Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

Watford (H) Pre-Match Thread

I'm not convinced we should mess with the midfeild or at the back at the moment, but I'd like to see Nacho start ahead of Perez after yesterday, just to see if he can capitalise on that performance and build his confidence further as we go into the Christmas merry-go-round. (And I'd like to see Gray and Perez on the bench if he can't.)

I like Perez a lot but he seems quite easily bullied off the ball and he's always falling over. 

I think i would bring in Praet for Tielemans for this one, as he's looked like he could do with a bit of a break. Wilf could probably do with a bit of a break too, but would sooner start with him and then bring Hamza on after we (hopefully) have a comfortable lead. 

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to make a couple of changes given the schedule this month and its not like we'll make 11 changes in the cup so need to keep odd player fresh. I suppose its a risk if we do make changes and then don't win. Maybe Praet for Tielemans and then Gray/Albrighton for Perez. Temptation is to chuck Iheanacho in but unfair on him to put him out on the right, probably given himself a start against Everton in cup though.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I can't make this one - won't get there in time from work BUT is this on Amazon Prime TV?

It is. Several matches in the league streaming at the same time. I remain slightly hesitant about their systems capabilities to provide such a service after watching their live tennis, but we shall see! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought Everton would be an easy game for us because their players would be playing for their manager to be sacked, but was proved completely wrong and they put up one hell of a fight.

Hard to say what Watford will be like. If Flores would be in charge it would probably be the easiest home win ever, but now I suspect the new manager will be in the stands, like Rodgers was when we played Brighton at home last season. That will at the very least make their players put a shift in.

On paper we've got more than enough to beat them, but as today proved it can always be hard to get over the line. Nacho's performance today makes me excited though because we over rely on Vardy. That finish of his at the death was truly superb, and if we have someone like that as an option then I think we look in good shape. The Everton game proved that if we have to chase the game we can put two up top and cause problems, so if we need to do it again I am still confident we should get a win from this game.

I think it will be surprisingly tight, maybe a 1-0 win to us, maybe Vardy from a Nacho off the bench assist again!

Everton were fantastic last night - not much to offer up front despite scoring against the run of play, but they nullified our chosen system very well and can consider themselves extremely disappointed to have lost in the way they did. 

I don't think Watford will be able to put up as much of a fight to be honest, especially if we decide to rotate, tinker with our system and turn up with a game plan they couldn't have prepared for.

13 minutes ago, rachhere said:

It is. Several matches in the league streaming at the same time. I remain slightly hesitant about their systems capabilities to provide such a service after watching their live tennis, but we shall see! 

Thank you. That's good then - should be home in time to watch the game on TV. 

Kelech has certainly put himself in contention. But I don't like the idea of starting him in one of the wide positions. He's just got a goal and assist coming on and playing central, don't think shoehorning him in out wide will do much for his confidence. Maybe let JV grab his goal and give him 30 if the game is looking comfortable. 

• Like 3

Everton and Brighton found a way to play against us. Watford will try the same thing: hang back, put an extra man in midfield, keep playmakers Maddison and Tielemans quiet, force us down our less-effective wings and then counter. For Everton it very nearly worked. Trashed all last season by everyone, but Gray and Ian are key to keeping up a vague title chase: in the last three games they've changed the game by giving us a plan b.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Everton and Brighton found a way to play against us.

Did they though? The combined score of those two games was 4-1 with 0 points taken by either team they mustered a combined 3 shots on target in 180 minutes. If teams want to play like that it may frustrate us for a bit but I really can't see many taking points off of us doing that. 

• Like 1

Without doubt now anyone who comes to the King Power will be happy for a draw. The fact is that we have the players who have the ability to break defences down and win matches. I realise it took a bit longer yesterday and going a goal didn't help but in Brendan and the squad we trust.