Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Slimani

3 hours ago, Monsell1976 said:

Is that including the wages and loan fees paid by the clubs he been on loan too.

He’s not the only player in our sqaud dragging the wages for next to nothing, at least he’s normally fit and available when he’s here.

Makes me laugh on the forum, players like slim are slated for struggling, and in his defence, he’s not really been given a run, and when he did his tally was ok, and the money spent always comes into it.

Our wingers managed something like 8 goals 5 assists between them all season, but the hatred towards them is nothing compared to players that cost lots of money.

It’s not slims fault our d.o.f had his pants took down by sporting, he didn’t set the fee, and if he does stay, and Rodgers finds his and nachos confidence, which both have been destroyed by lack of game time, they could both do a job, but the likes of gray who has been given boat loads of time, will still be shit, it’s ok, his 50 to 70 grand a week is ok, he only cost 3.5 mill

My post was in response to someone who called Slim our worst transfer ever.  At £49m (minus a couple of mil loan fees and wage contributions), he has to be very much a contender and therefore the money spent is relevant.

I never said it was Slim's fault so not sure why you felt the need to go on a rant, however, if true, his rumoured bad attitude and inability to integrate with the squad are his fault.

If you want to discuss the shortcomings of Gray or anyone else you can do but this is the Slimani thread.

Edited by murphy

4 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

How much coin did we earn from his goals in progressing in the Champions League, just curious?

Enough for him to probably not even make our top 5 worst signings.

12 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

How much coin did we earn from his goals in progressing in the Champions League, just curious?

That's what I would consider when we call him the worst ever signing.

Granted only one goal against Porto but his goals in the league contributed a lot of points.

If he wasn't there and the unthinkable happened we could have been close to financial disaster. The 50 million could have easily been double that if not more had relegation happened.

Can understand why he ain't popular but he wasn't quite the worst transfer we have had.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sphericalfox said:

Iirc it was said that qualifying and going as far as we did secured an extra £30 million. 

Scored for Algeria tonight. Gonna be a while before he’s back for pre season. If Brendan wants to look at him we may be stuck with him, or if he keeps scoring then interest might grow ??  Nothing against the guy, scored some important goals, it just hasn’t worked out for him and we ended up paying twice what we should have done for him!

5 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

Scored for Algeria tonight. Gonna be a while before he’s back for pre season. If Brendan wants to look at him we may be stuck with him, or if he keeps scoring then interest might grow ??  Nothing against the guy, scored some important goals, it just hasn’t worked out for him and we ended up paying twice what we should have done for him!

2 assists as well

3 minutes ago, sm1 said:

Looks in good shape considering his lack of league action. Also with a team less reliant on the counter, like we're becoming, he may still offer something. 

i know there’s been many times he’s been doggo for us but there’s also been a few times he’s been stella. i’m still holding on to the hope he can be consistently good for us. 

yes yes, i know... someone call me a Dr..

Edited by MPH

10 minutes ago, MPH said:

i know there’s been many times he’s been doggo for us but there’s also been a few times he’s been stella. i’m still holding on to the hope he can be consistently good for us. 

yes yes, i know... someone call me a Dr..

Slim went Newcastle, hadn’t been there 5 minutes and was making statements how he wanted them to sign him on a permanent but after seeing him, they weren’t interested, following that his further loan spell at fenerbache was even more disastrous when they didn’t want him but he refused to leave.

Slim doesn’t want to play for Leicester and judging by his previous spells I don’t think he has it in him anymore, if he had it at all.

2 hours ago, FoxinNotts said:

Score one and two assists for Slim tonight in the AFCON. On fire ? tbf

Good for him, pleased he’s showing some talent.  He’s a good player but doesn’t suit our way of playing.  Let’s now hope for a Musa-type deal on the back of performing in a tournament...

Edited by car1os
  • Like 2

He's not impressed with Newcastle or Fenerbache. He did okay with us - scored goals - and based on Ian's previous form he may be a better shout on the bench. But Vardy doesn't want him at Leicester and he's got a year left on his loan contract.

3 hours ago, DerbyshireFox said:

perhaps we can get a Chinese club interested .... Rafa took him to the toon for a few months ......

1 hour ago, Foxxed said:

He's not impressed with Newcastle or Fenerbache. He did okay with us - scored goals - and based on Ian's previous form he may be a better shout on the bench. But Vardy doesn't want him at Leicester and he's got a year left on his loan contract.

Vardy is both a blessing and a curse IMHO - I wouldn’t swap him for the world as I think he’s our modern-day Mr Leicester City, but that’s our problem.

We’ve spent £70 million on 3 strikers in recent years who haven’t been able to make the impact of our very special £1 million striker.  Vardy is very much our No 1 Man and one of the best in our league, so it’ll be difficult for an established striker to replace him, and also an up-and-coming striker who wants game time will find their opportunities limited unless Vardy gets injured. 

We we need to sell Slimani and accept our losses.  Simple as. 

We then need to build up Nacho (I understand he’s had issues with confidence which if solved, bearing in mind we now have a great man-manager, could result in an improved performance level) and push our younger players to step up too.  If in January we realise there is no other option but Vardy, then loan out Nacho and bring in someone new to try to take Vardy’s crown. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, car1os said:

Vardy is both a blessing and a curse IMHO - I wouldn’t swap him for the world as I think he’s our modern-day Mr Leicester City, but that’s our problem.

We’ve spent £70 million on 3 strikers in recent years who haven’t been able to make the impact of our very special £1 million striker.  Vardy is very much our No 1 Man and one of the best in our league, so it’ll be difficult for an established striker to replace him, and also an up-and-coming striker who wants game time will find their opportunities limited unless Vardy gets injured. 

We we need to sell Slimani and accept our losses.  Simple as. 

We then need to build up Nacho (I understand he’s had issues with confidence which if solved, bearing in mind we now have a great man-manager, could result in an improved performance level) and push our younger players to step up too.  If in January we realise there is no other option but Vardy, then loan out Nacho and bring in someone new to try to take Vardy’s crown. 

Slimani has absolutely zero future here. 2016 was an unbelievably poor window - we were flush with new money but had lost the genius behind the recruitment - we paid £29m for a 28 year old striker after no preseason prep or integration, and tried to crowbar him into a partnership with Vardy whose double act with Shinji was one of the reasons we won the league. That was our first mistake. 

2017’s recruitment was a lot better, though Maguire tips the balance on that. Iborra did a good job for us also. Silva was a farce a full year before the 14 second debacle. However, while we paid a lot for Iheanacho I do believe that Shakey had a plan to integrate him in a double act with Vardy. Instead he got injured in his debut and barely got any game time under Shakey. Puel comes in, reverts back to Shinji for a few matches, with intermittent game time for Nacho Man amid his incessant tinkering. 

I still think there’s a player in there and Rodgers is the one to get it out of him. Whether he’ll get that much game time to build up the confidence though is another thing. Maybe a 6 month loan to somewhere he’s guaranteed to start and guaranteed to start scoring would do him good?

Let's hope this turns out like Musa did last year when he shone at the WC.

The problem with Slimani is his attitude. For that reason alone he doesn't fit in with the rest of the team. If Rodgers can turn that around then I'd rather keep him because he is effective at what he does and there may be games where he could be a focal point. At least we'll be getting something for the money. But honestly I'd rather we cut our losses and get rid.