Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

On 10/11/2019 at 23:07, wardyfox86 said:

What a guy to have around for when the fixtures start to pile up in December.

Playing devil's advocate, I wonder if we bought this guy as a contingency plan, a la Soyuncu, for the pending departure of Maddison? If we miss out on Europe, Maddison will likely move on. If we get Europe, then we'll need the bigger squad anyway.

This club is run so bloody well :wub:

With the lack of action Dennis has had so far, I was thinking this. If Maddison leaves in January or next summer, we take the 80 million and pull out a better midfielder that we had in our pocket all along, with the benefit of having a year of integration with the squad :scarf:

1 hour ago, jim5000 said:

With the lack of action Dennis has had so far, I was thinking this. If Maddison leaves in January or next summer, we take the 80 million and pull out a better midfielder that we had in our pocket all along, with the benefit of having a year of integration with the squad :scarf:

I will predict this...Maddison will become the new Gasgoine...(not off the pitch)...and will stay longer than some expect..

#if we get top 4

# maybe top 6

# If we keep Rodgers..

On 09/11/2019 at 01:56, Gerard said:

He's exactly the sort of squad player you want. I'd say alongside Choudhury they could both replace a top class player and the team would barely miss a beat. 

When BR says he prefers a smaller quality squad these are the sort of squad players he wants, Praet and Choudhury would walk into Arsenal's team tomorrow. 

TBF the Birch and Filbert could walk into Arsenal’s Team today.

We have been brilliant at future proofing, Maguire we had Soyuncu and Benkovic, and we have Choudhury and Praet for either/both Ndidi/Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans for Albrighton, Chilwell for Fuchs....point being we can sell, at profit, already have replacements, then purchase youth at the right price.....this policy has been in place for some time...credit to the owners and previous managers for buying into it.....I would be surprised if we didn’t lose one or two midfielders in January or Summer....Arsenal and United are desperate for an Ndidi......

23 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

We have been brilliant at future proofing, Maguire we had Soyuncu and Benkovic, and we have Choudhury and Praet for either/both Ndidi/Maddison, Barnes and Tielemans for Albrighton, Chilwell for Fuchs....point being we can sell, at profit, already have replacements, then purchase youth at the right price.....this policy has been in place for some time...credit to the owners and previous managers for buying into it.....I would be surprised if we didn’t lose one or two midfielders in January or Summer....Arsenal and United are desperate for an Ndidi......

I can almost guarantee we won't lose anyone in January.  Depending on our league finish, i'd be surprised if anyone will leave in the summer either.  One more full season with the same group, plus some quality additions could put us on the brink of something special!

29 minutes ago, Reg Vardy said:

I’d be surprised if we DID lose one or two. If we’re to sell one of our starlets then it won’t be done in January it will be dragged out for the next 12 months whilst we demand the highest price possible and make sure we’re equipped for when he leaves. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

I’d be surprised if we DID lose one or two. If we’re to sell one of our starlets then it won’t be done in January it will be dragged out for the next 12 months whilst we demand the highest price possible and make sure we’re equipped for when he leaves. 

The players will know that as well, none of them will squeal about it. The summer might be a different matter especially if we fail to get Champions League but no one will kick off in January. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a good start to his career here, I have been less impressed with Praet in recent games. His technical ability is not in question, neither is his work rate or ability to cope with the physical nature of the Premier League. But I think he's playing too passively in our team at the moment and though he makes nice passes he's not directing the flow of the game. Even though Tielemans is (quite rightly) getting a lot of stick recently, I still feel like even when he's playing badly he's capable of a killer through ball to open the game up completely, whereas Praet doesn't do it nearly as often.

I think he needs a bit more arrogance to his game. Maddison quite often does things that are a bit too arrogant / greedy like shooting from a ridiculous position from a free kick, but at the same time it's why he's got the confidence to have scored so many goals and played so many exquisite balls for us. He's good and he know's he's good, whereas Praet I think is good, but isn't sure how good he is!

It could become an issue for us because more and more teams are parking the bus and with a fairly heavy schedule we need to rotate Maddison, Tielemans and Praet to stay sharp. Perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel here though is that when Perez plays as a support striker / 10 he's actually done very well so that might be an option for us in some games too. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

After a good start to his career here, I have been less impressed with Praet in recent games. His technical ability is not in question, neither is his work rate or ability to cope with the physical nature of the Premier League. But I think he's playing too passively in our team at the moment and though he makes nice passes he's not directing the flow of the game. Even though Tielemans is (quite rightly) getting a lot of stick recently, I still feel like even when he's playing badly he's capable of a killer through ball to open the game up completely, whereas Praet doesn't do it nearly as often.

I think he needs a bit more arrogance to his game. Maddison quite often does things that are a bit too arrogant / greedy like shooting from a ridiculous position from a free kick, but at the same time it's why he's got the confidence to have scored so many goals and played so many exquisite balls for us. He's good and he know's he's good, whereas Praet I think is good, but isn't sure how good he is!

It could become an issue for us because more and more teams are parking the bus and with a fairly heavy schedule we need to rotate Maddison, Tielemans and Praet to stay sharp. Perhaps the light at the end of the tunnel here though is that when Perez plays as a support striker / 10 he's actually done very well so that might be an option for us in some games too. 

while i'd agree, i'd say it was quite harsh for him to be taken off instead of tielemans

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think people forget how many times he's been incredibly unlucky to not score in a few games now due to last ditch blocks etc.  A couple of goals next to his name and I think the opinion on him would have changed significantly. But its good that hes getting into those positions to get the chances.

5 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I feel like I don't quite understand the appeal of what Dennis Praet brings to the team. Obviously Brendan likes him, and he is getting playing time in both Leicester and Belgium's starting XI, so they're must be something that I'm not seeing.

I can see that viewpoint, especially in recent matches. I believe he's been signed for the build up play when we are dominant in possession against teams that park the bus. Praet is very technical and rather than just hoofing the ball, he has the technique to receive the ball in tight spaces, turn and then keep the ball going with a good pass, which is often played first time. Against teams that play a low block, notice how we spend a lot of time passing the ball from side-to-side - that's because we are trying to force their defenders to keep moving, and then at the right time, inject pace into our play to create an overload opportunity to deliver a killer ball into the box. 

What I would say is that in recent games he is neat and tidy on the ball, but I don't see him demanding the ball and / or grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and trying to make something happen. Maddison on the other hand has turned into that type of player which is why for me he's been one of our most important players this season. 

• Like 4

I can't believe Tielemans was playing deeper than Praet on Wednesday, doesn't make sense. Praet is the type of midfielder to keep things ticking over but also has a bit of a box to box nature to him. Last couple of performances haven't been excellent, coming in and out of the team can't be great for him and he seems to be the one that gets dragged at half time when things aren't going well. Good teams need players like him I reckon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I can see that viewpoint, especially in recent matches. I believe he's been signed for the build up play when we are dominant in possession against teams that park the bus. Praet is very technical and rather than just hoofing the ball, he has the technique to receive the ball in tight spaces, turn and then keep the ball going with a good pass, which is often played first time. Against teams that play a low block, notice how we spend a lot of time passing the ball from side-to-side - that's because we are trying to force their defenders to keep moving, and then at the right time, inject pace into our play to create an overload opportunity to deliver a killer ball into the box. 

What I would say is that in recent games he is neat and tidy on the ball, but I don't see him demanding the ball and / or grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and trying to make something happen. Maddison on the other hand has turned into that type of player which is why for me he's been one of our most important players this season. 

I was at first highly enthused by this guy. But last few weeks he's been very very ordinary. 

Your analysis of him is spot on. But right now, on current form, we'd have been as well to save 20m and included Mendy instead who frankly does.much the same in receiving the ball in tight spots and swerving out of trouble.

at the moment Mendy is fitter, faster and tactically better

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I was at first highly enthused by this guy. But last few weeks he's been very very ordinary. 

Your analysis of him is spot on. But right now, on current form, we'd have been as well to save 20m and included Mendy instead who frankly does.much the same in receiving the ball in tight spots and swerving out of trouble.

at the moment Mendy is fitter, faster and tactically better

Not sure about that ........ also I  am worried about mendy being targeted by more physical players .... strange we are playing soton tomorrow ....maybe worth looking back at last season home to them to see what I mean .....

Edited by st albans fox