Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We still have... N'didi, Soyuncu, Ricardo, Maddison (at a bare minimum) who are potentially worth about £250m+.

Then there is Barnes, Castagne is 24, younger than Ricardo was when we signed him. Tielemans is 23 and can develop much more than we saw last season. Benkovic, Choudhury, Justin could yet develop, I have my doubts but at the very least you can get your money back. 

There is plenty of saleable assets already if people want to flog players off.

I understand the point, and the club WILL continue to invest in young talent, with one eye on development and sales. But they have to balance that with squad building, a team full of 21 year olds with potential with do nothing. 

Yeah, I get that and I agree with you, we do need a blend of youth and experience.

I would just add two things.  Firstly, buying youth does allow us to buy players that could become better than the type of player we could hope to attract or afford and secondly that if we do it year on year, those signed in previous seasons will have already gained experience and developed.  They won't all be 21  at the same time.  Those signed four or five years previous will be reaching their prime so we would naturally get that blend.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Tell me who. Show me a proven premier league centre half other than smalling. JT’s stats are off the chart and have been for years. I keep saying it out fan base are delusional. He is proven and if he played at a more ‘media friendly’ team he’d be a regular England starter. So back to the point ... show me who. 

Premier League proven is a myth - players move pretty seamlessly between the top leagues now. We'd be paying a premium for no good reason.

Soyuncu, Ricardo, Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi - all not "Premier League proven" before we signed them. 

I just find it hard to believe that we're scoured every top league in Europe with a £30m budget and the best we've found is Tarkowski. He's a good player but he's not going to get any better. It's not like this is a bargain deal a la Evans, it would be the 2nd largest transfer in our history - for a good (not great) player, 28 in November and in a position where we already have Soyuncu and Evans. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Merchant_Banker said:

Is he reading Foxestalk? If Ake is £41 million then 30 seems cheap for a similar player, i.e. decent international defender. Is Ake really that much better?

Probably not as good defensively but better on the ball, couple of years younger and more versatile (centre back, left back, holding midfield)

I think we’d love him here. If £30m is right it’s a snip for a young, proven, English defender. 

He’d be back in the England team by the summer and we’d be looking at maguire 2.0 

Edited by Lambert09

If they truly will sell for £30m I’d say that’s a fair price..

but it makes you wonder... how do you keep cags, Evans and Tarkowski happy at the same time? I’d expect all 3 would want to be nailed on starters... so are we switching to 3 at the back?

1 hour ago, casablancas said:

Tell me who. Show me a proven premier league centre half other than smalling. JT’s stats are off the chart and have been for years. I keep saying it out fan base are delusional. He is proven and if he played at a more ‘media friendly’ team he’d be a regular England starter. So back to the point ... show me who. 

I don't disagree with your post but I never read to much into stats and certainly wouldn't regarding a Burnley defender. Dyche builds around his defence and they probably make the most of set pieces (as Tarkowski seems to be a threat from attacking corners whenever I see Burnley). Michael Keane probably had great stats when he was there, he become regarded well,  but he's moved to a side that play differently and has never replicated how he was at Burnley.

I like Dyche, and he's done a superb job there, but putting a Burnley defender into another side is always difficult for me.

• Like 1

Would be a good signing at £30m. Proven he can do it in the Premier League and been knocking on the door of the England squad with a fair few years ahead of him at 27 years old.

This is one where if we brought him in and he was a success it’s unlikely we’d be losing him ala Maguire, Chilwell and Drinkwater as his age would mean that one of big six would find it hard to spend the £50m+ at that point that we’d be asking for a 28/29/30 year old.