Quina and Joao Pedro had not been used more..

The Athletic has learnt from representatives of two high-profile players within the squad that the decision is unlikely to curry favour with their clients who may be even more likely to now look for a move away from the club due to their uncertainty over its future direction. One former head coach said that he wasn’t surprised that there had been another change due to the “organisation getting worse” and that it was always “difficult” to work at the club.

Pearson’s win rate of 35 percent and points-per-game ratio (1.25) is the best of any Watford manager or head coach in Premier League history.

• Thanks 1

He's gone from a couple of non starters at Derby and a ****ing 2nd division Belgian side to doing a bloody good job in the Premier League with a massive pay off. Rep restored (if it ever had to be) and a nice break for him now without the stress of the next 2 games. 

All the best Nige

• Like 3

The whole scenario just screams Troy Deeney being manager at some point in the future only to absolutely tank a la Shearer managing Newcastle.

And I for one will be a happy man when that happens.

• Like 2

By sounds of his temper as got the better of him again! honestly I felt since his time in Belgium he came back a different man but sadly no same Old Nige. Honestly his own worst enemy... he's a decent manager as we know when he get's down to business but it only takes one or two words from someone and he snaps. Best thing Nige is anger management, otherwise this could see him end up jail one day.

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I'm glad there's someone out there treating footballers with anything other than reverence. 

They've ascended to absolute untouchable demi-immortals in the eyes of society. 

Big Nigel giving them what for without any punches pulled absolutely delights me. Imagine the crushing realisation of your place in the grand scheme of things whilst Nigel Pearson hits you with a few f bombs. And then to look on as he gives the clubs owner a round of ****s too. 

Excellent. 

I don't know where/if you work but I'd guess you wouldn't accept your boss chinning you if your performance was below par.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

I don't think being sacked can be a measure of success in football management. 

From memory he wasn't at derby long enough to be judged either way but from what I read about Mel Morris I'm not surprised he didn't last long. 

But Watford were hopeless and bottom of the league when he took over and they now have a great chance of staying up. He has definately been a success there regardless of what has since happened.

Let's be honest, Watford wouldn't have kept him on anyway and it wouldn't surprise me if this incident has been blown out of proportion to try and save them some money.

Ok he’s getting sacked for a reason, it might be his ego rubs up owners the wrong way, loses the dressing room for whatever reason, I don’t know Pearson, I don’t know anyone who does, so cannot comment on why he got sacked, but as our owners like him, he got sacked for failing there.

Let’s put this another way, after being sacked here, what has he achieved as a manager, other than be sacked.

6 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

Ok he’s getting sacked for a reason, it might be his ego rubs up owners the wrong way, loses the dressing room for whatever reason, I don’t know Pearson, I don’t know anyone who does, so cannot comment on why he got sacked, but as our owners like him, he got sacked for failing there.

Let’s put this another way, after being sacked here, what has he achieved as a manager, other than be sacked.

We all know Pearson is a builder and likes to have control over alot of aspects of the team. 

He never suited Watford's model and the athletic article quoted above does not surprise me. 

He doesn't suffer fools and owners thinking they know more than the manager is not going to go down well with him. That happened at derby with Morris and appears to haven't again at Watford with the pozzos. 

Could you ever imagine top or vichai trying to tell a manager how to do their job? Or do you think they would be more respectful?

• Like 1

A lot of Watford fans wanted him gone and are delighted with this. 

I generally trust the opinion of fans who watch said manager/player every week rather than journalists or other fans.

He belongs at Sheffield Wednesday/Notts county/middlesborough! He’s a builder of teams! We played great football and added flair with knockeart and mahrez over time! Also still the last team to achieve over 100 points in the championship. He’s a great manager that takes time. And I think to annoy watford the PFA should announce him as manager of the year after the job he’s done there. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

The moment that Nigel Pearson and Gino Pozzo became engaged in a heated exchange of views after Watford’s 3-1 defeat to West Ham, it was inevitable that he would be sacked. Pozzo told the players on Sunday that the decision had been taken in the best interest of the club. And The Athletic can reveal:

•    ⁠Hierarchy had concerns over recent tactical decisions
•    ⁠Some players found out before Pearson himself
•    ⁠Tensions in recent meetings over future recruitment
•    ⁠Some players looking for a move due to instability of the club
•    ⁠Pearson surprised by sacking and was relaxed with West Ham counterparts on Friday night

It’s understood Pozzo and technical director Filippo Giraldi had raised concerns in recent weeks about some of the tactical decisions that Pearson had made, bringing poor starts in the majority of matches after lockdown, and this was the final straw.

In a match Watford could ill afford to lose, it’s thought the decision to replace the injured Etienne Capoue with Tom Cleverley rather than a more defensive option of Nathaniel Chalobah disappointed the hierarchy, who watched on as two goals were conceded within the first ten minutes.

Pearson himself was said to be surprised by the decision to fire him and feels that results before his appointment compared to after speak for themselves.

The Athletic has learnt that discussions that took place over the course of the lockdown period between Pearson, Shakespeare and the club over an extension highlighted differences of opinion related to involvement in player recruitment. One element that is understood to have been disappointing to the club’s hierarchy is that younger members of the squad including Domingos Quina and Joao Pedro had not been used more..

The Athletic has learnt from representatives of two high-profile players within the squad that the decision is unlikely to curry favour with their clients who may be even more likely to now look for a move away from the club due to their uncertainty over its future direction. One former head coach said that he wasn’t surprised that there had been another change due to the “organisation getting worse” and that it was always “difficult” to work at the club.

Pearson’s win rate of 35 percent and points-per-game ratio (1.25) is the best of any Watford manager or head coach in Premier League history.

This goes against the grain of those rumours, sounds as if the players were on board with Nige here and it's higher up where the issue is.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Koke said:

A lot of Watford fans wanted him gone and are delighted with this. 

I generally trust the opinion of fans who watch said manager/player every week rather than journalists or other fans.

Not sure why. No Watford fan has been able to watch any manager week in and week out for years. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Collymore said:

I feel it my bones that he will manage Leicester again.

That's no disrespect to Brendan but when Big Nige is charge of Leicester the universe just feels balanced, it's like we're made for each other somehow... 

Head up Nige, you're an absolute legend.

Lets hope so

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at Huddersfield. They are “not taking applications” and have “already decided on a more suitable direction for the clubs future” than the Cowleys who were sacked today. 

3 hours ago, Angus Scott said:

So the consenus on here is that we want a bloke back who tells the fans very unpolitely to not bother coming to the games, tries to strangle an opposition player, his obnoxious with the media, allows the players to run riot on an end of season trip + whatever happened at Derby.  All these things conspire to drag the club's name into the gutter. Plus he has had the sack more times than Father Christmas.

I think if I was an owner I'd be giving him a very wide berth

Without doubt we should have a manager back who dragged us from the depths of despair of league 1 to the top of the premier league in eight years. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

By sounds of his temper as got the better of him again! honestly I felt since his time in Belgium he came back a different man but sadly no same Old Nige. Honestly his own worst enemy... he's a decent manager as we know when he get's down to business but it only takes one or two words from someone and he snaps. Best thing Nige is anger management, otherwise this could see him end up jail one day

What a load of drivel. You haven't got the foggiest what's happened so not sure why you're talking so matter of fact like

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I don't know where/if you work but I'd guess you wouldn't accept your boss chinning you if your performance was below par.

Love the subtly insulting if there Webbo. 

I work in a more sanitised arena than sport so I'd assume none of my bosses were capable. 

26 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

This goes against the grain of those rumours, sounds as if the players were on board with Nige here and it's higher up where the issue is.

its always been a higher up issue with Watford, if Gino Pozzo could appoint himself he would and frankly im surprised he hasnt but then again,Watford would be an even bigger joke for the manager sacking himself lol

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

The whole scenario just screams Troy Deeney being manager at some point in the future only to absolutely tank a la Shearer managing Newcastle.

And I for one will be a happy man when that happens.

Deeney seems like a good lad tbh. Okay he scored that goal, but that goal doesnt even annoy me, does it anyone when they know what happens next?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Love the subtly insulting if there Webbo. 

I work in a more sanitised arena than sport so I'd assume none of my bosses were capable. 

It wasn't meant as an insult, I wasn't sure if you were a student. Sorry. 

12 minutes ago, Webbo said:

It wasn't meant as an insult, I wasn't sure if you were a student. Sorry. 

No problem. Had me chuckling. 

In response to your initial query, no I suppose I wouldn't appreciate it. That being said football is a hyper competitive environment and it seems that most players like this blood and guts approach. 

Though not all, clearly.