Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

EURO 2020 FINAL. England v Italy. At Wembley. Thread.

I would probably make them favourites.

I think we'll have problems with their pressing game.  We didn't look brilliant in possession at the back lack night, after looking fine for the rest of the tournament.

We can beat them if they play like they did against Spain or Austria (particularly).

Have to say though we made it hard work last night and we lacked confidence, quality and calm last night, presume the enormity of it might be landing.  Feel like we fell over the line a bit, when we did dominate, perhaps the last hour, think that might have been because the Danes shot it.

I just hope we play well or certainly better than last night.  I know he set the goal up but felt the game passed Saka by a bit, I think I'd throw Sancho in Sunday.

Defensive midfielders didn't come to the fore till the last 60 mins.

Hope the age catches up with some of the Italians.

1) All we can do is hope England win and play well OR

2) England win

Will be mental, and will never hear the end of it, but that will be a great thing and nights like last night from an England perspective, make you understand the emotion that football brings to us, both the winners and sadly for the Danes the losers.

C'mon England, bring it home, even if the Euros were invented by a Frenchman!!!

39 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’m always fairly neutral when it comes to international tournaments…. Enjoy it more that way. It would be great if England managed to win, but I would be bothered if they lose. I support Leicester and that’s where my passion lies, and I’ll support any of our lads no matter their nation. 

Can’t really explain why but I’ve just always been very relaxed when it comes to England, don’t get that overwhelming sense of passion for them like I do my club, but would like to see them succeed.  

Previously I've always had it, but this year it just feels like I've picked a random team to follow. Nice to see them doing well but I don't feel nervous about going out, it'll just be "ah well". Maybe it's a coping mechanism after the constant disappointments lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Previously I've always had it, but this year it just feels like I've picked a random team to follow. Nice to see them doing well but I don't feel nervous about going out, it'll just be "ah well". Maybe it's a coping mechanism after the constant disappointments lol

That’s probably it, we grew up with that “golden” crop of players just to always be let down, so I ended up becoming more neutral. It is much easier coping with it, I can’t be arsed spending a whole season being given near heart attacks by Leicester, to then go through it with England!

• Like 1

Italy will give us the ball, play on the counter, try for an early goal, dive and defend.

We'll play defensive football, wait until Italy tires and bring on Foden and Grealish.

I'm not expecting a classic. I think Italy are the favourites.

20 minutes ago, filbertway said:

15 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

That’s probably it, we grew up with that “golden” crop of players just to always be let down, so I ended up becoming more neutral. It is much easier coping with it, I can’t be arsed spending a whole season being given near heart attacks by Leicester, to then go through it with England!

The heroic failures in 90 and 96, and to a lesser extent, the at least having a go and running into bad luck in 98, 2002 and 2004, you could learn to live with and forgive.

Then the abject showings in 2010, 2012 and 2014 (by which stage we were just being outclassed) were enough put you off caring too much that the National side were just not very good.

The pits was in 2016, as Leicester fans, back in love with football, had to watch Hodgson pick Jack fookin Wheelchair, big club players, and get shafted by Iceland.  

After that I was Club before Country every time.

I wasn't that invested in 2018, as we didn't play scintillating stuff, Kane and Alli were shot by the end, and the Begians or the French would have done us if the Croats hadn't.

Even this tournament, I was pretty uninspired by 7 ATB and being held by Scotland.

Then we deservedly beat ze Germans and thrashed Ukraine, and then by last night I got that sick feeling in my stomach.  Ah, that old feeling.

You bastids, England just when I thought I was out, you dragged me back in.

• Like 3

A few of us old 'uns were talking at work this morning and we just can't get fully on board.

It's a combination. We were all saying this team is very "grey", there's no character, no real stand out star like Gazza or Beckham. the style of football is trying to win by attrition. If we win this and personally I think we have a very good chance,  we won't be remembered for playing the beautiful game. Throw in the numerous close but no cigars  over the years and the we're going to get beat eventually feeling, playing in what looks like a tournament loaded in our favour by circumstance (Numerous home games and partizan crowds) it's just not what it should be.

I want them to win and if Italy don't play at their best I think we will but should we lose i'll wake up on Monday and just get on with it.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Livid said:

A few of us old 'uns were talking at work this morning and we just can't get fully on board.

It's a combination. We were all saying this team is very "grey", there's no character, no real stand out star like Gazza or Beckham. the style of football is trying to win by attrition. If we win this and personally I think we have a very good chance,  we won't be remembered for playing the beautiful game. Throw in the numerous close but no cigars  over the years and the we're going to get beat eventually feeling, playing in what looks like a tournament loaded in our favour by circumstance (Numerous home games and partizan crowds) it's just not what it should be.

I want them to win and if Italy don't play at their best I think we will but should we lose i'll wake up on Monday and just get on with it.

Come on, why the misery? It's great, enjoy it. I've also been around the block a few times but I'm loving it. 

:englandsmile4wf:

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Got to sort the midfield out, it was all wrong tonight until Henderson came on for Rice and Mount was binned. Mount was awful, I think we'll go back to a back 3 and it'll be Foden Kane Sterling in a 3-4-3, possibly with Henderson instead of Rice.

How good has Luke Shaw been by the way? Really impressed me.

Foden has nothing so far, why would you pick him over Saka who has been really quite good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Come on, why the misery? It's great, enjoy it. I've also been around the block a few times but I'm loving it. 

:englandsmile4wf:

I built the block..!!

Modern Football is for the players & fans to Enjoy & Businessman to earn a few bob....That was always so..!!

Football & the so called Beautiful game even Way back in the 50s, could be drab & unadventourous...

Italy,S.American Brasil occasionally & Not so often, played how many of us Imagined how it should be played....

The odd 2-5 year Team like holland,Hungary,Spain & Brazil,Argentina,Uraguay,Germany come along & push Skills & tactics further along....But they also

Played more often very average football, Fans Participation carried it along,Not always the performances....

Of  all the World cups, Euros..etc in reality the fans,für media-hype( even in the old days) Made the excitement..the results Made the tournament...

Thats what ifs Really about...because disciplined and Lucky shithousing is a major strength of Tournament football....und

Just Too many who forget that,und get their kicks, by Spouting & being miserable old & young geezers & farts...

The word Troll fits on more occasions..!!

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Foden has nothing so far, why would you pick him over Saka who has been really quite good.

Purely because of the midfield balance vs Italy who are very strong in midfield and I think Southgate will go 5 at the back so it comes down to whether we go 3-4-3 with wingers either side of Kane or we have Foden in there being thst link. I thought the balance last night wasn't very good until Henderson came on.

I like Saka, he's done well and if we stuck with 4 at the back then he'd start and I'd drop Mount for Foden or Grealish.

Be very surprised if Grealish doesn't start the game. Gareth's a very astute man manager, and I wouldn't be surprised if he appeases Jack from his sub on, sub off by telling him he'll start the final. Other than that I'd expect the same lineup and formation as Germany, baring any injury concerns.

It'll probably be a pretty drab first 45 minutes if there's no early goal, a cagey game where a set piece could easily win it. 

56 minutes ago, Dan Gliballs said:

Be very surprised if Grealish doesn't start the game. Gareth's a very astute man manager, and I wouldn't be surprised if he appeases Jack from his sub on, sub off by telling him he'll start the final. Other than that I'd expect the same lineup and formation as Germany, baring any injury concerns.

It'll probably be a pretty drab first 45 minutes if there's no early goal, a cagey game where a set piece could easily win it. 

Can’t imagine this at all as we looked worse when he came on for Saka yday.