Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Reg Vardy

Maddison

He isn't fit clearly but I don't think his head is right either at the moment. He talks a good game in interviews but he never seems to try. His body language and facial expressions on the pitch are someone fed up. I get he is probably frustrated by his fitness and form but show some fight and passion on the pitch! When was the last time he had a good game? I am immensely frustrated by him and Perez this season.

Edited by Hales
  • Like 2

He was our best player from January to February and then got injured. The frustrating thing is we know he can do it, we’ve seen it. 

He didn’t have a great game last night but really who did? We struggled to get our foot on the ball throughout, most balls forward were aimless balls into the channels.

When we did get on the ball, Chelsea were on our arses. Part of it was down to how we approached the game. A summer off will do him the world of good. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

He was our best player from January to February and then got injured. The frustrating thing is we know he can do it, we’ve seen it. 

He didn’t have a great game last night but really who did? We struggled to get our foot on the ball throughout, most balls forward were aimless balls into the channels.

When we did get on the ball, Chelsea were on our arses. Part of it was down to how we approached the game. A summer off will do him the world of good. 

Unless he is struggling for fitness, it was a daft decision by Rodgers to replace him with Iheanacho when Perez was having a shocker. Yes Maddison was not in the game but he has the potential to do something.

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Unless he is struggling for fitness, it was a daft decision by Rodgers to replace him with Iheanacho when Perez was having a shocker. Yes Maddison was not in the game but he has the potential to do something.

He sure does. I don’t think it’s been a secret that Maddison has been struggling for fitness. For what it’s worth (probably not a lot) I would have dragged Perez at half time for Praet. 

11 minutes ago, Bert said:

He sure does. I don’t think it’s been a secret that Maddison has been struggling for fitness. For what it’s worth (probably not a lot) I would have dragged Perez at half time for Praet. 

I look at Maddison and I wonder if he is still injured or is there another reason or could it be both. I like Maddison. He is a student of the game but his antics have damaged his reputation. Vardy also is struggling but was an absolute menace on Saturday. Perez is the one I am most annoyed by. He did try last night but for the money he was there has to be more than that. His miss was very poor and has probably cost us top 4.

20 minutes ago, markko said:

Perez is the one I am most annoyed by. He did try last night but for the money he was there has to be more than that. His miss was very poor and has probably cost us top 4.

Although I agree Perez is an average player, I don't think we can blame it all on him if we miss out on the top 4!  It was put in danger with the Southamton & Newcastle games, this is where we lost it, but you could also use injuries as an excuse and a lack of squad depth. 

Guest bennytwohats
2 hours ago, harpendenfox said:

Needs a good summer off. At his best, he’s superb. Sadly hasn’t been at his best since February. With him struggling, Harvey injured, and the goals drying up for JV it’s not hard to see why we’ve run out of steam

Agreed. We were basically a Nacho away from a decline that far eclipsed what we saw last year.

No shame on anyone for that. To me it’s just clear again that our squad can’t cope with the number of games we’ve had to play, in a season where we’ve been unlucky with injuries. This is where we really struggle compared to the likes of City and Chelsea who have incredibly deep squads.

A few more good additions, and a bit better luck with injuries and we’ve got good reason to be optimistic for next season.

4 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I think he’s a gonner. You just don’t take him off when you need a goal, regardless of how he is playing. He will be the one to leave in the summer I think. Just hope to god Youri doesn’t leave too....

He's been managing that hip injury, you don't run him into the ground and make it worse. 

Can anyone tell me how often Maddison plays well in "big" games?

I readily admit that i genuinely dont like Maddison as a person or a footballer as he seems so fake to me in everything he does (forever diving & forever wanting to be centre of attention!) so im not sure if its just my unconscious bias that's telling me that he never/rarely turns up for big games when it really matters?   

Just Seems like a "flat-track bully" to me who only shines against weaker opposition when he has lots of space/time to operate in....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert said:

Bang on. A decent rest and a good preseason, and I reckon he'll be back to normal. Our entire squad looks exhausted.

Maddison is one of a few players in our side who need the end of the season, a prolonged period of rest, and a good pre-season. It's recovery from injuries and stepping into pressure games and congested schedule that are slowing them down and contributing to a lack of match sharpness. Ricardo and Evans are two others in the same boat. They'll all be here next year and hopefully with a good summer under their belts, fit and firing again.

16 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I readily admit that i genuinely dont like Maddison as a person or a footballer as he seems so fake to me in everything he does (forever diving & forever wanting to be centre of attention!) so im not sure if its just my unconscious bias that's telling me that he never/rarely turns up for big games when it really matters?   

Just Seems like a "flat-track bully" to me who only shines against weaker opposition when he has lots of space/time to operate in....

Just this season he’s scored against Man City, Chelsea and Liverpool :rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

How well do you know Maddison as a person lol 

29 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

I think he does well in big games if the team do well, I know that's an obvious thing to say but of you look at his record vs the top 6 since he's been here if and when we have beaten them he seems to have scored or assisted in quite a lot of them.

Under Rodgers off the top of my head

2019/20

Scored the winner vs Spurs, scored away at Liverpool, scored vs Arsenal.

2020/21 he has been even better IMO

Scored a screamer vs Man City and won a penalty, assist vs Man Utd, harshly flagged off an exceptional goal away at Spurs, scored vs Chelsea, scored vs Liverpool

5 hours ago, markko said:

I look at Maddison and I wonder if he is still injured or is there another reason or could it be both. I like Maddison. He is a student of the game but his antics have damaged his reputation. Vardy also is struggling but was an absolute menace on Saturday. Perez is the one I am most annoyed by. He did try last night but for the money he was there has to be more than that. His miss was very poor and has probably cost us top 4.

This is the difference really, Maddison has been awful but he's shown he's actually got it in his locker when Perez full pelt is still irredeemable 

• Like 1

Needs a summer off and a good pre-season. He's behind Mount, Grealish, Foden etc because I don't think hes found exactly what kind of player he is yet, still lot's of work to do but he has so much ability. Easy to get annoyed with players like him, but Maddison in full flow is a completely different player to anything else we have.