Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox in the North

Stadium Expansion *APPROVED* Sept ‘22 - Details / Images Released on Planning Site

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Thing is, it's not a usual development which is probably the biggest that LCC planners have ever had to decide. 

However, I think that given the fanfare of the announcement it would be good club PR if they gave us an update if only to reassure us that it's still going ahead as planned. 

The biggest thing for me isn't how this would affect us as a club but more so what it could do for the city. Having a 40,000 seater stadium as well as an indoor arena could do wonders. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Thing is, it's not a usual development which is probably the biggest that LCC planners have ever had to decide. 

However, I think that given the fanfare of the announcement it would be good club PR if they gave us an update if only to reassure us that it's still going ahead as planned. 

Depends on the update. "We're still waiting for the tw@ts at the council to make a decision"...........probably not the best PR but the truth.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenTheFox said:

The biggest thing for me isn't how this would affect us as a club but more so what it could do for the city. Having a 40,000 seater stadium as well as an indoor arena could do wonders. 

Bang on the money, especially if they had restaurants and bars in and around the area. This coupled with the redevelopment around frog island will certainly add lots to the city in general.

• Like 2

On 18/05/2022 at 19:26, splinterdream said:

I think I'm right in saying the biggest attendance to filbert St was 47000 in the late 20's, what was the populationin leicester then, probably half what it is now, I don't see why they couldn't have gone 45,000, I'm sure the numbers would have grown to 42.000 regular attendance 

Yes, amazing as it seems Salford and Broke-on-trent were bigger than Leicester in the 1920s.....and look at them now. Even in the 60s, Nottingham and Coventry were larger than Leicester.... not now...

On 18/05/2022 at 08:20, Paninistickers said:

Has it actually been outlined how the stadium development will be financed? Same as Seagrave....is it anywhere in black & white how/where/who financed Seagrave? 

Not digging pit your own comment @KingsX....just curious as we all seem to be pretty confident in the source of funding for these projects, but I'm  unaware if it has ever been officially laid out

The loans for both were agreed and taken out within 6 months of each other. As everyone has pointed out every time his name is mentioned, the Maguire deal will have covered most of the Seagrave payments, whether up front or simply in the bank financing the payments

On 18/05/2022 at 04:57, Babylon said:

It is true, loans still need to be paid, which decreases spending power. That’s made even more true by the fact they stopped pumping money in (they have recently thought).

The beauty of a loan from Kingpower is that it’s more like borrowing from the bank of mum and dad to pay for your new kitchen extension, rather than a bank. 

As I outlined in my original reply, since their early investments in the playing side where Eriksson just threw cash at whatever big name was available, we've since pursued more sustainable avenues in terms of recruitment. Drinkwater £35M, Kante £30M and Mahrez £65M meant we never even got close to touching the title, UCL and various TV monies for years. Drinkwater and Kante's sales paid for Musa, Mendy, Ndidi and Slimani. Mahrez covered the purchases of Maddison, Soyuncu and Pereira. Subsequent sales like Maguire would have covered the purchases of the likes of Justin, Tielemans and Praet coming in. Anything left will have undoubtedly gone towards paying off the Seagrave loan.

We simply don't spend beyond our means (or any incoming sales revenue) Spurs and Arsenal had issues because the cost of their developments was significantly higher. Especially White Hart Lane. The only reason we haven't "pumped the money in" in the last couple of years is the same reason most other Prem sides didn't - Covid. It clearly affected KPs revenue streams and along with ground closures meant we had to tighten our belts.

In an unusually investigative piece of journalism, the Merc covered the situation with the loans here

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-bank-loans-training-2475803

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Rumour that the electricity building was originally a railway turntable and is now a listed building. 

I doubt that this is true as the railway was on the other side of the canal and a turntable was on the north side of the main station. 

• Like 2

Just now, sishades said:

I doubt that this is true as the railway was on the other side of the canal and a turntable was on the north side of the main station. 

It could only have been a shed it's not big enough for a turntable. It might have been part of the coal distribution rail system for the power station.

37 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

Rumour that the electricity building was originally a railway turntable and is now a listed building. 

I used to work at the old Millets on Granby Street in town. Absolute shithole of a building; miserable shop floor, dank dirty and downright dangerous basement and three floors above, only one of which could be used by the shop as a stockroom. There was a beautiful spiral staircase I'll admit, but the whole building had been neglected for decades to such an extent that there was a garden growing on the top ****ing floor. I once flushed a toilet on the 3rd floor to see if it was working, and the pipes shuddered as they got to work for the first time in a lifetime and it sounded like the whole ****ing building was coming down. 

One day someone from English Heritage came in with a photo of how it used to look. http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/LeicesterTheatres/TemperanceHallLeicester.htm Apparently it was the original Thomas Cook Temperance Hotel - his first business venture apparently, and the first building in Leicester with piped water. They were protesting because the council had announced they were knocking it down to build offices. Unless you're going to restore it to its former glory what's the point in preserving it in its current horrible state? 

Same for those buildings - they're disused and have been so for absolute decades. I'm all for preserving history but what's the point if it's not accessible or even worth visiting? Has anyone actually been to see Raw Dykes in the last 30 years? No. The club are planning to make them accessible though. Let them knock these buildings down and build a monument to it IMO. 

• Like 4

Went to the ground yesterday to relocate, as I’m not allowed to go in the family stand as my child will no longer go

Decided to go in SK3, as SK1 is now a singing block 

The lady who we spoke to about the relocation, said the new extension will start at the end of next season.

• Like 1

On 22/05/2022 at 08:40, urban.spaceman said:

I used to work at the old Millets on Granby Street in town. Absolute shithole of a building; miserable shop floor, dank dirty and downright dangerous basement and three floors above, only one of which could be used by the shop as a stockroom. There was a beautiful spiral staircase I'll admit, but the whole building had been neglected for decades to such an extent that there was a garden growing on the top ****ing floor. I once flushed a toilet on the 3rd floor to see if it was working, and the pipes shuddered as they got to work for the first time in a lifetime and it sounded like the whole ****ing building was coming down. 

One day someone from English Heritage came in with a photo of how it used to look. http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/LeicesterTheatres/TemperanceHallLeicester.htm Apparently it was the original Thomas Cook Temperance Hotel - his first business venture apparently, and the first building in Leicester with piped water. They were protesting because the council had announced they were knocking it down to build offices. Unless you're going to restore it to its former glory what's the point in preserving it in its current horrible state? 

Same for those buildings - they're disused and have been so for absolute decades. I'm all for preserving history but what's the point if it's not accessible or even worth visiting? Has anyone actually been to see Raw Dykes in the last 30 years? No. The club are planning to make them accessible though. Let them knock these buildings down and build a monument to it IMO. 

oh a garden eh? I’ve heard all about those top floor ‘Gardens’ .